• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH road rage shooting

Unarmed is irrelevant….But I am curious how the guy is doing. You don’t want to get shot anywhere especially the gutt

Unarmed is irrelevant….But I am curious how the guy is doing. You don’t want to get shot anywhere especially the gutt

Only one person displayed and used a firearm, at close range seemingly after an altercation had ended-how can just who had what possibly be irrelevant in a circumstance like this ?

You can't possibly know the real facts from a news article, so it is hard to make a judgement in 5 minutes of reading that might take days of trial and hours in a jury room.

What is standard is that in any situation regarding road rage, the winner of a physical conflict is considered at fault unless proven otherwise, with this assumption inverted if the winner is an off duty LEO.

Some states have laws requiring people leading parades of five or more cars to pull over: don’t think any in the Northeast though.

Mass did when I was licensed in '81.
Massachusetts and New Hampshire BOTH have laws about camping in the passing lane.

Massachusetts law requires drivers to always keep right unless turning or passing. M.G.L. c. 89, Section 2 mandates that drivers passing other vehicles traveling the same direction must pass on the left. Section 4B of the same law requires motor vehicle operators to always operate in the right lane, unless overtaking another vehicle, then the operator may move into the left lane to pass, then move back into the right lane after the overtaking is completed.

Massachusetts and New Hampshire BOTH have laws about camping in the passing lane.
What I'm referring to (even if @garandman wasn't) was a law that
if you were tooling along a narrow road with no passing zones,
traveling below the speed limit (? for whatever reason),
and had built up an entourage of 3+(? I don't think it was 5+) cars behind you,
you were legally required to pull you senile ass over ASAP
and let the people with a life get past you.

Nothing to do with multilane highways -
this is for surface streets.

A very casual browse of the current state driving manual
failed to show anything about that.

But the state driving manual changes.

The edition current when I got licensed in '81 specified that
you had to activate your turn signal 100'-200'(?) before a turn,
but turn it off before you actually began turning.
It might have had an accompanying rationale that
making a turn with your blinker still going
frightened and confused people in Massachusetts.

The underscored provision disappeared in the next edition.
I don't remember if it became mandatory that the blinker
keep running during the turn, or if it was now silent.

I don't know if it had reflected actual state law that changed,
or had merely been considered a Best Practice that got broomed.

Anyhoo, the seeming absence of anything about
pulling your senile ass over on surface streets to let a bolus of real people pass
doesn't mean it was never a law; because they keep updating the manual
to match laws and tastes. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

You can't possibly know the real facts from a news article, so it is hard to make a judgement in 5 minutes of reading that might take days of trial and hours in a jury room.

You know I was right there with you until multiple reports (involving police even) surfaced that this was habitual behavior for this guy…

What I'm referring to (even if @garandman wasn't) was a law that
if you were tooling along a narrow road with no passing zones,
traveling below the speed limit (? for whatever reason),
and had built up an entourage of 3+(? I don't think it was 5+) cars behind you,
you were legally required to pull you senile ass over ASAP
and let the people with a life get past you.

Nothing to do with multilane highways -
this is for surface streets.
I haven't taken a written test since 1979 (in Arkansas), but that was the law there and then.

Only one person displayed and used a firearm, at close range seemingly after an altercation had ended-how can just who had what possibly be irrelevant in a circumstance like this ?

The only facts we know is somebody got shot…

I’ll speculate a little bit..Since somebody got shot in the gut I’m assuming that was a struggle.

The edition current when I got licensed in '81 specified that
you had to activate your turn signal 100'-200'(?) before a turn,
but turn it off before you actually began turning.
It might have had an accompanying rationale that
making a turn with your blinker still going
frightened and confused people in Massachusetts.

This is not GTA V

NEVER signal a turn ahead of time when driving in Mass. It's a sign of weakness and provides an opportunity for someone to pass you, usually across the direction of your turn!

IF you signal at all, you can't activate the signal until you've actually begun the turn.

Amateurs...

I've been teaching my 13 year old daughter to drive for the past couple years, slowly but surely. Now that she's had a million mini lessons from me, she of course thinks she knows it all.

While sitting shotgun, we're waiting on a car to turn in so we can go and she tells me it's safe to go, because the car was going to turn into the road we were on. I sit and wait. The car passes the road we're on, and keeps going. We turn right and follow him for about a mile, right directional on the whole time, until it goes off and he turns left.

"How did you know he wasn't going to turn?"
"I didn't, but your grandfather's directional was constantly on the entire time he drove. I NEVER trust anyone with those things."
"Didn't he also say you were a safer driver if you were drinking a beer?"
"Yup - Grandpa was a great example of what not to do"

What is standard is that in any situation regarding road rage, the winner of a physical conflict is considered at fault unless proven otherwise, with this assumption inverted if the winner is an off duty LEO.
This. The media basically prints the police narrative in cases like this. They're the source of info.

NEVER signal a turn ahead of time when driving in Mass. It's a sign of weakness and provides an opportunity for someone to pass you, usually across the direction of your turn!
Amateurs...
I'm down with that.

In college,
fully informed by the complex ethics of Death Race 2000,
it was considered gauche behavior for us as pedestrians
to cross a street in a hurry just to let cars by.

The only time in my entire life where I really gave a tailgater their comeuppance was maybe 15 years ago. Someone was tailgating me on the ramp from 93 South to 95 South, in Dedham, maybe? Anyway the ramp has a subtle double left curve. It's a sharpish curve to the right initially, followed by a left curve that jukes a little immediately before the 95 straightaway. If you look left there you will always see tire tracks in the mud where cars have spun out because they skid because they were going too fast, overcorrected, and went off the road. Anyway this asshat was tailgating me in the left lane (the offramp has two lanes) at speed, so I said, okay, let's see how good a driver you are. I sped up to maybe 60, when you should never do more than 45. Of course the asshat was still up my ass. While I made the turn, he did not, overcorrected, and went off the road left. Good times!!!

Awesome. You were 100% in the right.

I once did something similar to a tailgater when I jinked around a huge pothole at the last moment and he went straight into it with a satisfying smash.

When I learned to drive in the UK I was taught a couple of things which I still believe to be correct. 1. The driver behind has 100% control of the gap between two vehicles. 2. If you enter an intersection in a way that causes another driver to change their speed, you are in the wrong.

There is also no such thing as brake checking in the UK. See rule # 1. I am still amazed that so many folks think the brake checker is in the wrong though I've learned to adapt. Don't want to be brake checked? Don't drive up someone else's tailpipe.

Last edited:
This. The media basically prints the police narrative in cases like this. They're the source of info.
They use leading wording like "Republican masticates in public, police said" - adding the qualifier after planting the thought by ordering the phrases and using a supportive word "said" rather than "claimed" or "alleged".

But, if someone or group not favored says something it reads like "Republicans claim election was rigged" rather than "Election was rigged, Republicans say".

The election certainly was rigged - if not through vote tampering, through the media acting as campaign arms of the Democrats.

Awesome. You were 100% in the right.

I once did something similar to a tailgater when I jinked around a huge pothole at the last moment and he went straight into it with a satisfying smash.

When I learned to drive in the UK I was taught a couple of things which I still believe to be correct. 1. The driver behind has 100% control of the gap between two vehicles. 2. If you enter an intersection in a way that causes another driver to change their speed, you are in the wrong.

There is also no such thing as brake checking in the UK. See rule # 1. I am still amazed that so many folks think the brake checker is in the wrong though I've learned to adapt. Don't want to be brake checked? Don't drive up someone else's tailpipe.
Pretty much this. An animal, person or another car could come out in front of the car you are tailgating at any time. It's your duty to be able to stop in time regardless of the reason for the sudden stop. That said brake checking is not very nice and can escalate a situation pretty quickly.

Pretty much this. An animal, person or another car could come out in front of the car you are tailgating at any time. It's your duty to be able to stop in time regardless of the reason for the sudden stop. That said brake checking is not very nice and can escalate a situation pretty quickly.
I don’t drive in traffic or near Boston often, but I do love brake checking an a**h*** now and then!!

Any update on this? In a google search, it looks like it still hasn’t gone to trial and the guy has been in jail the entire time awaiting trial.

Back
Top Bottom