NH resident, have p&r, how do I legally transport firearms to MA ranges, without fltc

That's what I thought, but I also thought it was worth asking the question.

Thank you. The risk is low, but the cost is too high. I'll stick to shooting in CT this summer.

None of my business but it has me wondering if all of the nonresident (CT/VT/NH/RI/ME) shooters I see at USPSA/IDPA matches actually have MA NR LTC's. I suspect most of them take the risk but I could be wrong.

None of my business but it has me wondering if all of the nonresident (CT/VT/NH/RI/ME) shooters I see at USPSA/IDPA matches actually have MA NR LTC's. I suspect most of them take the risk but I could be wrong.
This is why I am waiting on my non-res. The wait stinks, but 3-5 months waiting is a lot less than the world of hurt I'd be risking.

I would venture a guess that most are ignorant of the law or someone told them that what they are doing is legal (including bringing full capacity mags in for competition).

I would venture a guess that most are ignorant of the law or someone told them that what they are doing is legal (including bringing full capacity mags in for competition).
Even when my non-res arrives I'll bring buying/bringing 10 rounders to MA if competing. I already have some from the time living there, and in USPSA production ten is the limit anyway, so nothing lost. Yes, buying some limited capacity mags kind of stinks for pistols designed for 15+ but I'd rather spend that $100-$150 or so versus going to court.

I bet a lot of people just figure they'd tell a LEO they were there for a competition and expect to be sent on their way, either out of a belief that it's OK or the presumption that a LEO wouldn't rake them over the coals for something "trivial." And/or that it's not something anyone will notice/care about.

Either that or they think it doesn't apply to them. I once had a MA resident (non-LEO) swear up and down that the 10 round mag capacity law only applied to what dealers could sell in state, and that it was legal and acceptable for him to buy postban high capacity mags in NH or elsewhere and bring them into MA.

Even when my non-res arrives I'll bring buying/bringing 10 rounders to MA if competing. I already have some from the time living there, and in USPSA production ten is the limit anyway, so nothing lost. Yes, buying some limited capacity mags kind of stinks for pistols designed for 15+ but I'd rather spend that $100-$150 or so versus going to court.

I bet a lot of people just figure they'd tell a LEO they were there for a competition and expect to be sent on their way, either out of a belief that it's OK or the presumption that a LEO wouldn't rake them over the coals for something "trivial." And/or that it's not something anyone will notice/care about.

Either that or they think it doesn't apply to them. I once had a MA resident (non-LEO) swear up and down that the 10 round mag capacity law only applied to what dealers could sell in state, and that it was legal and acceptable for him to buy postban high capacity mags in NH or elsewhere and bring them into MA.
I once had a Mass dealer brag to me that full capacity mags were legal and that it was merely the "old federal ban that had expired". I had a prominent firearms attorney (who was a mutual friend of both of us) have a chat with him. Didn't do any good! A few years ago he was convicted of a bunch of felonies for things that he sold and shouldn't have sold.

That would be any ammunition. A Mass. resident must have a valid FID to purchase rifle or shotgun ammunition. I as a N.H. resident can't acquire either in Mass., no FID or provision to get one. I can only imagine that handgun ammunition is more restrictive. About 30 years ago, I traveled to Reading to shoot in a rifle match so there are provisions to cross the border with firearms and ammunition. But were you to get stopped, totally innocent of violating laws, the potential of financial and emotional distress are still a possibility.

Having worked in Mass. for many years, I was always scared spitless there would be a stray round or two in the car. I will never voluntarily step foot in Mass. now that I'm retired.

I’ve been stopped by cops in several states, many times, and not one ever searched my trunk.

I once had a Mass dealer brag to me that full capacity mags were legal and that it was merely the "old federal ban that had expired". I had a prominent firearms attorney (who was a mutual friend of both of us) have a chat with him. Didn't do any good! A few years ago he was convicted of a bunch of felonies for things that he sold and shouldn't have sold.
Tite Group?....

Len, couple years before he got whacked, he eventually did change his tune on that- nothing would be transferred in if it even had a hint of having a "large capacity" mag with it.

Not that it really mattered in his case anyways because from what I remember when they whacked him it had
absolutely nothing to do with LCAFDs.... which kinda made sense because if you were a frequent flyer there, the only mags he ever really had floating around were always 10 rounds or less.

-Mike

I went into Tite-Group, once. He would not let my 12-year-old Trap-shooting son handle a shotgun, as that was "an illegal transfer."

We left.

There was actually a shotgun to be handled? lol. The store was size of a shoebox. Mike was rough around the edges but if you knew what you wanted... was a great asset.

I had a MA NR-LTC for 18yr. Or, I should say, about 15yr of those 18yr, as only a few times early on did my renewal come in before my current LTC expired. I was usually without a valid LTC 1-3mo each time. If I sent my application in “too early” they sent it back so it would be late again. I finally gave up.

I was once pulled over in Southie for running a stop sign that was 40ft from a Y-intersection that used to be a T but they rebuilt it and didn’t move the stop sign. There was a truck parked next to it so I never saw it. The BPD guy checked my license and registration, noted I had an LTC and told me it wasn’t good in Boston. I said sure - I never use it in Boston and he let me go with a hefty ticket but no further grief.

But don’t let my story discourage you from getting a MA NR LTC ;-)

Back
Top Bottom