NH resident, have p&r, how do I legally transport firearms to MA ranges, without fltc

jeez, just get the darned permit already. MA is NOT a gun friendly place, and it might get worse with pending legislation.

Also, remember that "high" capacity magazines are a big no-no without an LTC

jeez, just get the darned permit already. MA is NOT a gun friendly place, and it might get worse with pending legislation. Also, remember that "high" capacity magazines are a big no-no without an LTC

Post-ban large capacity magazines are a felony in MA even if you have an LTC.

Years ago I got my out of state license to carry as I was also an FFL holder and quite often brought wads of cash to pay distributors. SEVERAL Mass LGS wouldn't sell ammunition as they perceived it illegal. Mind you I held a N.H. LTC, A Mass. LTC, and FFLs for both sale of firearms and manufacture of ammunition. Now obviously these weren't LEO but the PERCEPTION that it was illegal, imprinted. You all can do whatever you want but for me? I'll stay out of Massachusetts.

Kevin, everything you're citing is undoubtedly correct if interpretation is set in stone. Most likely I'd never see jail time or fines even if I was clearly in the wrong as who in their right mind would sentence you over an errant round or box of 9MM. Or a post ban Glock magazine. Or an AR, locked in a box and loaded 30 round magazine locked separately. The devil's in the details. Do you want to risk it? Even were you to beat the charge in court are you prepared to spend the time and money to do so?
I wouldn't do any of those things, because those are illegal for me to do in MA.

The law is clear that bringing a low-capacity bolt-action rifle and related ammunition into MA "unloaded and enclosed within a case" without an LTC is legal for non-residents, so the risk of going to court over that is pretty much zero.

Sure, a police officer can make up his own rules and arrest you for anything, but under that scenario there's nothing you can't be arrested for, so all you can do is avoid the state entirely.

jeez, just get the darned permit already. MA is NOT a gun friendly place, and it might get worse with pending legislation.
I've considered getting a non-resident MA LTC, but that would mean doing two things I try to avoid as much as possible -- giving money to Massachusetts, and spending time there.

Years ago I got my out of state license to carry as I was also an FFL holder and quite often brought wads of cash to pay distributors. SEVERAL Mass LGS wouldn't sell ammunition as they perceived it illegal. Mind you I held a N.H. LTC, A Mass. LTC, and FFLs for both sale of firearms and manufacture of ammunition. Now obviously these weren't LEO but the PERCEPTION that it was illegal, imprinted. You all can do whatever you want but for me? I'll stay out of Massachusetts.
I thought [thread=293861]NR-LTC does not allow ammo purchase[/thread]? GOAL says "Purchase of ammunition: even with a MA Non-Resident LTC this is not allowed".

Last edited:
I thought [thread=293861]NR-LTC does not allow ammo purchase[/thread]? GOAL says "Purchase of ammunition: even with a MA Non-Resident LTC this is not allowed".

NR LTC can purchase ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in MA (meaning no ammo, no guns of any sort, no pre-ban large capacity mags) legally. What any dealer does/doesn't do is another matter altogether.

Look no further than the latest fiat from the powers that be. The knowledge of this, overnight, one spread quickly. What about the next declaration? Might you cross the border unknowing and become a felon?

I'm a GA resident with a GA weapons permit. I'm headed to CT in a couple weeks, and I've got a CT non-resident permit, (so FOPA lets me bring firearms/ammo with me).

While I'm up there, is there any way that I can legally transport firearms and ammo into Massachusetts to shoot IDPA/USPSA matches?

Are pre-ban high-cap magazines still illegal for non-residents even if they are attending a shooting match?
Legal ONLY if you possess a NR LTC. Without that LTC, you can't bring any handguns or large capacity long guns into MA either for ANY REASON. The "exception" in MGL C. 140 S. 131G is NON-EXISTENT as no state meets the requirements for that exception to be valid.

I'm a GA resident with a GA weapons permit. I'm headed to CT in a couple weeks, and I've got a CT non-resident permit, (so FOPA lets me bring firearms/ammo with me).

While I'm up there, is there any way that I can legally transport firearms and ammo into Massachusetts to shoot IDPA/USPSA matches?
Not legally. Done all the time however. If anyone gets caught it will be very painful and expensive and end in Federal PP status as a minimum.

Not legally. Done all the time however. If anyone gets caught it will be very painful and expensive and end in Federal PP status as a minimum.

That's what I thought, but I also thought it was worth asking the question.

Thank you. The risk is low, but the cost is too high. I'll stick to shooting in CT this summer.

Has anyone been prosecuted or convicted while claiming the Competition Exemption?
Not yet to my knowledge. We were all misinterpreting the meaning of the law as written vs. proper grammatical reading for many years. More recently the proper interpretation became known and last I took Glidden's seminar it was properly being told to the chiefs/LOs attending his seminars. So it is only a matter of time before someone gets stopped by a properly educated LEO and ends up in silver bracelets and a felony charge.

That's what I thought, but I also thought it was worth asking the question.

Thank you. The risk is low, but the cost is too high. I'll stick to shooting in CT this summer.

If you have friends in MA that will be at the same IDPA you want to attend, you can certainly borrow someone's gun to shoot for the match. There's no law saying you can't shoot a gun while in MA.

In fact send me a PM if you'll be on Cape Cod at all this summer! :D

You'll be issued a restricted to sport/ hunting most likely unless you give a really really really good reason for unrestricted. You will get it, but it'll take 5-6 months from mailing it in to getting it back in the mail. $100 every year and you have to go to Chelsea every year for an "interview" unfortunately.
I believe they changed the interview to once every 6 years for renewal. Still $100 a year. CHA-CHING!

Not yet to my knowledge. We were all misinterpreting the meaning of the law as written vs. proper grammatical reading for many years. More recently the proper interpretation became known and last I took Glidden's seminar it was properly being told to the chiefs/LOs attending his seminars. So it is only a matter of time before someone gets stopped by a properly educated LEO and ends up in silver bracelets and a felony charge.

Well, IMHO it all depends on how much of a prick the LEO is Len. I've never heard of someone being denied that as a defense, either. Then again most people that
compete in this state usually take care to not be noticed and not attract attention.

There's also the issue of whether or not a given DA cares about the "Guida Interpretation" or not. (I'm guessing this is what you're talking about).

-Mike

I was told by the Mass. State police several years ago, perhaps 15 or so years, that I could attend matches but had to only stay the day. If I tried to stay over I would be breaking the law. My fix was to not attend any more Mass matches. At the time there were NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette matches being held in Palmer monthly. I had a Mass. CC license when living there but after I moved it was too expensive to keep up.

If you have friends in MA that will be at the same IDPA you want to attend, you can certainly borrow someone's gun to shoot for the match. There's no law saying you can't shoot a gun while in MA.

Good point. I've done that for a friend in NH. You can also meet them at the border if convenient.

Good point. I've done that for a friend in NH. You can also meet them at the border if convenient.
When I have NRs who take my NRA Personal Protection classes, I explain the law and then offer them free use of my handguns for the class. If they choose to bring in their own guns in spite of the law, I don't care, the risk is on them.

I was told by the Mass. State police several years ago, perhaps 15 or so years, that I could attend matches but had to only stay the day. If I tried to stay over I would be breaking the law. My fix was to not attend any more Mass matches. At the time there were NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette matches being held in Palmer monthly. I had a Mass. CC license when living there but after I moved it was too expensive to keep up.
Cops will tell you a lot of things. Don’t assume that they know what they are talking about.

I currently have no plans to be on the Cape this summer, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you very much.

GOAL has lots of old/bad legal info on their website. They can contact the same "source people" that I do for any clarification they need. Years ago we all believed what you posted (131G) but it simply isn't true as the criteria to meet is NOT met by any state in the US. Certainly not NH.

I'm just not going to get into the details again here, you can search for it, I've posted it many times but I'm tired and just not interested in spending the time going thru it step-by-step.

Yes, people break the law every day in MA. And almost all are lucky and not caught by anyone that really understands the law. Woe be unto the person who does get bagged and I doubt that "GOAL's website said" will go very far in court, any more than a certain commercial range whose employees have told NRs that they have a "special exemption from MSP" for their customers to bring ARs in AW configuration and new large cap mags plus pistols into MA with no NR LTC (and in many cases I'll bet no home state license at all either).

Well f***, I point people to GOAL'S website all the time.

Well f***, I point people to GOAL'S website all the time.

A lot of their info is correct. But at the same time there is a lot of info missing, or slightly confusing. Then again it is MA law, and there aren't many people at all who fully understand it.

Back
Top Bottom