NH non resident permit?

Just lookign over the non res app, do you need to provide 3 references? and what do you all put down for the reason?

Thanks

Names and addresses of 3 references, no phone #'s and for reasons, "protection", "all proper purposes", or both. I put down both reasons....had my license in less than two weeks......

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin"
SAMUEL ADAMS

I sent mine in 2/12/2014 and received my NH non resident permit today. Any idea why it's set to expire 5/31/2018 instead of Feb 2019?

Re: Restrictions on Non-Resident Licenses to Carry

Did the recent snafu about MA restrictions get cleared up? I'd to get a denial based on that.
PGNH says it's all fixed, see the end of [thread=232662]the relevant thread[/thread], dated 12/31/2013.

PGNH:NH Department of Safety said:
Some time ago, you corresponded with me regarding a new practice in the Department of Safety of restricting non-resident licenses to carry to mirror any restrictions placed on the person's resident license to carry in their home state. The most frequent restriction would be the one common to Massachusetts residents, "target shooting only." Out of an abundance of caution, our License and Permits Unit had been either refusing to issue a non-resident license and refunding the fee, or placing the same restriction on the NH license.
[angry] Now that is really messed up -- New Hampshire was issuing restricted P&R licenses to non-residents, even though restrictions are meaningless in NH?

PGNH:NH Department of Safety said:
We have now determined that as long as we use the normal due diligence that a local police department would use in licensing a resident, i.e., record checks, etc., since in NH a license can be issued for "any proper purpose", we will accept applications from non-residents whose home state licenses contain some restriction such as "target shooting only" or "personal protection only" and will issue them the usual and customary non-resident license without including a special restriction. This becomes effective immediately.

Very truly yours,

Earl M. Sweeney
Assistant Commissioner
NH Department of Safety
The above letter is dated December 17, 2013.

Last edited:
Ok. So just to clarify.
Me as a MA resident can open carry loaded in NH without a license or a permit?

I would need a concealed license from NH to conceal carry loaded?

I dontbget the being in the car law.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Ma LTC
GOAL Member

Ok. So just to clarify.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Ma LTC
GOAL Member

In the car is considered concealed (in the majority of locations).

Correct.

Also correct.

Absent a NH P&R license, carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle is prohibited (RSA 159:4).

In the car is considered concealed (in the majority of locations).

No, it's not "considered concealed", but rather specifically prohibited by statute.

So drive to NH border. Put firearm in trunk Unloaded get to destination then OC?

I must say. I have been to NH many many times and I can honestly say I have never ever saw anyone OC. Is it legal but frowned upon? In Texas is very obvious when ppl OC.

Ma LTC
GOAL Member

So drive to NH border. Put firearm in trunk Unloaded get to destination then OC?
No NH P&RL:

In vehicle - Just completely unload (mag out, too). Unloaded, it can be in the car's passenger compartment, even on your hip, concealed or otherwise.

Outside vehicle - You can open carry it outside the vehicle loaded or unloaded. Concealed, it will have to be unloaded.

Wow, just took a look at the non-res form and it seems straight forward and simple. If I leave the optional information blank (SSN, Race, phone #), does that affect the time it takes to get the permit approved? And for reason it actually hints that you should put down "All proper Purposes".

I have lived in Mass for to long so I have to ask, are there any tricks that I am not seeing?

Wow, just took a look at the non-res form and it seems straight forward and simple. If I leave the optional information blank (SSN, Race, phone #), does that affect the time it takes to get the permit approved? And for reason it actually hints that you should put down "All proper Purposes".

I have lived in Mass for to long so I have to ask, are there any tricks that I am not seeing?

I received mine in less than two weeks. I did leave some of the optional responses blank and I wrote "All proper Purposes" as my reason.

Yeah, i sent mine off last week. There wasn't anything that I felt overly concerned about. Made it look neat by filling in the fields on the PDF and printing it.

IT'S A TRAP!
ackbar.jpg

(no actually it's not a trap, it really is that straightforward...)

I think I will write in "target shooting" at renewal time, just for the heck of it.

And for reason it actually hints that you should put down "All proper Purposes".
They might as well just print the form with "All Proper Purposes" already filled out, since the reason field is essentially meaningless, an artifact of the wording of the RSA.

You can put down anything you want if you're willing to gamble on becoming an unsympathetic suitability test case.

You can put down anything you want if you're willing to gamble on becoming an unsympathetic suitability test case.

I want to see if someone puts in "Zombies" if they will get approved. [laugh] ATF used to allow that as a reason for SBR and SBS applications but supposedly now they reject it or something.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom