NH non resident permit?

Here's a fun question... is there anything in the RSAs which would prohibit someone from running on a nonres license as a resident? (or vice versa) Obviously you couldn't renew it but let's say someone had simply not applied for the town license yet... are they "running illegal" or not? My guess would be no because there's nothing that seems to prohibit this, the law only seems to delineate that residents apply in one place and nonresidents apply to the state, but there isn't any language that declares a previously issued license invalid if their residency status changes.

-Mike

Here's a fun question... is there anything in the RSAs which would prohibit someone from running on a nonres license as a resident? (or vice versa) Obviously you couldn't renew it but let's say someone had simply not applied for the town license yet... are they "running illegal" or not? My guess would be no because there's nothing that seems to prohibit this, the law only seems to delineate that residents apply in one place and nonresidents apply to the state, but there isn't any language that declares a previously issued license invalid if their residency status changes.

-Mike

According to the administrative procedures linked on the Permits and Licensing Unit website, moving into the state is a condition for revocation. Sucks they used the word "revocation" too, as that can trigger issues when applying for other permits in the future.
Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/Saf-C2100.pdf
Saf-C 2104.2 said:
Saf-C 2104.2 Conditions for Revocation. A license to carry pistols or revolvers shall be revoked if:
d) The licensee becomes a resident of New Hampshire; ...

According to the administrative procedures linked on the Permits and Licensing Unit website, moving into the state is a condition for revocation. Sucks they used the word "revocation" too, as that can trigger issues when applying for other permits in the future.
Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/Saf-C2100.pdf

Yikes, that can cause problems as it is reportable on every LTC/permit application forever!

I just sent an Email to my good friend in NH who is the legislative person for PGNH to see if he can take steps to correct this. I asked if this can be changed to "cancel" or "expire" so that is NOT a reportable event for permit/license applications everywhere!

Just heard back from PGNH. They were unaware of that problem and are now working on getting it fixed. It will take some time, but will likely be fixed.

Too bad I can't Rep Fizz226 more than once for a post, but you did us all a great service in finding that problem. I hope to be affected by it much sooner than later, so I have a vested interest in getting this fixed before I land in NH!

Yes, great post by Fitz226. I mean I doubt this is a problem in reality, but this is a question a lot of people who are planning on emigrating to NH have wondered about but never bothered to dig deeply enough.

-Mike

Yes, great post by Fitz226. I mean I doubt this is a problem in reality, but this is a question a lot of people who are planning on emigrating to NH have wondered about but never bothered to dig deeply enough.

-Mike

Sending that exact question to NH SP was on my "to do" list too.

Just heard back from PGNH. They were unaware of that problem and are now working on getting it fixed. It will take some time, but will likely be fixed.

Too bad I can't Rep Fizz226 more than once for a post, but you did us all a great service in finding that problem. I hope to be affected by it much sooner than later, so I have a vested interest in getting this fixed before I land in NH!
Thanks LenS. I hope it gets fixed soon too, I've got a vested interest as well. [smile] I was wondering the same question as Mike which is why I looked it originally.

It'd be nice if they let you run on the non-resident too. Maybe at least for 30 days or so to get situated and apply for the resident permit.

Being from Mass, do we need a permit to transport a firearm to a range in New Hampshire? or is the non-resident permit only for CC?

Being from Mass, do we need a permit to transport a firearm to a range in New Hampshire? or is the non-resident permit only for CC?

Unlike Massachusetts, NH believes in the 2nd amendment. You're fine bringing a gun into the state without any licenses. You just can't carry concealed without a NR permit. I also think you can't carry openly in your car without one there, but I might be getting NH mixed up with Maine on that one.

Both NH and ME consider "in the car" as concealing the gun, therefore a license is needed to carry in a car (or conceal carry anywhere in public). Otherwise OC is legal in both states with no licenses required.

Both NH and ME consider "in the car" as concealing the gun, therefore a license is needed to carry in a car (or conceal carry anywhere in public). Otherwise OC is legal in both states with no licenses required.

For NH, the firearm has to be in a "loaded" state. Otherwise, vehicle carry is fine without a P&R license. Not sure about ME.

In fact, you can conceal carry in NH without a license, but again, the firearm cannot be loaded.

Mailed: 1/9/14
Check Cashed: 1/13/14-1/14/14 (i forget which)
License issued: 1/14/14 (says on front of license)
Received: 1/25/14

cancel it in writing a few weeks before moving and just OC for a while

So question, I called and emailed. Would I be f@*ked if a LEO pulled me over with the typo?

I sent an email and had my replacement in 2 days. Can't comment on whether it would be an issue. The woman did say not to destroy the current non res permit until the new one was received.

Back
Top Bottom