• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Non Res CCW permit

Hey so i just picked up my application, they want 3 references. Do they actually contact these people? I was thinking about putting my uncle who's a Sgt in the police in Mass, Can family members be used as a Reference? some applications its a no go on that? What about Co-workers would that be a better path?

Unless it specifies who NOT to put as a reference I usually mix family and friends who will give me a good reference in case they do call. As silly as that sounds one of my references screwed me out of job trying to hard to be a good reference. So far out of 1 resident and 4 non-res permit (NH being one of them) applications none of my references have been called but that may depend on what they find during a background check.

I've never heard directly of anybody having their references contacted in any state, though there was a post a couple of years ago about somebody in NH who supposedly had his phoned. Don't sweat it, but don't list anybody who's out to get you.

Ken

My friend just received his NH CCW permit and he listed me as a reference. They did not contact me.

my NH non res references weren't called. neither were my Mass. now that we post about this some lurker will read it, report back to the authorities and ALL references will be checked!

If you can hold off, there's a good chance that you won't need any permit in NH. The bill is moving through now and you can save some semoleans.

My references got their letters AFTER I RECEIVED IT. I dont believe it asks if they are relatives. I am sure you can use a relative if you want.
Not receiving back the reference is not a reason for disqualification.

I had always wondered about the references part of the MA and NH permits. Never felt comfortable listing friends/relatives on that. While I doubted they would contact them, I always figured it was so they had a 2nd and 3rd place to look for you when they came to take your guns........

Any insight?

I had always wondered about the references part of the MA and NH permits. Never felt comfortable listing friends/relatives on that. While I doubted they would contact them, I always figured it was so they had a 2nd and 3rd place to look for you when they came to take your guns........

Any insight?

That is a very interesting thought/possibility that I never considered. That may be why they sometimes request non-family references, figuring that would be an obvious first place to check. With people outside of the family, it may make it easier to obtain a search warrant for the firearms if you have them listed as a reference for your firearms license. This is all speculation on my part, though, as I'm not that familiar with the whole legal end of obtaining search warrants...

That is a very interesting thought/possibility that I never considered. That may be why they sometimes request non-family references, figuring that would be an obvious first place to check. With people outside of the family, it may make it easier to obtain a search warrant for the firearms if you have them listed as a reference for your firearms license. This is all speculation on my part, though, as I'm not that familiar with the whole legal end of obtaining search warrants...

WOW! The tinfoil hats are a bit tight around here. [thinking] [rolleyes]

WOW! The tinfoil hats are a bit tight around here. [thinking] [rolleyes]

No tinfoil here, but you must admit that having actual names that you feel would be firearms friendly enough to have on your app, could be friendly enough to stash some things for you if the need ever was to arise - no?[wink] And, as I said in my previous post... "That is a very interesting thought/possibility that I never considered".

Tinfoil!!

Ha... I'm not so sure I'd go as far as to say tinfoil. What's the purpose of having that information then?

If I was a 2a hating liberal CLEO and I needed to get guns from people (either a specific person or a mass turn in [there is a little bit of tinfoil for ya]) and I couldn't find them why not go searching at their references listed on their LTC app?

It's common practice now to go looking for people at relatives houses, girlfriends/bf, friends etc..

Just saying.

Ha... I'm not so sure I'd go as far as to say tinfoil. What's the purpose of having that information then?

If I was a 2a hating liberal CLEO and I needed to get guns from people (either a specific person or a mass turn in [there is a little bit of tinfoil for ya]) and I couldn't find them why not go searching at their references listed on their LTC app?

It's common practice now to go looking for people at relatives houses, girlfriends/bf, friends etc..

Just saying.

Two words, "Probable Cause". Looking for people is far different than looking for items, although you need a warrant to look for either of them.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

As LenS says, Tinfoil. This website might help. AFDB. Under no circumstances should you use wax paper or Saran Wrap.

Two words, "Probable Cause". Looking for people is far different than looking for items, although you need a warrant to look for either of them.

Yes, in a perfect world.... PC is often interpreted differently.

What happens if things change in the future? Let's assume someone assumes there is PC... whats the reason for having this information then?

I'm not trying to go tinfoil on anyone.. [laugh] I'm just saying, why do they req/need this info? And what do they do with it?

Yes, in a perfect world.... PC is often interpreted differently.

What happens if things change in the future? Let's assume someone assumes there is PC... whats the reason for having this information then?

I'm not trying to go tinfoil on anyone.. [laugh] I'm just saying, why do they req/need this info? And what do they do with it?

Well, it's under the guise of checking with other people who are not related to you in the expectation of being a source of unbiased opinion on your suitability to possess firearms, but I can also see your point in how this could be used for "other" purposes. I'm not tinfoil, or paranoid of this happening, however, I don't trust that the government won't use every resource at their disposal to meet their ends if it comes down to it.

I have a news flash for the tinfoil crowd:

When I handed in my LTC renewal app, I listed my references (one attorney and one NRA Instructor).

When I went to the PD for my picture/print/interview, the MIRCS copy of my LTC renewal app did NOT include any references on it. I did not question it or worry about it.

I really don't think that 99% of PDs/state police (in NH NR cases) care about your references at all. I've been a reference for a few other people over the years and never been asked about them. I've been a reference for a number of people applying for gun club membership and never been asked about them either. It seems to be a crutch that bureaucrats add with no real value.

.... I don't trust that the government won't use every resource at their disposal to meet their ends if it comes down to it.

This is what I am getting at.

I just want to clarify again that I'm not tinfoiling... lol Giving the way things are, this isn't a super far fetched idea. Only looking to garner discussion.

Thanks LenS, that's the kind of info I was hoping to bring out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom