• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH man's lawsuit claims SIG Sauer pistol fired without trigger pull

My Nightingale holster is nearly eight years old of probably 200 days/year use. It's still holding its shape like new. Those cheap leather holsters that don't use Hermann oak-tanned leather can fold up like in the pic, but I doubt it will ever happen to my American-made holster.

Could the slide coming back break one of those cheap SIG holsters?

My Nightingale holster is nearly eight years old of probably 200 days/year use. It's still holding its shape like new. Those cheap leather holsters that don't use Hermann oak-tanned leather can fold up like in the pic, but I doubt it will ever happen to my American-made holster.

Could the slide coming back break one of those cheap SIG holsters?

+1. I follow Hermann Oak Leather or the # on instagram. Some of the best and brightest use their hides.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBGTjCyg5Lt/

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYomk7joci/

Last edited:
S&w 642 appendix carry, not a worry in the world. And if you can’t put it down with five, stop edc and get yourself a bodyguard

If a shirt/piece of clothing got in the holster, I can see it "going off" when removing the holster. It could definitely get in the trigger guard and pull the trigger as you removed the holster. Other than that, I seriously doubt that a modern quality gun would just "go off" without some kind of intervention on the trigger.

Always a good reminder...

What likely happened was a ‘bunching’ of the t-shirt that got into the trigger guard of the pistol,

I see guys carrying 1911’s with the hammer back and cringe. Maybe it’s totally safe, but I just can’t do it.
In "Gran Torino", he was carrying in Condition Two:
giphy.gif

So this guys 320 was pre recall? Idiotic to carry something with known issues. Personally the 320 is one of my favorites ever.

Same here. I see guys carrying 1911’s with the hammer back and cringe. Maybe it’s totally safe, but I just can’t do it.
Lol, it’s safer than most DAO pistols if you understand how the gun operates.
So this guys 320 was pre recall? Idiotic to carry something with known issues. Personally the 320 is one of my favorites ever.
Yes, but if you read the lawsuit some of the incidents named happened with post recall guns...

Same here. I see guys carrying 1911’s with the hammer back and cringe. Maybe it’s totally safe, but I just can’t do it.
You should spend some time with a 1911, and get comfortable with it.

"Hey! Did you know your gun is cocked?"
"Yep."
"Isn't that unsafe?"
"Well, now... to lower the hammer, I would have to take the safety off and pull the trigger. Does that sound like a safe thing to do?"
" . . . "

"Well, now... to lower the hammer, I would have to take the safety off and pull the trigger. Does that sound like a safe thing to do?"
^ THIS.

(Even though I'm still pumped from using the mouse),
some operating operators here with adequate grip strength
may be able to do it safely every time. But for me...
490et1.jpg

Lol, it’s safer than most DAO pistols if you understand how the gun operates.

Yes, but if you read the lawsuit some of the incidents named happened with post recall guns...
I’m picking mine up thursday lol. Thoughts? What was cited in the lawsuits causing the discharge?

I’m picking mine up thursday lol. Thoughts? What was cited in the lawsuits causing the discharge?

There's a link to the PDF of the lawsuit somewhere in the first few posts in this thread, if you dig into it you can read it for yourself. There is a claim in the lawsuit somewhere about "improper
sear engagement".

Not saying there is even any merit to it, at all, however, while I don't find this case particularly disturbing (something stinks about it, I don't really trust the plaintiff as a witness, because of a lot of general weirdness here, as well as the "exploding holster" thing ) the other NDs referenced within the case make me go "hmm". I realize there are a lot of shitty cops WRT gun handling, but this nostrum of guns firing in the holster is not the typical excuse, and supposedly one of them is even on bodycam- dude gets out of his police cruiser, gun just fires itself. Of course in some cases its confusing WRT pre vs post recall. Also, I just think it strains credulity to think that all of these cops that had guns fire in the holster can all be liars.

I dumped my two P320s recently, not out of concerns of NDs, though. While they were capable guns I realized they were just taking up space in my safe, and the benefits weren't good enough to justify using them over my Glocks or other guns I own.

I will say this much, though... Sigs handling of the recall did not impress me at all. At the beginning, they refused to allow dealers to send in guns for service, all recall service had to be done through a call tag etc. I don't like having guns shipped to my house, its a huge pain in the ass. I'd rather have repaired guns go through my dealer so I can just pick them up whenever they are
open. Eventually, like this year, the "direction of the wind changed" and I called sig and the dude was like "oh yeah your dealer can just send them in now, no problem" so apparently, at some point it all changed. I would bet anything at the beginning, they didn't want dealers sending in guns because the dealers would just flood them with a ton of broken guns at once, wanting to swap into post-recall guns instead of pre-recall guns that they had on the shelf.

There's a link to the PDF of the lawsuit somewhere in the first few posts in this thread, if you dig into it you can read it for yourself. There is a claim in the lawsuit somewhere about "improper
sear engagement".

Not saying there is even any merit to it, at all, however, while I don't find this case particularly disturbing (something stinks about it, I don't really trust the plaintiff as a witness, because of a lot of general weirdness here, as well as the "exploding holster" thing ) the other NDs referenced within the case make me go "hmm". I realize there are a lot of shitty cops WRT gun handling, but this nostrum of guns firing in the holster is not the typical excuse, and supposedly one of them is even on bodycam- dude gets out of his police cruiser, gun just fires itself. Of course in some cases its confusing WRT pre vs post recall. Also, I just think it strains credulity to think that all of these cops that had guns fire in the holster can all be liars.

I dumped my two P320s recently, not out of concerns of NDs, though. While they were capable guns I realized they were just taking up space in my safe, and the benefits weren't good enough to justify using them over my Glocks or other guns I own.

I will say this much, though... Sigs handling of the recall did not impress me at all. At the beginning, they refused to allow dealers to send in guns for service, all recall service had to be done through a call tag etc. I don't like having guns shipped to my house, its a huge pain in the ass. I'd rather have repaired guns go through my dealer so I can just pick them up whenever they are
open. Eventually, like this year, the "direction of the wind changed" and I called sig and the dude was like "oh yeah your dealer can just send them in now, no problem" so apparently, at some point it all changed. I would bet anything at the beginning, they didn't want dealers sending in guns because the dealers would just flood them with a ton of broken guns at once, wanting to swap into post-recall guns instead of pre-recall guns that they had on the shelf.
Interesting! Appreciate the clarification. The good news is this will sole be a range/home defense firearm for me, as I own the 365... and maybe, just maybe, because I’m getting one brand new off the production line they would have located and fixed whatever was causing this issue. Regardless, I’ll be mindful.

Back
Top Bottom