NH HB687 Red Flag Gun Confiscation bill vote scheduled for 1/8 or 1/9/2020"

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
An accurate characterization of Bloomberg and co

CONCORD — The New Hampshire House of Representatives passed a "red flag" bill Wednesday that critics say is "gun grab" and that advocates claim can save lives.
The House voted 201-176 to send the measure on to the Democratically-led state Senate, which is expected to embrace it. The office of Gov. Chris Sununu didn't respond to a request for comment.
Before yesterday vote, the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee had deadlocked, 10-10, over what to do with the bill to create the new class of so-called extreme risk protection orders.

During the debate, Rep. David Meuse, D-Portsmouth, said the state averages 123 deaths by gun a year, with 90 percent of those being suicides.
"Unfortunately no state legislature has the power to unring the bell of gun violence or gun suicide, but what we can do is take sensitive steps to prevent that bill from being rung again, again and again in the future," Meuse said.
Rep. Debra Altschiller, D-Stratham, read a letter from Margaret Tilton of Exeter, who lobbied for more gun control after her son, George, 23, killed himself with a gun the day after Thanksgiving in 2017.
“'We have a largely silent epidemic of depression and hopelessness among our young people in this state. Please have the courage to vote yes for this legislation,'" said Altschiller, reciting Tilton's words.
Rep. Kimberly Rice, R-Hudson, said the measure (HB 687) would take guns away from someone based only on an accusation and the temporary seizure could occur based a judge's order by telephone without giving the accused the right to even testify before infringement of their rights.
"This will turn due process right upside down and have people found guilty and then they have to prove their innocence. Please oppose this unconstitutional, gun-grabbing bill," Rice said.
Rep. John Burt, R-Goffstown, said the measure doesn't deliver mental health services to the person before the guns are taken away nore does it address the seizure of other potentially harmful items, such as knives or drugs, he said.
"This is not going to help anybody; it is strictly for gun confiscation," Burt said.
A leading supporter of taking guns away from people believed to be in distress as soon as possible is Rep. Robert Renny Cushing, D-Hampton, who expects Sununu will veto the measure if it gets that far.
Sununu vetoed four other gun control bills last year and Republicans in the House and Senate were enough to sustain them.
"I'm pleased by the vote," Cushing said, "but we're going to have to vote on it again and next time we're going to need about 267 votes (to override a veto) to win."
There are 17 states and the District of Columbia with laws that allow a family member or police to petition a judge to order the temporary seizure of guns from someone they consider a danger to themselves or others.
Rep. Nancy Murphy, D-Merrimack, said a subcommittee she ran spent the summer and fall fine-tuning the bill to make clear it can only apply in "extreme instances of crisis." That panel also made it a misdemeanor for someone to knowingly make false accusation.
"This bill is at its core a public safety measure," Murphy said.
Among the groups supporting the gun control bill were the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, New Hampshire Medical Society and the Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence.

On hand Wednesday were volunteers for Moms Demand Action Against Gun Violence held signs, a group financed by billionaire businessman and Democratic presidential primary candidate Michael Bloomberg.
J.R. Hoell, secretary of the New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, referred to Bloomberg's behind-the-scenes role.
“It appears that Bloomberg's puppets are busy at work in New Hampshire," he said in a statement. "Instead of fixing the issues that we have in New Hampshire, the House spent over 70 minutes discussing how to strip citizens of their property, more time than was spent on all of the other bills left over from 2019.”

Rep. Daryl Abbas, R-Salem, said the bill would permanently take guns away from an accused because the state has no procedure to remove a person from the national crime database once added.
"All this order does is simply disarm this person," Abbas summed up. "It doesn’t do anything to address the reasons why this person wants to harm himself or others.”
The debate was one of the longest and most emotional so far in the 2020 legislative session, which has officially opened with both chambers slogging through 230 bills left over from 2019.
The Senate finished the work on its 76 pending measures in about three hours. The House has scheduled sessions Thursday and on Jan. 16 if needed to complete its slate.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

A way to force them to “Honor your oath”? A Remonstrance on HB 687-FN (Extreme Protection Orders)
by Skip / 8 January 2020
This is Awesome!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If this bill is signed by the governor, right now our last line of defense, NH, my home state for 63 years, will most likely be in my rearview mirror.
And where would you go? The whole country is under attack. AZ and TX from California transplants (as well as homegrown in Austin); Colorado, NM, Utah, Nevada and Montana even.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
And where would you go? The whole country is under attack. AZ and TX from California transplants (as well as homegrown in Austin); Colorado, NM, Utah, Nevada and Montana even.
Exactly. NH is about as good as it gets right now, if you care about the 2A, there is no where for you to go and mick your feet up.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the vote breakdown. All Republicans (and the one Libertarian) voted against, along with 22 Democrats.

Contact your senator, because that's the next step, but also let the governor know that you expect a veto. The senate often pays attention to the governor's intent.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Exactly. NH is about as good as it gets right now, if you care about the 2A, there is no where for you to go and mick your feet up.
There in lies the rub. One of the main reasons I stay in NH is because of the 2A stance of the state government. If NH falls to the same level as Mass, Vt, CT, etc. then there's nothing holding me here. Liberties lost are almost never regained.

My hope if this happens is that there will be better (and warmer) states that will still be holding the line.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the vote breakdown. All Republicans (and the one Libertarian) voted against, along with 22 Democrats.

Contact your senator, because that's the next step, but also let the governor know that you expect a veto. The senate often pays attention to the governor's intent.
You can bet I will.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
JPK, Did you see this in this weeks calendar? I wonder what happens next.

NOTICE
A remonstrance has been filed with the New Hampshire House regarding House Bill 687. It is available for inspection in the Office of the Clerk of the House.
Paul C. Smith, Clerk of the House

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
There in lies the rub. One of the main reasons I stay in NH is because of the 2A stance of the state government. If NH falls to the same level as Mass, Vt, CT, etc. then there's nothing holding me here. Liberties lost are almost never regained.

My hope if this happens is that there will be better (and warmer) states that will still be holding the line.
I know it's easy to doom and gloom but we did gain liberty with the best Con Carry law in the country passed just 3 short years ago, so I'm not so sure about that.

NOTICE
A remonstrance has been filed with the New Hampshire House regarding House Bill 687. It is available for inspection in the Office of the Clerk of the House.
What does this mean?

JenkkiMike

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it's easy to doom and gloom but we did gain liberty with the best Con Carry law in the country passed just 3 short years ago, so I'm not so sure about that.

What does this mean?
If it is anything like the Grand Remonstrance, it will be ignored and ultimately lead to the English Civil War.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

NOTICE
An online copy is here: A way to force them to "Honor your oath"? A Remonstrance on HB 687-FN (Extreme Protection Orders) - Granite Grok

Still not clear exactly what this means for my northern neighbors. It seems to be a formal protest, but cannot tell what, if any, force of law it might have.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are 4 anti-gun hearings in less than 2 weeks:

Plan on attending one or more of these hearings if possible:

1/21: HB1660, 1pm, Elder Care Gun Confiscation.
1/22: HB1101, 1pm, Buy a Gun, Go Home Without it.
HB1379, 2:30pm, The Gun Registry Creation Act
1/23: SB469, 10am, The 2020 Sen. Jeanne Dietsch Range Closure Act.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NOTICE
Nothing.

C-5

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total bad news for every gun owner. Pretty soon we’re all going to be legal criminals. f*** it why be legal about it anymore ? Don’t see anybody with power helping us out !! Literally takes an act of Congress for the Supreme Court to hear and help the little legal people. I feel like the constitution is totaly ignored now. You never hear of anybody being punished for treading on our LEGAL rights !! Tired of being shit on.
Agreed

M125X

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Amazing how blue NH is turning. Sad.

M125X

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are 4 anti-gun hearings in less than 2 weeks:

Plan on attending one or more of these hearings if possible:

1/21: HB1660, 1pm, Elder Care Gun Confiscation.
1/22: HB1101, 1pm, Buy a Gun, Go Home Without it.
HB1379, 2:30pm, The Gun Registry Creation Act
1/23: SB469, 10am, The 2020 Sen. Jeanne Dietsch Range Closure Act.
Wtf getting ridiculous

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how blue NH is turning. Sad.
NH has been purple for a long time.

Where do you live? How are you helping us keep it free?

Wtf getting ridiculous
These bills are just the same that we had in 2019, and have been offered up every year for a long time. That doesn't make them any less dangerous, so if you're a NH resident, please show up, sign up, speak, and write to your reps and senator and the governor.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
NH has been purple for a long time.

Where do you live? How are you helping us keep it free?

These bills are just the same that we had in 2019, and have been offered up every year for a long time. That doesn't make them any less dangerous, so if you're a NH resident, please show up, sign up, speak, and write to your reps and senator and the governor.
This is why I stopped responding to these posts. These bills get brought every year, every time they do someone comes along and get all OMG NH IS MA NORTH!, as if its something new or unexpected.

Dont worry dude, those of us that show every year to fight these bills will continue to and carry the weight of the internet outrage.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I stopped responding to these posts. These bills get brought every year, every time they do someone comes along and get all OMG NH IS MA NORTH!, as if its something new or unexpected.

Dont worry dude, those of us that show every year to fight these bills will continue to and carry the weight of the internet outrage.
ma**h***s gonna ma**h***

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is why I stopped responding to these posts. These bills get brought every year, every time they do someone comes along and get all OMG NH IS MA NORTH!, as if its something new or unexpected. Dont worry dude, those of us that show every year to fight these bills will continue to and carry the weight of the internet outrage.
The bills just keep getting more extreme, and the big difference in 2019/2020 is that with the GOP letting dems just have 25 seats without a challenger (coincidentally the exact margin by which HB687 passed), the only thing keeping these bills becoming law is the governor's veto. And we're not guaranteed to even have that next year...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I wrote my State Rep in Sullivan county and it took her 2 weeks to reply! Here is what she wrote back:

"I support this bill as being in the best "interests of my constituents’ safety and security."

Isn't that what excuse FDR and Dems said during WWII about internment of Japanese Americans?

Last edited:

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Well I wrote my State Rep in Sullivan county and it took her 2 weeks to reply! Here is what she wrote back:

"I support this bill as being in the best "interests of my constituents’ safety and security."

Isn't that what excuse FDR and Dems said during WWII about internment of Japanese Americans?
Remind her of this and how her constituents lives will be endangered by police response.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0

I'd write her back and point out that they've just stolen something (that's what taking somebody's property without due process is. Theft) They've stolen something from someone they claim is dangerous but they've left them out in society with access to automobiles, matches, gasoline, chemicals/poisons etc. which endangers the public even more since now if they're truly dangerous your theft could set them off.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The bills just keep getting more extreme, and the big difference in 2019/2020 is that with the GOP letting dems just have 25 seats without a challenger (coincidentally the exact margin by which HB687 passed), the only thing keeping these bills becoming law is the governor's veto. And we're not guaranteed to even have that next year...
So is it still Ma**h***s gonna Ma**h*** ? Or should some people pull their heads out of the sand ? I’m a dues paying member of a NH gun rights org and I don’t even live in NH. Just want to help fight.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'd write her back and point out that they've just stolen something (that's what taking somebody's property without due process is. Theft) They've stolen something from someone they claim is dangerous but they've left them out in society with access to automobiles, matches, gasoline, chemicals/poisons etc. which endangers the public even more since now if they're truly dangerous your theft could set them off.
That is exactly it but you missed one detail. It’s not the guns they want off the streets it’s the mentally deranged. And owning them makes you just that.

Sometimes they even come out and say it:

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
That is exactly it but you missed one detail. It’s not the guns they want off the streets it’s the mentally deranged. And owning them makes you just that.

Sometimes they even come out and say it:

Then they should be taking the person instead of the guns but yes as gun owners they consider us that but I'd say they want us more than off the streets. They want us dead and they're looking for any excuse and they're trying to get us to start it.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Then they should be taking the person instead of the guns but yes as gun owners they consider us that but I'd say they want us more than off the streets. They want us dead and they're looking for any excuse and they're trying to get us to start it.
This is the classic attack on the tool vs the tool user......

You can take away the tool but the tool user will just move on to next best tool to accomplish their intended goal/ends.........that what tool users do......

Top Bottom