NH handgun license - where do you keep it?

The old FID's were thin cardboard or thick paper or however you want to describe them. I don't think you were supposed to laminate those either. My first one disintegrated. So I applied again..I told the guy he was like...laminate it. So I did and i kept that one all the way until I got my LTC. Probably still have it somewhere. They used to be cool in Boston. NH is a different story and mine has nothing to do with this but I felt like reminiscing...lol.

Waiting for my NH NR to arrive. Glad to hear its credit card sized. Do NRs need to have it on them?
No reason not to carry your non-resident P&R, it's small, durable and waterproof (features missing in the resident 'onionskin' licenses).

Agree, and that's what I do. OP stated the license "...cannot be laminated..." and I was speculating on what he meant.
Yup, was what I meant. I used box sealing tape over mine. Poor mans lamination and I can fold it up and keep in my wallet. Keeps it from destroying further. Wanted to know If I missed some statute which stated "cannot be altered" or something like that.

I shrank mine to small license size and hard laminated, made 5 copies. One in wallet, one in truck, one in car, one in minivan, 2 extras in safe with original.

No reason not to carry your non-resident P&R, it's small, durable and waterproof (features missing in the resident 'onionskin' licenses).

Actually - just trying to reduce as much bulk as possible. Doing a lot of hiking in the White Mountains and was hoping to eliminate my wallet to reduce weight. It adds up trekking 10 miles a day! But in the end, it was more important to have it with me than not. As well as insurance card, FSA, license, ma LTC etc. I was just curious if it was an option.

I even open carried for a little while at our base camp at AMC Cardigan. Great experience. Good hiking too. Heading back up for Mt. Lafayette, Lincoln and Little Haystack in a few weeks and bringing fellow gun owners with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a copy of it, folded it up and put it in my wallet and threw the original in the safe. It has all the info any LEO would need on the copy and if they have any questions, they can call my local PD.

For hiking, I carry it, my driver's license, a credit card, insurance card and a bit of cash in a small zippered coin bag buried in a small compartment in my pack. About as light as you can get. Oh...and now my fishing/hunting license is in there as that's my "get rescued free" card.

Last edited:
Just got my resident NH permit and was surprised to see it was that flimsy piece of paper, when my non-resident one was a nice plastic card. I'm going to take the advice on here and copy and laminate it for carrying on my person just to be safe. But I am wondering: why does the state issue those decent plastic ones for NR, but for residents it is a whole different style? Especially for carrying for reciprocity it would be nice if they just did the plastic cards for NR and R...

Just got my resident NH permit and was surprised to see it was that flimsy piece of paper, when my non-resident one was a nice plastic card. I'm going to take the advice on here and copy and laminate it for carrying on my person just to be safe. But I am wondering: why does the state issue those decent plastic ones for NR, but for residents it is a whole different style? Especially for carrying for reciprocity it would be nice if they just did the plastic cards for NR and R...

the NR is different because you're required to carry it. the resident permits don't need to be on your person at all times. the paper is also significantly cheaper.

the NR is different because you're required to carry it. the resident permits don't need to be on your person at all times. the paper is also significantly cheaper.

All of those, plus the NR licenses come from the State Police, who can maintain one of those nice credit-card-like-license-making machines. Local PDs don't have them, nor would I want them to have to buy them.

Mine is a NR, but what I'd probably do would be to photo-reduce and laminate it so it fit in my wallet. That is what I did with my PA license which is similar to what is described here.
Friend did that a few years ago with his New York License (laminated it), cuz it was the last one ever issued there...
[emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom