NH Daytime Coyote Hunting

Trouble is, for all intents and and purposes, that just does not happen.

For all intents and purposes, most COs won't care if you drop a yote.

Any explanation that the critter threatened you, your pet, your kid, your enjoyment of the scenery [smile], gives them a justification to say "have a nice day."

I agree that it's not likely one will make itself known to you unless you're actively looking for it, but I've one come to within 15 yards of me on the trail and split before I could get a shot off.

I will probably take the time to ask the CO that comes to our club meetings and report back.

I heard back from New Hampshire F&G law enforcement on this topic. I think we ultimately came up to this conclusion but hopefully others with find it interesting:

...snip...
As you stated a person could shoot a coyote anytime in defense of themselves or their property day or night. There is no closed season on coyotes so a landowner could shoot one anytime during the daytime on their property and would not need a license to do so. During the season when night hunting for coyotes is legal, January 1st through March 31st a landowner could shoot coyotes on their property legally at night without a license. If the hunting of the coyotes occurs on someone else's land, day or night, then the person would need to have a license. There are no reporting requirements.

If a person is hunting for coyotes at night they do have to get a "Night Hunting for Coyote" permit signed by the landowner on whose land they are going to be hunting and that has to be filed with the Fish and Game Department before any hunting occurs. If the person is baiting for coyote they would have to have a baiting permit signed by the landowner and filed with Fish and Game before any bait could be placed.

As far as the use of pistols is concerned there is nothing preventing a person from using a pistol to hunt coyotes day or night. If the person is hunting at night in one of the towns with firearms restrictions they would be limited to .22 caliber rimfire if using a rifle or a handgun.
...snip...

Two years ago I was hiking down off Passaconaway and Whiteface and it was getting on towards dusk....several times I heard yotes off in the distance but didn't think too much about it. I was about 1/2 mile from the trail head when I saw one cross the trail in front of me about 75' away and he looked right at me. Besides the fact that they had been quiet for about 15 minutes, I hadn't given it too much thought until I saw that one...

I was carrying my 380 LCP in my pocket so I pulled it out and readied it just in case...it was getting dark enough to where it was getting hard to see definite shapes and I'm sure sometimes my eyes were playing tricks on me but I was almost sure I was being stalked by these things, or at least being watched from not too far away. I could hear yipping not too far off which sounded like 2-3 yotes circling around me.

I made it out of the woods and I was damned glad to see my car...it took me only seconds to get into it and close the door...no post hike stretching or leisurely putting away my pack, taking off my hiking boots and putting on my mocs, etc.

I related this story to a CO that my brother is friends with a few weeks later and he said that they are hearing of more and more people being stalked by these things and that even if he were hiking as a "civilian" he wouldn't hesitate to carry because of what he knows and has seen.

No cal. restrictions

I live in Derry and called about firearm restrictions for coyote hunting. There are no restrictions regarding caliber for coyote hunting. Takem out with an AR or a nine.

...unique behavioral characteristics ... interbreeding with Canadian gray wolves...

don't do it at night
By "it" I assume you mean don't hunt coyote, in Derry, with a pistol? Or with an AR?

I'm nowhere near Derry, and the only time I see or hear coyote is dusk and later. So yeah, I'm taking these mini-wolves at night.

it was directed at the infidel, hunting coyote at night in those restricted towns w/ anything other than what is listed in the statute will get him in trouble, you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom