NH Daytime Coyote Hunting

I haven't been able to find this answer anywhere.

From the NH F&G website:

Deer hunting and night hunting of coyotes is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum, or bow and arrow or crossbow in the following towns:

Then it names many towns. It does not say anything about daytime Coyote Hunting. If I am hiking with my concealed handgun (I have the proper license), and my hunting license, can I take a coyote with a handgun caliber, such as 9mm, .40, .45ACP, etc?

NH has no closed season for coyotes statewide. The section you're referring to lists restrictions on firearms use for towns with special rules (the populated ones). You can hunt coyotes at any time during the day in any town. If you want to hunt them at night, you can only do so with written landowner permission and only between January 1 and March 31. If you're in one of the towns with special restrictions, you can hunt them in the daytime all year, or at night in the specified season, but only with the types of firearms specified.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_small_game.htm

Also see pages 23 and 33 of the Hunting Digest. You can view an online version of the Digest at the right sidebar at the following link:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting.htm

Your original post, based on the title and the highlighted terms, seemed to make a point of emphasizing when you could hunt them. In any event, I thought I answered your question as to your choice of calibers. Unless you're in the towns with restrictions on type of firearm or caliber with which you can hunt, have at it with anything you've got.

Last edited:
I really don't think an NH officer is going to care that you killed a coyote if you were defending yourself from it, let alone what caliber bullet was used to kill it.

I wrote to the F&G, but the reason I am concerned is I live in one of the special towns, and want to be sure if I shoot a coyote during the day with a carry pistol I am in the clear. Sorry for confusing my intent.

Here's the F&G Administrative Rule, which is more informative than the Digest:

Fis 303.06 Coyote.

(a) Coyote may be taken year round 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset by any legal method.

(b) Coyote may be taken by hunting at night in accordance with RSA 208:1-e and as follows:

(1) The open season shall be from January 1 through March 31;

(2) Artificial lights, except lights from a motor vehicle or OHRV or snowmobile, may be used to illuminate coyotes;

(3) Electronic calling devices may be used;

(4) No person shall bait coyote on ice covered public waters; and

(5) In towns restricted to weapon types pursuant to RSA 208:3, 208:3-b, and 208:3-c, only .22 caliber rimfire, shotguns, muzzleloading rifles or bow and arrow shall be permitted for the taking of coyote at night.

(c) Any person hunting coyote at night shall obtain a written landowner permit described in Fis 1102.11 for the property on which he or she takes or attempts to take coyote or when hunting coyote over bait, a permit described in Fis 1102.04 or Fis 307.04.

So, it appears that it breaks down this way: Daytime, you can take them by "any legal method." (Presumably, you would need to have a hunting license on you or be defending yourself). At night, if you are in a town where the special deer rules apply, you can only use the methods in subsection (b) above, but not the firearm calibers that are permitted for deer in those same towns. Note that all the applicable restrictions are listed in subsection (b), which applies only to night hunting. There are no qualifiers or restrictions under subsection (a) limiting the "any legal method" language.

Does this clear it up?

Anytime. Just one caution though - as you can see, the rule/digest/statutes rely on a lot of cross-referencing, which tends to muddy the waters. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to tell you, because they once read the night restrictions and are applying them broadly, that shooting a coyote in the daytime with a 9mm was illegal. Not unlike the guy who once told me it was illegal to hunt deer with buckshot anywhere in the state, when it's actually allowed everywhere but 6 towns. Would hope that your friendly neighborhood F&G LEO would know better, but you never know...

If you talk to a local granddad, he'll tell you that when he was a kid, there weren't any coyotes in New Hampshire. He'd be right, and lots of farmers would love to see those days again

So, it appears that it breaks down this way: Daytime, you can take them by "any legal method." (Presumably, you would need to have a hunting license on you or be defending yourself). At night, if you are in a town where the special deer rules apply, you can only use the methods in subsection (b) above...
F&G also states that "Written landowner permission filed with the local conservation officer is required to hunt coyote at night or to place bait for coyotes.". Of course if you are the resident landowner, you don't need a hunting license, and you don't need to grant yourself written permission nor file it with the local officer. Just like with deer, landowners still need to obey the relevant laws, seasons, and limits.

Between taking the hunter safety course and otherwise speaking with police and conservation officers in NH, I've gotten the impression that as long as it was safe to take the shot, they've all been of the opinion that the only good coyote is a dead coyote,

If I am going out to hunt Coyotes, then I doubt I would bring the 9mm or 45. I would bring a gun I want to shoot a coyote with. I guess my concern was if I am to take a walk in the woods for the sake of walking, and am carrying any gun (which I always am), and I shoot them with what I have on me, that my success from killing a coyote would be short lived because I didn't use the right caliber and get my balls busted.

Between taking the hunter safety course and otherwise speaking with police and conservation officers in NH, I've gotten the impression that as long as it was safe to take the shot, they've all been of the opinion that the only good coyote is a dead coyote,

I've gotten the exact same impression. Ask them about bears, and they're no nonsense about telling you you'd better be sure you're in danger before pulling the trigger on one (unless you're legally hunting it). Ask them about the same thing with coyotes and you tend to get the ol' "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" demeanor as they tell you the rules. Then they finish with "...but if you have feel that it's a threat..."

Kinda reminds me of the old South Park bit. As long as you tell them "It was comin' right at us!" you're probably ok with the 'yotes. The South Park defense is less likely to work on bears though.

I guess my concern was if I am to take a walk in the woods for the sake of walking, and am carrying any gun (which I always am), and I shoot them with what I have on me, that my success from killing a coyote would be short lived because I didn't use the right caliber and get my balls busted.

Hmmm... philosophy time... if a 'yote dies in the forest, and nobody cares... [wink]

If I'm going in deep, I carry a .44. If I'm packing lighter and not going in very far or for very long, it might be a .45. If I happen to go in the woods unexpectedly, I might have only a J-frame .38 in a front pocket. In all cases, if I can get a bead on a coyote, I won't hesitate to take a shot at him regardless of what I'm carrying.

I suppose the other way to look at is, the coyotes fill a predator niche, without them, we'd need to bring back wolves.

I've gotten the exact same impression. Ask them about bears, and they're no nonsense about telling you you'd better be sure you're in danger before pulling the trigger on one (unless you're legally hunting it). Ask them about the same thing with coyotes and you tend to get the ol' "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" demeanor as they tell you the rules. Then they finish with "...but if you have feel that it's a threat..."

Kinda reminds me of the old South Park bit. As long as you tell them "It was comin' right at us!" you're probably ok with the 'yotes. The South Park defense is less likely to work on bears though.

Funny that you mention that, since one of the questions asked of the F&G officer during my class was along the lines of "There's this bear that hangs out behind the houses on my block, one of the neighbors feeds it, now the bear knocks over the garbage cans; on a moonless night I nearly walked into the bear while taking out the trash, and I'm worried about my kids...". The response was twofold:
  1. Give us a call; we will ticket your neighbor for feeding the bear.
  2. if the bear poses an immediate threat, you do what you have to do, after all, if he's coming right for you...
[rofl]

If I am going out to hunt Coyotes, then I doubt I would bring the 9mm or 45. I would bring a gun I want to shoot a coyote with. I guess my concern was if I am to take a walk in the woods for the sake of walking, and am carrying any gun (which I always am), and I shoot them with what I have on me, that my success from killing a coyote would be short lived because I didn't use the right caliber and get my balls busted.

In this scenario, out for a walk with a 9mm and a coyote walks past you; would edhead35 have to do anything more after shooting it? Report it, bring it to a weigh station, etc? Or is this a sss kind of situation?

In this scenario, out for a walk with a 9mm and a coyote walks past you; would edhead35 have to do anything more after shooting it? Report it, bring it to a weigh station, etc? Or is this a sss kind of situation?

It would need to be reported, so it can be tagged. Either by F&G or a local police officer. Just like when you hit a deer with your car. It needs a tag to possess it.

Our CO from the hunter ed course said no action need be taken except for perhaps dragging it off the beaten path so kids and sheeple don't see it and freak out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Skin it and tan it. Some use the brains for tanning. I hope to do that this winter.

I suppose there is one other consideration regarding the 'if you aren't out looking for coyote, but one crosses your path' question, and that is -- do you have a valid NH hunting license? Lacking a license, shooting a coyote that actually is a threat is of course legal, but I'd think that taking the hide would be unlawful.

Skin it and tan it. Some use the brains for tanning. I hope to do that this winter.
I'm half tempted to go after coyotes this winter, including the whole tanning thing, but on the other hand I've always owned dogs, skinning something so dog-like just feels wrong.

On the other hand, Eastern Coyotes are an invasive species, and it's like pulling up Thistle plants-- painful, but the right thing to do. Shooting an animal just for living isn't exactly great wildlife management, but there's an open season on yotes for exactly this reason...

That said, I'll pass on the brains.

I suppose there is one other consideration regarding the 'if you aren't out looking for coyote, but one crosses your path' question, and that is -- do you have a valid NH hunting license?

Is a license is required on your property? They are not a bad thing to have, and the money does support a good cause, but I don't believe you need one if you're on your own property.

That said, did we reach the conclusion that doing so with a pistol is completely legal, regardless if it's self-defense or hunting?

Yes, as long as you're NOT (1)hunting (2) at night (3) in one of the restricted towns.

Would you mind rephrasing that, because it doesn't really make sense or answer the question.

If I'm not hunting, it would be self-defense. Can I only defend myself during the day? What would a restricted town matter if I'm defending myself.

I still think my answer makes sense. But maybe that's just 'cause I make supreme sense to myself. [wink]

The question is: "Is it legal to shoot a coyote with a pistol regardless of whether it 's self-defense or hunting?"

My answer was "Yes" you CAN shoot a coyote with a pistol. With the following qualifier:

You CANNOT shoot a coyote with a pistol if you satisfy ALL of the following three criteria: You are (1) hunting (2) at night, and (3) in one of the restricted towns.

Ergo:

If you are NOT hunting (i.e. you are shooting in self defense), you can shoot a coyote with a pistol anywhere, statewide, even if it's at night and even if you're in one of the restricted towns.

If you ARE hunting during the day, you can shoot a coyote with a pistol statewide, subject to applicable hunting regulations, which means you have to have a license.

If you ARE hunting at night, you can shoot a coyote with a pistol, subject to applicable hunting regulations, which means (1) you have to have a license, (2) it must be during the night-hunting season and (3) you can do it anywhere statewide EXCEPT in one of the restricted towns.

Clearer? (Please keep in mind, I didn't write the laws...just trying to help make sense of them).

Last edited:
Is a license is required on your property? They are not a bad thing to have, and the money does support a good cause, but I don't believe you need one if you're on your own property.
I agree, the license fee goes to a good cause.

The "resident landowner" exception is interesting, as I recall the exception applies to animals for which you don't need a special permit or stamp.

Would you mind rephrasing that, because it doesn't really make sense or answer the question.

If I'm not hunting, it would be self-defense. Can I only defend myself during the day? What would a restricted town matter if I'm defending myself.

Defending yourself from a coyote?[laugh2][thinking][shocked]

Clearer? (Please keep in mind, I didn't write the laws...just trying to help make sense of them).

Yes, clearer, and thank you for taking the time to write it up in detail. I still think your initial answer was confusing and did not answer the question. I feel like I asked "Can I wear a red or blue shirt?" and you answered "Yes, as long as it's blue." :) I will probably take the time to ask the CO that comes to our club meetings and report back. There are a lot of opinions, most of which are contradictory.

Defending yourself from a coyote?[laugh2][thinking][shocked]

Well, to me self-defense generically describes all lawful use of arms:
NH Bill of Rights said:
[Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.] All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

Whether that's someone (myself or a loved-one) feeling threatened by a coyote during a walk, one chasing my dogs or chickens around the yard, etc.; I lump that under "self-defense." To me, what I said is equivalent to:
If one is not hunting, it would be defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state

Back
Top Bottom