• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH ACTION ALERT: HB1589 ***DEFEATED***

Better yet, clone dinosaurs from DNA samples found in the blood of a mosquito preserved in amber.

Put them on an island. Include rare and exotic flaura and fauna. Then release a public statement about saying everything on the island must be destroyed.

Tree huggers will flock to the island to protest.... Problem solved and you save on dinosaur feed.

Last edited:
Just got an email from Pam Tucker:

Greetings:As you likely know by now, we were able to overturn the Ought to Pass (OTP) recommendation for HB1589 and turn it into an Inexpedient to Legislate (ITL) motion that killed the bill 2:1 on the house floor.

Thank you for your calls and letters in support of defeating this bill. Even with your support, we faced a tough battle. Your calls and emails let your representatives know that this was a bad bill from the start.

The proponents of HB1589 have not given up and vowed to keep the issue alive. I truly hope you will be active this summer and fall helping elect freedom minded individuals like yourself to the state house to prevent these battles in the future.

Please let me know if I can be of help in the future.

Again, thank you.

Pam Tucker

I like her....

“The only thing worse than seeing the bill go down is seeing a vote that supported it first,” said Zandra Hawkins of Granite State Progress.

hAA915AEA

”“The only thing worse than seeing the bill go down is seeing a vote that supported it first,” said Zandra Hawkins of Granite State Progress.

That's a funny way of interpreting two votes to reduce the scope of the bill followed by a sound defeat. Looks to me like three votes against, with none in favor.

I'll try to post when I get home but Mr Moffett from Canterbury is one that voted for the bill so it would be nice to see someone with a brain step up and run

Nice job, and congratulations!

Now, turn this into something useful, and find out who the traitors are, and work on removing them. Look how successful Deb was in Westford.

It CAN be done!

Take them out for 'whale watching'. Put them all into smaller boats (from the main one) and tell them to go to certain points (GPS coordinates). Once they reach there, have scuttling charges trigger to sink the boats. Get the smaller boats donated from wherever possible. Even if they're ready for the scrapyard. Maybe even have the engine area sealed so it will float, to prevent any environmental issues (got to keep those tree huger's happy). Or give them all parasail tickets, sending them all over the place (so none get wind of what's going on). Then several miles out to sea, cut the line and let nature take care of business.

Or put them all onto an island out in the middle of no where. With no fauna to feed them (no flora to eat either) and tell them no pickup for six months. Any that are left living can come back... Maybe... Maybe include one gun, with three bullets, somewhere on the island.

That's all too complicated. Didn't you see Jaws? Let them sort themselves out after you give them small boats, cheap beer, and a few snubbies and Arisakas.

600px-Jaws_118.jpg

We need NESers and other freedom-loving people to run against the bill sponsors. Even if you have to DINO it whatever, just do it.

I think one of my critters-to-be was a cosponsor. Trouble is, I'm still in the Constipation State. (Not sure it would look good as newcomer running right off the bat, anyway.)

To see what the opposition is doing ( Opposition research is always a good idea) take a stroll over to this FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/SandyHookPromise
They are more then ever committed to disarming law abiding citizens:

For example:
"Citizenship means standing up for the lives that gun violence steals from us each day. I have seen the courage of parents, students, pastors, and police officers all over this country who say “we are not afraid,” and I intend to keep trying, with or without Congress, to help stop more tragedies from visiting innocent Americans in our movie theaters, shopping malls, or schools like Sandy Hook."
Thank you President Obama for your commitment to ending gun violence. We are confident that by working together we can make our country safer for all our children.

or this one:
LEGISLATIVE UPDATE: Last month, Nicole Hockley and Mark Barden traveled to New Hampshire to advocate for legislation that would require criminal background checks for all commercial sales and transfers, preventing dangerous criminals from purchasing firearms online and at gun shows. On Tuesday, the New Hampshire House Commerce Committee passed House Bill 1589.

As we celebrate the bill’s initial success, we know that HB 1589 will need even more support as it continues to the House floor for a vote this week. The 89% of New Hampshire residents in favor of closing these background check loopholes must make themselves seen and heard.

Please direct your emails to [email protected] with "support HB 1589" in the subject line and share with all family and friends from New Hampshire.

-- Sandy Hook Promise

How about you (SHP) work to relax the CT gun laws and allow the teachers the ability to protect their students. Instead, they (SHP) insist on interjecting themselves into our legislative process...

i have no idea where they come up with this bullshit about people supporting this crap. i've yet to run into anyone in person who would support background checks in NH.

granted i don't ask the libtards in peterborough or keene, but you know what i mean.

I think one of my critters-to-be was a cosponsor. Trouble is, I'm still in the Constipation State. (Not sure it would look good as newcomer running right off the bat, anyway.)

NH has a 2 year residency requirement in order to run for state rep.

i have no idea where they come up with this bullshit about people supporting this crap. i've yet to run into anyone in person who would support background checks in NH.

granted i don't ask the libtards in peterborough or keene, but you know what i mean.

I have. In Nashua.

The support of background checks is quite simple.

Walk up to anyone in the mall and ask:

"Do you think we should keep dangerous killing machines out of the hand of mentally ill felons by requiring the commercial sales of weapons to include a simple background check?"

See, 90% of people agree with universal background checks!

Ask enough stupid people and of course they would support it... but it also needs to be framed that joe average doesn't understand how existing gun laws operate. The other funny thing that they probably don't understand is there isn't exactly a burgeoning secondary gun market going on in NH. Only a tiny fraction (in relative terms) of all gun sales going on in the state don't involve a dealer and the attendant background check.

The irony of this whole law failing is most of the reasons for failure had nothing to do with "universal background checks." and everything to do with all the other related garbage. It just goes to show you that their only goal is to **** with lawful gun owners and discouraging sales of firearms. This bill, in reality, had VERY LITTLE to do with "Universal Background Checks" and everything to do with altering people's behaviors or creating deterrence effects regarding private sales of firearms.

-Mike

The response from Mr Moffett
Dear Mr. T

Thank you for your e-mail about HB 1589. I had fully meant to reply before the vote, but it was an extraordinarily busy week for me, and there were a number of things I didn't get to. However, I owe you an explanation for my vote.

I voted in favor of the Committee amendment (deleting the requirement for background checks in gun sales between people who know each other, since it seemed unnecessary and unreasonable to apply background checks to family and friends). I voted against the floor amendment to convert the bill to a study committee, because I agreed with the basic intent of HB 1589. Had that floor amendment not passed, I would have voted for HB 1589 as amended by the Committee amendment, because I believe that basic background checks in commercial gun sales (including at gun shows) just makes good common sense.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment, and I don't believe simple NICS background checks to prevent gun sales to felons and those who have been adjudicated dangerous to themselves or others represent an infringement on 2nd Amendment rights. When measured against the potential that a background check could save lives by keeping firearms out of the wrong hands, it seems to me this is the kind of reasonable regulation that actually makes the 2nd Amendment stronger, not weaker. Balanced regulations like this have been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in recent cases like Heller v. District of Columbia.

I believe the overwhelming majority of gun owners in New Hampshire are responsible, law-abiding citizens who are well trained in gun safety and use their guns for perfectly legitimate purposes. I'm not worried about them, and personally I don't think they should be concerned about HB 1589 (I realize you disagree). Responsible gun owners may be inconvenienced by having to go through a background check if they want to buy or sell a gun with someone they don't know, but if that saves even one life, it's worth it to me. The rash of recent mass shootings by dangerously mentally ill individuals is not something I'm prepared to accept without looking for sensible ways to prevent them, and HB 1589 seems to me to represent a reasonably balanced step toward preventing more of these mass tragedies.

Some feel that background checks are a first step to a national registry of gun owners. I don't think this fear is well-founded, but I understand that some gun owners honestly believe this. In either case, HB 1589 expressly provided that "Nothing in this [law] shall be construed to require or authorize any state, county, or local law enforcement agency to establish or maintain a registry of firearms sold or transferred in accordance with this chapter," and federal law prohibits the creation of any such registry at the federal level.

I respect the fact that you disagree with me on this, and again, I thank you for your e-mail. I'd appreciate the opportunity to talk with you more about this if you are so inclined.

Respectfully,

Howard Moffett

Sounds like Moffett is uneducated on New Hampshire gun laws. However (and giving him the benefit of the doubt), it sounds like he'd be willing to keep an open mind. You ought to take him up on his offer to talk more with him and let him know how the gun laws here work.

That or just vote him out of office in November lol

Translation: He's in favor of some interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, is not a privacy advocate, doesn't connect the relationship between government knowing where all the guns are and the right to keep them, thinks saying a bill doesn't authorize something means it forbids it, and has no idea we're talking about STATE law and that our STATE constitution could limit our STATE government's powers more than the US Constitution does.

Sounds like Mr. Moffett should be first on the list (so far) of those who need to be removed from office.

You NH guys might enjoy reading this article which was printed in today's Hartford Courant written by Judy Aron, one of your newest residents. I'm jealous!

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/

Congrats on slamming the door on such pervasive legislation.

Rome

Dont be jealous anymore. You can leave too. You just have to want it bad enough.

Yep, however, it's an illegal database (CT has had NO registration before this new legislation) and if things hold true to estimates, they're talking about 10% of the CT population to be put in jail. I wonder how that's going to down in Hartford.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom