• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH ACTION ALERT: HB1589 ***DEFEATED***

From E.Elaine Andrews-Ahearns .gov bio (maybe written in 2006?)

"This is my Freshman year as a Member of the House of Representatives and I enjoy it tremendously. There is so much to learn, and it is such a wonderful opportunity to work with so many bright, talented and dedicated people."

Lets hope its her senior year too.

how about just "drop out"....

All,
Thank you for the help in killing this monstrosity. Clearly the NH citizens that were aggravated by the blatant disregard for their civil and constitutional rights were highly motivated to stop this bill and sent many emails and made numerous phone calls. The next step is to start looking for replacements for any member that did not support the motion for the study committee.

BTW: At one point, Butler realized that this study committee was going to be "Pro-firearm" in make up [see highlighted line in red], he then worked to table the bill to gut the language of the study amendment and come up with some anti-gun study committee where the speaker chose the house members so that no gun owners would be on the committee. The subtleness of the amendment was the committee make up which was buried in the weeds of the language. The language was intentionally drafted to make sure we had a 4:3 advantage with the makeup of the committee.

The best news of the day, is the bill is dead and we have the roll call vote on adopting this study committee (read the language below [sorry to pick on those in MA, but the FBI crime data supported the study of low crime in NH])

Rep. Hoell, Merr. 23
Rep. Baldasaro, Rock. 5
Rep. Rideout, Coos 7
Rep. Itse, Rock. 10
February 10, 2014
2014-0467h
04/10

Floor Amendment to HB 1589-FN

Amend the title of the bill by replacing it with the following:
AN ACT establishing a committee to study the correlation between current New Hampshire law and the low violent crime rate in this state.
Amend the bill by replacing all after the enacting clause with the following:

*1 Committee Established. There is established a committee to study the correlation between current New Hampshire law and the low violent crime rate in this state.
*2 Membership and Compensation.

I. The members of the committee shall be as follows:

(a) Six members of the house of representatives, 3 of whom shall be from the majority party, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, and 3 of whom shall be from the minority party, appointed by the minority leader of the house of representatives.

(b) One member of the senate, appointed by the president of the senate.

II. Members of the committee shall receive mileage at the legislative rate when attending to the duties of the committee.

*3 Duties. The committee shall:

I. Study the correlation between current New Hampshire law and the low violent crime rate in this state.

II. Study whether stricter gun control laws are effective at reducing the violent crime rate in this state.

III. Review and study national and state publications related to the correlation between stricter gun control measures and the violent crime rate in this state, including data and reports published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation relating to the correlation between stricter gun control legislation and the violent crime rate in this state. The committee shall also review publications by law enforcement departments, including the Police One survey on the potential effects of proposed gun laws on reducing violent crime.

IV. Investigate the gun control measures in Connecticut and Massachusetts to understand the correlation between stricter regulatory controls and higher crime rates.

V. Study the effectiveness of our current criminal justice system in prosecuting violent criminals.

*4 Chairperson; Quorum. The members of the study committee shall elect a chairperson from among the members. The first meeting of the committee shall be called by the first-named house member. The first meeting of the committee shall be held within 45 days of the effective date of this section. Four members of the committee shall constitute a quorum.

*5 Report. The committee shall report its findings and any recommendations for proposed legislation to the speaker of the house of representatives, the president of the senate, the house clerk, the senate clerk, the governor, and the state library on or before November 1, 2014.

*6 Effective Date. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

2014-0467h

AMENDED ANALYSIS

This bill establishes a committee to study the correlation between current New Hampshire law and the low violent crime rate in this state.

Last edited:
Ah ha. Seeing the text of the "study version" makes it much more clear as to why those pro gun control wanted it not to pass.

Who would want actual data to be used. That doesn't work well for moonbat logic. If there is actual data you can't say "it's obvious that more laws means less crime!"

Thanks for your hard work on this as well.

From PGNH:

1: Rep. Baldasaro (R) moved to “Lay on Table” (a parliamentary procedure that means no further action unless the House votes to bring the bill back before the end of the legislative session): This was a close vote, but it failed by 163 to 165.

2: The House voted 174 to 166 to adopt the amendment (#0371) that the Commerce Committee had approved, which would at least drop the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor.

3: Rep. Hoell (R) submitted a floor amendment to change the bill into just a “study committee.” This motion was adopted, although by a squeaker vote of 177 to 175. Adopting an amendment, however, doesn’t mean that the bill will pass the House with that amendment.

4: Rep. Butler (D), the chair of the Commerce Committee, moved to lay the bill on the table. This failed, 173-183.

5: Rep. Lambert (R) moved to “Indefinitely Postpone” the bill, but this motion failed, 133 to 226.

6: The House then voted on whether or not to adopt the bill with the amendment proposed by Rep. Hoell, namely to turn the bill into just establishing a study committee. This FAILED by a vote of 165 to 195.

7: Then came the decisive motion by Rep. Gene Chandler (R), the minority leader, former Speaker of the House, and Pro-Gun New Hampshire Advisor, to kill the bill (declaring it “Inexpedient to Legislate,” or ITL, meaning kill it). This motion PASSED (!!) by a huge vote of 242 to 118, over two to one!

8: Finally, Rep. Chandler used a clever parliamentary trick: he moved to “reconsider” his own motion to kill the bill! He knew that because the House just voted so decisively to ITL (kill) the bill, it would DENY his motion to reconsider that vote – and the House did so, by a vote of 113 to 244. This was a clever process, because once a motion to reconsider fails, no further motions on that bill can be made – in other words, the nail’s in the coffin, and there’s nothing anyone can do to resurrect the bill. Hurray for Gene – the bill’s dead and gone!

Thanks to everyone who kept the pressure and attended at the statehouse.

We will have to continue to do this and more every year as the onslaught will continue.

Please make sure to talk about this and other bills at your local club meetings, with people not on NES and really anyone.

I just received an interesting telephone call from Representative Kenneth Gidge ( D-Nashua ). I think initially he thought I was FOR this bill. After a few minutes of him talking I told him you do know I am a conservative and very strong 2a, right? The tone of the conversation changed after that. A few times he used phrases like " you guys have to agree to changes "! It was a spirited call to say the least. [laugh] I told him the laws on the books now work, let's not try and change something that isn't broken!

He also said he wants to see NH enact " guns being locked up in your own home " type of law. I quickly replied, let me give you a scenario, bad guy is kicking down my front door, I now need an additional minute or two to unlock my firearm to defend my family? That is absurd!! He then says, well maybe just when someone isn't home.

We went round and around about many things regarding firearms. And after all of it, I simply said we will agree to disagree because I could not agree with ANY of his points ( I also had counter points for everything he brought up ). If this is the mindset on the average Democratic Rep, we need to stay vigilant! He stated he did not vote to pass HB 1589 and also this was his last term. So who here lives in Nashua and wants to run? ;)

I did thank him for reaching out to me and at least he had the conviction to speak on what he believes. I am still unsure why he did as I am not even in his district.

It may not be over yet, because she will not give up......

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140212/NEWS/140219895/-1/NEWSMAP

She said by the end of the week, she plans to plan strategy with bill supporters about ways to bring the legislation back, perhaps as an amendment to an existing bill. “We’ll keep working on this,” she said.
Ahearn called the final vote “horrible, absolutely horrible. We were outmaneuvered. We were all very confused, and I think that was the point.”“The only thing worse than seeing the bill go down is seeing a vote that supported it first,” said Zandra Hawkins of Granite State Progress.

Hawkins is working with Ahearn to determine whether the original bill can be attached to existing legislation. If that is not possible, she said gun control advocates will be working House districts statewide in anticipation of the fall elections.

I would be equally OK with shooting them. Out of a cannon. Into the ocean. Or the Sun.

Take them out for 'whale watching'. Put them all into smaller boats (from the main one) and tell them to go to certain points (GPS coordinates). Once they reach there, have scuttling charges trigger to sink the boats. Get the smaller boats donated from wherever possible. Even if they're ready for the scrapyard. Maybe even have the engine area sealed so it will float, to prevent any environmental issues (got to keep those tree huger's happy). Or give them all parasail tickets, sending them all over the place (so none get wind of what's going on). Then several miles out to sea, cut the line and let nature take care of business.

Or put them all onto an island out in the middle of no where. With no fauna to feed them (no flora to eat either) and tell them no pickup for six months. Any that are left living can come back... Maybe... Maybe include one gun, with three bullets, somewhere on the island.

Back
Top Bottom