Newest Member of the SR1911 Pitting Club

After what I experienced I just pulled the grips on my 90-year-old Colt 1911 Transition. I found a very slight amount of oil/grime and a little bit of lacquer adherence from the grips, indicating to me that it had gone many years without cleaning under the grips. What I did not find was even a single speck of corrosion/pitting.

Update: as of 11:24 EST I've received FedEx notification that my SR1911 is scheduled to be picked up from Ruger today for its return to me.
Same with my 96 yo Colt 1911. They just don't make them like they used to. Jack.

Same with my 96 yo Colt 1911. They just don't make them like they used to. Jack.

I think ruger was getting lazy and using the same tooling to cut grind and polish steel and stainless .
My day job is all bio or semiconductor . 90% of the work we do is 316 stainless .
All the tools we use on non stainless are tagged and stored in different section of the shop cause it will cause stainless to rust much faster .

I think ruger was getting lazy and using the same tooling to cut grind and polish steel and stainless .
My day job is all bio or semiconductor . 90% of the work we do is 316 stainless .
All the tools we use on non stainless are tagged and stored in different section of the shop cause it will cause stainless to rust much faster .
When I was with an outfit that made stainless steel sailboat rigging we would electropolish the 316 parts to cure that. Jack.

When I was with an outfit that made stainless steel sailboat rigging we would electropolish the 316 parts to cure that. Jack.

A lot of the tubbing we buy comes in electropolish .
ca9adb73206a63792ea4033cbdcc7719.jpg

Kinda hard to send stuff out after building it lol . Taken last night at my company's party .

Got it back from Ruger today. In addition to "repairing" the grip frame, they replaced the mainspring housing assembly, sear spring, and slide.

Here are pictures of the left side of the frame where I had found the pitting. You can still see the pits, but clearly it has been refinished in some fashion to remove the oxidized material. Hopefully it was also passivated again to prevent recurrence.

I certainly plan to add removal of the grips for cleaning and oiling into my regular cleaning regimen.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418146397.682223.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418146408.345974.jpg

Got it back from Ruger today. In addition to "repairing" the grip frame, they replaced the mainspring housing assembly, sear spring, and slide.

Here are pictures of the left side of the frame where I had found the pitting. You can still see the pits, but clearly it has been refinished in some fashion to remove the oxidized material. Hopefully it was also passivated again to prevent recurrence.

I certainly plan to add removal of the grips for cleaning and oiling into my regular cleaning regimen.

View attachment 121922

View attachment 121923

Did you get a cleaning cloth?

Back
Top Bottom