• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

gasaman

NES Member
I just bought a Dillon Square Deal to start reloading 38/357, 45ACP and 9mm. Where is the best variety of supplies? I am located in S.E. Mass.

Were in SE Mass? Acme in Plympton has some components and can probably help you out getting whatever you want. http://www.acmearmament.com/
Have you reloaded before? If not, get together with a buddy that does.

For pistol, the SDB is hard to beat. I have two on my reloading bench. One is set up in .45 ACP and the other one gets switched between nine different calibers depending on what I need to stock up on. [thumbsup]

Good luck.

For mass its tough. ACME ARMORMENT had several different types of powder last I was in there....bulk bullets can be tough there's so many opptions most places stock very little. Get in on group buys or find out when a shop gets their deliveries and wait. Four seasons used to pres order stuff for you. Not sure if they still do. Down side is waiting for order and the drive.
I load for range fun so I cast my own bullets....really brings the total cost down IF you get your lead free or cheap.

I'm located just off Rt.24 near Ikea. I have yet been to Acme, I'm sure I'll get there one of these days.

Middleboro Gun Shop - yeah I know, the owner can be a d**k - C&F Guns also in Middleboro. Even though nobody will tell you who there are plenty of places that ship stuff here.

Last edited:
if your looking to just get a pound of this or that and a few differenr bullets to try,,,,,kicking myself.......Bass pro has just about all the popular powders and bullets in small quanity............[puke] I dont like recomending them. Prices are higher than most. Just a heads up its best to be stuck with a lb or 2 of powders you dont end up useing rather than 8. Same with bullets. once you find a load you like you can go bulk

How about Dick's do they carry anything? Can I get some suggestions on supplies, like (X) powder works best for (Y) calliber. Or (Z) powder will work for all handgun calibers.

Best bet is to pick up a reloading book. I have harnady 7 th, speers and Lyman cast handbook. The library is a good source for books also.
you tube has endless info good or bad there's plenty
for you tube based stuff I like ammosmith.com, iragveteran8888, hitchcock45,ultimate reloader to name a few......

When it comes to finding componants you just need to search. I ask everyone. I have accumalated a lot of brass, bullets and other odds and ends from asking older gents ag the club what they got sitting around. I have met many older shooters who now would rather spend time shooting than reloading.

I strongly suggest you get a reloading manual or three. Read them three or four times. Also, search here as there is a ton of information. I have only been reloading a few months. Things I did right: read, read and read, started with only one caliber (357 mag), started with a light load and gradually went up. What I wish I had done: taken a reloading class though I might still do that...good luck. Reloading is fun, just remember its not really about cranking a s#%t load of ammo ( though you can and you do shoot more... I loaded 800 rounds of 357 yesterday morning and shot 500 of them with my son in the afternoon).

I bought up a reloading package deal. It came with books from the mid to late nineties. I looked at a couple YouTube vids. Will be doing some reading soon. Thanks

I'd suggest Lyman's 49th edition and "The ABC's of Reloading" as required reading. You might investigate "loaddata.com"which is a reloading site that lists most powder manufacturers suggested loads for most every caliber available. Current data is important. Some things have changed drastically since the mid 90's from which your current reading stuff originates.

Don't buy any books until you see what your local library has available. I went on line and had books sent to my home town library. I have found many books to be to vague and leave more questions than answers ABCs of reloading is one of those books I wish I did not pay actual cash for...I found the hornady manual much much better. Old manuals are just as good for the how to reload info. Some data has changed along with powder info.

I would suggest that you sign up for the next available opening in Eddie Coyle's reloading class. You
will be glad you did. I started reloading in the early 80's, and then got away from it for a long time.
Shortly after I started reloading again a couple of years ago, I signed up for one of Eddie's classes.
Learned a ton of stuff and had a lot of questions answered and some problems solved. It was one of the best investments I have made in a long time. Excellent instruction by a great teacher. [wink]

I haven't been to Acme in years but they can get you what you need and are standup folks.

But before you try anything, definitely get as many books as you can get your hands on. Eddie Coyle held a reloading class at Acme IIRC and everyone who takes the class is well on their way to making quality ammo while not wasting time/money on crap that only sets you back in the learning curve.

DukeInMaine also teaches reloading and has lots of brass to trade as well. If you are interested in casting your own boolits, he has plenty of experience and can also save you time and money.

Back
Top Bottom