Newbie and OCW tests: .308 Win

I was able to get out to the range last weekend to perform the OCW test I had ready for my new Savage 10T .308 win but the results have me thinking my next one might need some load/charge adjustment. I have them ready to go but the results of this one make me wonder if I should have a different powder ramp. Looking for some thoughts.

Additional Info:
Chamber seams tight Nosler fired case comes in at "Zero" on a RCBS precision mic and the throat is short a 175gr SMK touching the lands has an COAL of about 2.820"

Test 1:
Nosler Brass
175gr SMK
CCI BR2 Primers
.020" off lands
Varget, started around 40gr and stopped at 43.2 as I saw pretty flat primer with very slight cratering. (EC I saved these cases for the class I plan to take in June). Node looks like it is around 42.8gr, I will have to confirm.

Test 2 (the one in question):
Lapua Brass
178gr Hornady ELD-X
CCI BR2 Primers
.020" off lands
Varget, After a couple sighters, groups will start at 41.6 and go up by .2 till 42.6 (.2 over max according to Hornady data with Hornady brass).

The Lapua brass has slightly less case capacity and the ELD-X has a larger bearing surface which has me thinking I might want to rethink my charge ramp. Problem is that they are already to go. I guess worst case scenario if I am watching for pressure signs is the test will be over prematurely, but I hate wasting time as there is not much of it these days.

Thoughts?

I say run your test and watch for signs.
You might as well see where you stand with the case and bullet combo.
Varget seems to have a lot of "compressed" load data so you should be OK?

Hodgdon online has a 175 Sierra with. Max of 45grains of varget compressed load....

Run your tests if your primers show signs or you start having problems extracting stop...

Mind you when you do your test you might want to cleAn your barrel between tests. I was having a hard time testing different bullets at the same time... PatMcdonald here on nes pointed out that accuracy may suffer when you shoot different bullets unless you clean the barrel of shoot several rounds to "season" the bore to the change of bullets.

Last edited:
I read that too about cleaning between so i did do that. The Hodgon data uses winchester brass which in all my research claims to have more case capacity. Nosler claims 43.5gr max of varget with a similar bullet with Nosler brass i got to 43.2 when i saw signs, which i believe hornady lists as the max for that bullet weight range.

Interestingly enough the american eagle 308win 150gr fmjbt i blasted after my test to have some fun had some slight primer cratering too.

I read that too about cleaning between so i did do that. The Hodgon data uses winchester brass which in all my research claims to have more case capacity. Nosler claims 43.5gr max of varget with a similar bullet with Nosler brass i got to 43.2 when i saw signs, which i believe hornady lists as the max for that bullet weight range.

Interestingly enough the american eagle 308win 150gr fmjbt i blasted after my test to have some fun had some slight primer cratering too.

well give them a try..... I know case volume has affect on pressure im just wondering how much with a specific powder? Seeing Varget loaded to compression on some 308 loads pressure might not be has increased as some other powders.
My 308 reloading was short lived as i sold my only 308 bolt gun to buy a M1 garand 10 years ago.
Although im planing a 308 M1 build so I will be getting back to it.
like to see your results

Back
Top Bottom