Another Newbie question about supplies and gun shows

HarryPottar

NES Member
I have another newbie question. I have everything set up (Dillon 650XL) brass cleaned all set for my first reload experience. However I don't have any supplies, I was planning on heading down to Shooting Supplies in Westford (Fall River). Looking for powder (been told tightgroup for 9mm & 380acp not sure on .223), some bullets and primers.

However I just noticed that there is a gun show in Concord NH Today and Tomorrow (5th&6th).

Anyone been to one of these and purchased reloading supplies? I wouldn't be able to go until tomorrow (Sunday) which means do I skip shooting supplies and go to the show or skip the show and go shooting supplies.
Are there big savings to be had, wasted trip, I could go to shooters outpost on the way back, will I find a cheap M&P 15-22, will I be denied admission for wet tumbling... argh... OCD hurts [crying]

harry

I used to go to this particular show, but prices have driven me away.

You will find primers, powder and bullets at this show. Prices aren't likely to be good based on what I saw last year.

A NES dealer advertised some specials here down in your area IIRC for primers that were a lot better than what you can expect in Concord.

Call around and see if dealers local to you have what you want and if prices are reasonable. Isn't there also a place in RI with good supplies that people have discussed here.

As for NH you are likely to see better prices at Riley's and Shooters Outpost (you will be "carded") than at the show for reloading supplies.

NOTE: I've bought ammo and primers from Glenn at shows before but his prices last year at this show were obscene (specifically on generic .22s, I think it was ~$75/brick) and a subject of much conversation.

Thanks for the feed back Len, I don't mind being carded.

I'm in Bellingham, I know of one Gun shop in Woonsocket but I don't think he deals in reloading supplies, I will give him a call. If there is another around RI please let me know.

Because we are so close to RI we spend a lot of time in Providence, wife likes the farmers market on Wednesday and Saturdays and good places to eat out there (Red Stripe) which is why I would like a non resident LTC for RI but thats for another thread.

Shooting Supplies Westport is not that far, down 146 to Providence and the east on 195 into Fall River. They have bridge repairs going on at the moment at Fall River which slows things down. Can not carry down there as I will have to stop off for lunch with the wife in Providence.

I shell stick with my original plan and buy locallish, I will remain a gun show virgin and I really wanted pick up a fully auto 9mm Uzi that are so easy to find at these gun shows.

Side note, not been to Brattleboro VT for a couple of years, but Sams out there used to have cheap reloading supplies. (thinking day trips with the wife with hidden agenda)

Thanks for the feed back.

I don't go to RI, so no personal knowledge. I recall reading here about a place, I think it was around Warwick, that had reloading stuff, but someone from that area (calling Typeo1313) should be able to put you on the right track.

I was in Sam's I think it was in Burlington, VT (not certain) had a nice chat with a clerk. That was a couple of years ago. Wasn't shopping, just curious.

RI NR LTC is tough but if you do decide to go that route, I now have the Army-L targets and can qualify people for the RI LTC at Mansfield F&G. The targets are about the size of a garage door, hard to miss unless you are a LEO!!! [rofl]

ETA: When I went to the Concord show last year I spent ~30 minutes talking with Atty Evan Nappen just outside the door, mostly about the obscene prices in the show. Then I went in and I was all done in less than 90 minutes (I usually spend 3-4 hrs at a show) and bought nothing. This year, I'm taking a pass!

Last edited:
D&L and Heritage (1&2) have a fairly decent variety of powders, primers, etc. These three shops are in the Warwick/West Warwick area. There is Firearms Unlimited in Exeter ( junction of rts 165 and 3), but when I stopped a month or so back, they had no reloading gear. Foster Bear Arms in Foster is another possibility. They have new and fired brass and modest powder etc (been awhile since I've been there). Police Depot (?) on US6 (Scituate), a few miles East of FBA, may be worth a try, but I don't recall seeing any reloading supplies of note.

Mail order is probably best, but unless you do a sizable/group order, the hazmat fees for powder/primers is hard to swallow. Can't help you with the MA no-shipping dilemma, however.

Last edited:
Police Depot is out of business.

It's been a year or more since I stopped in Foster Bear (on the way to Mohegan Sun concert). They did carry some supplies back then, I assume that they still do.

D&L and Heritage were the two I saw mentioned here numerous times. Never been to either one.

D&L no question. Give them a call and ask them if they have a specific powder.

Side note, not been to Brattleboro VT for a couple of years, but Sams out there used to have cheap reloading supplies. (thinking day trips with the wife with hidden agenda)
If you are heading to VT, NH, and or ME you have plenty of choices. Riley's in Hooksett, NH is probably best; there's a shop in Littleton, Alstead and Whiefield, too. L.L. Cote (Errol) is like the KTP of northern NH. Kittery Trading Post usually has decent inventory. The VT shops that my brother hits are in Waterbury (Parro's) and Williston; a bit of a haul for you.
Seems like most gun shows are top-dollar affairs these days, but don't let me discourage you. Also look for swap meets at local gun clubs.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input I ended up getting every thing I needed at good prices from shooting supplies in westport. However as I've never ever been to a gun show I'm going to drive up to concord tomorrow with my son. Will pop into a few stores on the way. I called shooters outpost the quoted 10$ more for primers I just got from westport.

Harry

Al's in Derry is always well stocked with powder too and typically has primers and some projectiles but not a lot

Thanks for all the input I ended up getting every thing I needed at good prices from shooting supplies in westport. However as I've never ever been to a gun show I'm going to drive up to concord tomorrow with my son. Will pop into a few stores on the way. I called shooters outpost the quoted 10$ more for primers I just got from westport.

Harry

Use your GPS wisely. Mine is old as sin and I had to down load all the shops into it so,they came up on my GPS. I really have not been to many shops since my kids where born. Mail order 90% plus I,stock up for a few years worth of reloading supplies.
Heritage gun and coin in RI was my go-to place when I was reloading for shotgun. Best prices and inventory back then.
If your in fall river area, out back arms in plympton ma rt58 has a very good selection of powders,bullets,primers...... not a real bargain but has inventory.. I buy from them when I'm not order 6 8# jugs online.

It takes a,little time but you will work out a little net work or system. I ran several small group buys and now have a small group of reloaders to do a few big bulk orders with about every 18 months.
Just a few tips.
You can ship up to 6 8# jugs under one hazmat fee. Last order in late 2012 was 51$ shipped
You can ship 50,000 primers under one Haz fee or combine the 2 up to 70# or so.

There are other money saving wAys.
My last group order was for powder and primers snuck it in just before everything went kooku
Grand total was just under 2800$ vendor only charged for one hazmat fee plus gave us a 12% discount for a large order. I put the 3% cash back from my credit card and applied it to the shipping cost.
What sucks now is that vendor doesn't have the inventory to do large orders like that now.....or still!
Limited to 8 #s of powder per order per week. Primers are 5k per order per week IF they have what you want.

Don't forget about Cabelas in Hudson, MA. They should also have everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget about Cabelas in Hudson, MA. They should also have everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info but Cabela's has been a rough, I called Cabela's last Saturday and they confirmed they had a boat load of CCI small primers(500) in-stock on the self, on sale. So I drove over with the wife and spent 40 minutes while they searched for them.

Then they said they where on the truck, they had been entered in the system from the delivery paperwork. They said they should be unloaded within the hour. So I took my wife to dinner in Hudson.

Went back about 20 minutes before closing, still no sign of primers. The guy behind the counter offered to put me some boxes aside and would call me. No call, so Wednesday after shooting at Hopkington Sportsman club I drove up there and still no primers. I asked and then said they had a shipment in at the weekend and they where sold out. Cabela's don't do rain checks.

I have purchased a couple of items, tumbler and brass dryer but that was on line ship directly to home. Their reloading supplies are not that cheap, bullet heads and such.

So far I've had great luck with LGS for both arms and ammo and some great bargains.

Thanks for the suggestion but this episode and couple of others have left a bad taste in mouth about the store, if I can get it on line from them shipped then there not too bad.

harry

Shooters Outpost is stocked with primers & powder. I don't know what could have been $10.00 over any other place for primers, but Fiocchi small pistol primers are on sale for $39.99 for 1,500 or $299.99 for a case of 12,000
That's a heck of a deal. We also carry the full Dillon line at great prices.
9mm Fiocchi 115 Gr. is on sale at $10.99/50 .40 is on sale at $13.99/50 and .45 for $17.99/50
Federal XM193 or American Eagle AE.223 is still $159.99/500 Federal XM80 7.62x51 is only $299.99/500
Flats of 12 Ga. 1 1/8 oz target loads are $54.99/250

And plenty of Berry's Bullets!

Last edited:
I called yesterday, spoke with some one in the reloading department. They quoted $34.95 for 1,000 cci small pistol primers (500). They're $26 at Cabelas if they have them, $23 at local store in ma.

no offense intended just looking for good deals

harry

I called yesterday, spoke with some one in the reloading department. They quoted $34.95 for 1,000 cci small pistol primers (500). They're $26 at Cabelas if they have them, $23 at local store in ma.

harry

Not offended at all my friend, but we do have 1,500 ct. packs of Fiocchi at $39.99 or wooden box of 12,000 for $299.99 - with no sales tax of course :>)

harry

If your finding CCI primers for 23$/1000 buy as many as you can. That's pre 2012 price.
Best deal I can find on cci small pistol is 275$/10,000 add another 31$ for shipping and hazmat
Even wolf primers are into the low 20$ range now.

Last edited:
. . . Looking for powder (been told tightgroup for 9mm & 380acp not sure on .223), some bullets and primers.
Mike's Gun Shop in Whitinsville, MA, isn't far from you. He doesn't have huge quantities of any one item but has, nevertheless, a respectable selection of powder, primers, and bullets on the shelf. Prices? Not always what I prefer to pay, but he's in the neighborhood as opposed to an hour away in NH, and it's in stock.

If your finding CCI primers for 23$/1000 buy as many as you can. That's pre 2012 price.
Best deal I can find on cci small pistol is 275$/10,000 add another 31$ for shipping and hazmat
Even wolf primers are into the low 20$ range now.

He is correct: Cabelas every day price is $26. I paid $32 per thousand with shipping & hazmat six months ago. Wish I hadn't bc Cabelas isn't that far from me.

He is correct: Cabelas every day price is $26. I paid $32 per thousand with shipping & hazmat six months ago. Wish I hadn't bc Cabelas isn't that far from me.

Cable's has some buying power 26$/1000 is good. Although how often do they have them in stock. The 23$ @ the local store is really good.
Is cabela as bad as bass pro WRT shipping items to store for pick up?

My experience with bass pro is they never have what I want in stock...
Any way when you find deals buy as much as you can.... my little group buy circle bought a shit ton of wolf primers when they where 119$/10000.....should have bought more!

I have never been "carded" for reloading supplies at Shooters Outpost. This includes last Saturday (2 days ago) when I bought some powder, primers and bullets.

Not that I get up there much, but I've had a friend grab the S&B primers at the East Hartford store for $24.99 (with CT tax --> $26.58). Ammo requires a permit or certificate, but component purchases are still unencumbered.

Cabelas had a good selection when I was there last week of CCI and other primers. I bought a bunch of them. They were like 20% off and I used the $50 gift cards I bought for $40 so it was an even better deal.

Back
Top Bottom