• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie Question....

According to Hogdon Tech people they are the same.

231 seems to meter better.

If you want to know for sure call hodgdon.

Also ADI is the manufacture of many powders .....here is their equivalent powder chart.
There's also some good load data to be found.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp

Now this does not mean all the listed powders are the same in every way. Always be safe and test any new powder even lot to lot can change.... I had some BLC2 that needed to be dropped back a little when I bought a new jug.

Last edited:
My understanding is that they are the same...that being said, on the rare occasion I have found both sitting on a shelf for sale...I always reach for the Win231. Habit ? Superstition ? Who knows...

My understanding is that they are the same...that being said, on the rare occasion I have found both sitting on a shelf for sale...I always reach for the Win231. Habit ? Superstition ? Who knows...

I'd go for whatever is cheaper. I don't use those powders so I can't say which one is cheaper. But in the case of 296 and H110, H110 is usually a $1 cheaper/pound at places like Rileys or SO.

Fill a bathtub with water. Mix the water thoroughly. Have about eight jugs labeled Win Wet Liquid and eight jugs labeled Hodgdon Slim Liquid 15.
Fill up each jug from the bathtub. You now have eight jugs of WWL and eight jugs of HSL15. Tell me what the difference is?

I worked one summer in a pickle factory. For about half the day, we rant the "brand name" and, after lunch, we changed labels to whatever "generic name" we had orders for. The generic sold for less and if people were offered a sample of pickles from the name brand and the generic, it was amazing how often they preferred the name brand. Believe me, there was NO other change to the production line.

You know, after Hodgdon finally admitted this several years ago, I expected these questions to have disappeared; however, it is very clear proof that powders do vary lot-to-lot, as that is the ONLY variation these two powders have ever had.

Winchester is almost always more expensive, 'cause everyone knows Winchester makes better powder, while Hodgdon was always the surplus low-cost powder.

Fill a bathtub with water. Mix the water thoroughly. Have about eight jugs labeled Win Wet Liquid and eight jugs labeled Hodgdon Slim Liquid 15.
Fill up each jug from the bathtub. You now have eight jugs of WWL and eight jugs of HSL15. Tell me what the difference is?

I worked one summer in a pickle factory. For about half the day, we rant the "brand name" and, after lunch, we changed labels to whatever "generic name" we had orders for. The generic sold for less and if people were offered a sample of pickles from the name brand and the generic, it was amazing how often they preferred the name brand. Believe me, there was NO other change to the production line.

You know, after Hodgdon finally admitted this several years ago, I expected these questions to have disappeared; however, it is very clear proof that powders do vary lot-to-lot, as that is the ONLY variation these two powders have ever had.

Winchester is almost always more expensive, 'cause everyone knows Winchester makes better powder, while Hodgdon was always the surplus low-cost powder.

Winchester powders cost more because who ever wants to use the Winchester brand name has to pay licensing also Olin Corp owns the term Ball Powder.
I have have noticed Hosgdon has slowly been dropping "Winchester" powders.

Back
Top Bottom