6mm Remington Newbie

That Guy

Banned
I just acquired a nice Ruger M77 with a heavy barrel in 6MM Remington, apparently manufactured in 1972. I'm hoping to build a precision rifle - it already has an incredible Timney trigger installed. When I can afford it I"m going to put a nice scope and glass bedded stock on the gun. I'm not building a bench rest rifle, per se, more like a nice heavy duty rifle that can reach out to 500 - 600 yards.

But for reloading, I'm wondering if anyone else here reloads for 6mm? This gun has a 1:9 twist, so it will be able to handle heavier bullets and maybe take a deer in Maine if I ever get the notion. I bought some Hornady VMax 75gr and Sierra 85 gr HPBT to start with. I'm hoping to find a good load using H4895 or H4198 since I used both of these in other calibers and have a lot on hand. I've found recipes for them listed in manuals, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with these two powders in 6mm.

I ordered a set of Redding dies and I am waiting for them to come in. The gun came with four boxes of Remington ammo so I will have 80 pieces of brass to start. I've read some conflicting things about whether or not I can form brass out of other calibers of brass, so I'm also looking for advice on that.

Thanks in advance for the input - some of these answers are available online, I know, but I usually prefer to get the answers from a group I know and trust.

I just acquired a nice Ruger M77 with a heavy barrel in 6MM Remington, apparently manufactured in 1972.
The 6mm Remington lost out to the .243 Winchester. I understand it was a bad mix of twist rate and common ammo back in its day as a .244 Remington. Later, re-introduced as a 6mm Remington with a 1in9 twist (better for the 100+ grain bullets), it was a bit late as the .243 Win was popular then.
I don't shoot one, my cousin does, and it's a perfectly accurate caliber. The 55g-100gr seems to have the most data for 4198/4895. Little data for 4198/4895 with the 107g and 115g bullets.
Go for it and enjoy!
I have some older brass, if you ever get down Foxwoods way. I'll have to take inventory, since most of the earlier stash I had went to my cousin. I know I acquired some more since.

Last edited:
You can make brass from just about any .473 headed brass that's long enough. Pretty much it's the .257 Roberts necked down which is pretty much the 7x57
Mauser necked down.

I looked into the 257 Roberts brass and yes, it looks like I can neck that case down, but the 257 Roberts brass appears to be about the same price as just buying 6mm Remington brass, so that probably won't be much use to me unless 6mm brass dries up completely.

I have a ton of 30-06. If I want to form that into 6mm brass, how do I go about it? I have experience converting 223 brass to 300 BLK. Is it similar? For that I just cut down the case and ran it through the 300 BLK die. Would I just run the 30-06 though a 6mm die? RCBS sells something called a Case Forming Die Set which is specifically for this but the cost is, shall I say, prohibitive. Do I really need that?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...-die-set-6mm-remington-from-30-06-springfield

I have a ton of 30-06. If I want to form that into 6mm brass, how do I go about it? I have experience converting 223 brass to 300 BLK. Is it similar? For that I just cut down the case and ran it through the 300 BLK die. Would I just run the 30-06 though a 6mm die? RCBS sells something called a Case Forming Die Set which is specifically for this but the cost is, shall I say, prohibitive. Do I really need that?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...-die-set-6mm-remington-from-30-06-springfield

I don't have any direct experience with forming 06 into 6mm, but run a few pieces and see what you get. It will take a whole bunch of damaged brass to get to $332.99
Even if you have to ream the necks a bit, I think you'll do just fine.

I've formed 7x57 Mauser from 30'06 ages ago,ran '06 brass thru a file and trim die cut off the excess file flush and beburred. 6 mm Remington cases made from '06 cases will probably need neck reaming. 6 mm could be formed from 30'06,280 Remington,270 and 25'06 to name a few cases.

Well, so far I can tell you this: You can't just trim a little off them 30-06 and run it through the sizing die :)

What does reaming the neck mean? I saw this on another site regarding converting brass. I am not familiar with the process or how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind - turns out I know how to Google.

So I understand what neck reaming is, but what does it accomplish here? Would it just make the brass thinner and able to be re-sized to a smaller diameter neck?

Some brass formed from something else may need some trimming as the case wall thickness may be too thick. You may have good tension to seat the bullet, but the neck O.D. might be too large and bind in the chamber. Reducing this dimension by reaming may be the solution. I'm not sure if you'll have this situation forming .30-06 into 6mm Remington, of course. You'll find out.

Thanks - appreciate the feedback. Loving the caliber so far, but brass is definitely a problem, so I'll keep working it out.

Yesterday I shot a .63" group at 100 yards with factory ammo and a really cheap scope. I can't wait to see what it will do with dialed in handloads and a nice scope.

I'm still looking for my 6mm gun.........I hope these will work in it someday.

Sounds like you are doing well at the range......Hurry up with that glass

[

Tried my first handloads in it this morning - shot several 1/2 MOA groups with both 75gr VMAX and 85gr Sierra HPBT (still testing powders and loads to find the best). And that's off a really crap benchrest and me not having any idea what I'm doing :) I am really impressed by this gun!

Back
Top Bottom