Newbie questions

So I decided I want to get into hunting. The only problem is I don't know the slightest thing about hunting. I haves class A LTC, I am assuming I would need a hunting liscence. I don't know if there are differnt types or what the differnt seasons are.
Next I think I would want to hunt some birds feasants ducks to start and later move on to bigger game like deer. So what kid of equiptment would I need? What type game would be good to hunt for newbies.
Lastly I live in Somerville and drive a mini Cooper. So driving up mountains won't work. Where should I go hunting?

Thanks for any advice.

And how are you planning on getting Bambi home once you shoot it and gut it? Think the neighbors are going to like having a deer hung off the back porch?

And how are you planning on getting Bambi home once you shoot it and gut it? Think the neighbors are going to like having a deer hung off the back porch?

You can fit quite a few ducks in a mini cooper. There are other animals in MA. There not all deer.

So I decided I want to get into hunting. The only problem is I don't know the slightest thing about hunting. I haves class A LTC, I am assuming I would need a hunting liscence. I don't know if there are differnt types or what the differnt seasons are.
Next I think I would want to hunt some birds feasants ducks to start and later move on to bigger game like deer. So what kid of equiptment would I need? What type game would be good to hunt for newbies.
Lastly I live in Somerville and drive a mini Cooper. So driving up mountains won't work. Where should I go hunting?

Thanks for any advice.

Start reading here: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/abstracts.htm

and here: http://www.wildnh.com/Hunting/hunting.htm

You'll need to take a 2 day hunter safety class (or NH has a 1 day + home study option).

Equipment really depends on what you want to hunt and varies widely. Read the abstracts carefully as there are caliber restrictions that vary with season and time of day. There's lots of options from bullfrog to squirrel to rabbit to coyotte to deer.

Start small. Walk the woods for squirrels and chipmunks. Or better yet, think crows! Nothing to gut or take home. Very long season.

Back
Top Bottom