Newbie to hunting

smokingbarrel

NES Member
Hello fellas,
I'm new to hunting and looking for some advice on hunting Harlod Parker this upcoming bow season. I have been doing my research online on where I can hunt and have even done a few drivebys scoping out the area. So according to the map the only area that can be hunting on is the green j shaped area? If so where are you allowed to park with that area being so populated with homes.

Yeah I have heard how madly packed and insane its get but it's so close to home that I can go out in the morning and be back in time for work.

I'll take any advice as well

Screenshot_20180718-212031_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't hunt Harold Parker. But you might want to check in at the ranger station and ask a few questions. I could be wrong but to me that looks like the only part that can't be hunted west of Jenkins.

I don't hunt Harold Parker. But you might want to check in at the ranger station and ask a few questions. I could be wrong but to me that looks like the only part that can't be hunted west of Jenkins.

I went over yesterday to ask some question but place was locked no one around either going to try and give them a call see if anyone answers

The wildlands viewer just shows the property, doesn't define where you can and can't hunt. Once you identify the land you need to do the additional research to figure out if its huntable or not.

Harold Parker gets slammed during shotgun season... I'm talking you get setup before dawn and then the sun comes up and you see like 10 ppl set up within 100 yards of you. People usually park right on Harold Parker RD off of rt 114, the land on either side is huntable for some distance. Just be aware that Andover sporstmens club is in there and you could end up at the back of a firing range!

So talked to the rangers and they said use the trail map it shows you the area you can and can not hunt x-force hunter has the link on his comment above to view the pdf file. They did say no hunting directly behind the headquarters. Thanks for the help fellas and feel free to continue to leave me tips I'll take anything.

So talked to the rangers and they said use the trail map it shows you the area you can and can not hunt x-force hunter has the link on his comment above to view the pdf file. They did say no hunting directly behind the headquarters. Thanks for the help fellas and feel free to continue to leave me tips I'll take anything.
Get in the woods EARLY. Set up and be patient.....when the lazy guys that show up after their morning Dunkin run and push inro the woods they'll get the deer moving around....sometimes driving them right to you.

Are you allowed to CCW while bowhunting or hunting in general or even walking in the woods? I had heard no then yes but cant find nothing supporting either side

From the abstracts:
A firearms license (FID or LTC card) is not required for bowhunting. Archers shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs while hunting deer. (See deer regulations) Archers may hunt with a bow and arrow during the shotgun and primitive firearms deer seasons, but must comply with all regulations of those seasons, including the hunter orange and Primitive Firearms Stamp requirements. Crossbows may be used by certain permanently disabled persons by permit only. For regulations and an application, visit mass.gov/masswildlife or contact MassWildlife at (508) 389-6300.
General Hunting Regulations | eRegulations

Have you taken the hunter safety course yet?

Bob

From the abstracts:
A firearms license (FID or LTC card) is not required for bowhunting. Archers shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs while hunting deer. (See deer regulations) Archers may hunt with a bow and arrow during the shotgun and primitive firearms deer seasons, but must comply with all regulations of those seasons, including the hunter orange and Primitive Firearms Stamp requirements. Crossbows may be used by certain permanently disabled persons by permit only. For regulations and an application, visit mass.gov/masswildlife or contact MassWildlife at (508) 389-6300.

Bob

If questioned, you were coyote hunting.......

From the abstracts:

Bob

Yes that's where I heard you cant from the class. But I heard through a grapevine that it has changed and you can now I just wanted to see if anyone else here has heard the same.

Every EPO I've spoke to says no concealed carry during deer season. Especially during archery or black powder! If a handgun is not a legal means of take for what you're hunting probably best to not have it on you.

Back
Top Bottom