Fishing newbie

kalash

NES Member
Somehow I've never gone fishing, despite always wanting to. This year I decided to actually make it happen and I'm looking at gear. So...

Looks like the most popular freshwater catch in MA is trout so I guess that's my primary target (to start). I was looking at a telescopic spinning rod/reel combo - good idea or bad idea? I'd rather sit on the shore than stand in the middle of a river so fly fishing probably isn't for me (generally speaking), right? I'm basically looking for the Glock 19 of fishing rods - jack of all trades, even if it's not a master of any of them; a solid go-to for a beginner.

I'm glad you posted this. I haven't fished since I was a kid (many moons ago) and I have no idea where to begin either and my kids are asking about it so thanks for your post.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I started a few years ago, when my kids started scouts... got an Ugly Stik with a Shakespeare spinning reel for about $40, a tackle box for around $10, then start filling it up.. hooks, bobbers, sinkers, rubber worms.. multi-tool is useful to keep in there too.. as well as some basic first aid stuff.. bandaids, antibacterial cream.. etc..

and expect to catch a lot more panfish than trout or bass.. at least that's my experience..

I need to get out more.. it's quite relaxing for me.

oh yeah.. don't forget that permission fee to MassDFW...

Last edited:
If you just want to throw a line in and catch something (keeps young children entertained and busy), I'd recommend going for sunfish. A hook, split shot weight, bobber and a worm is all you'd really need.

Most ponds have sunfish.

Maybe it's better in MA but in most fairly populated areas in CT it seems like trout fishing consists of everyone and their brother standing along stream and river banks cleaning out the fish the state just stocked within 2-3 weeks.

Very little if any native trout left and what they call native now is just a handful of leftover stocked trout that managed to not get caught last year. Maybe that doesn't matter but for some reason it takes something away for me.

I will go trout fishing once in a blue moon, I just prefer bass fishing. I prefer sitting in my canoe on a pond or lake with my buddy or my daughter where I can paddle to my own spot away from others, crack open a beer and relax in peace. If the bugs come I may light up a cigar. I don't smoke at all but I'll puff on a cigar to keep bugs away.

For Bass I'm a big fan of rubber worms Texas rigged (weedless) or the occasional floating lure like a Rapalla minnow or perch or even a large spoon (Mepps or Daredevil type). Been doing well with Berkley Power Bait rubber worms lately, curly tail motor oil color.

When I do hit a stream I just stick with small spoons like Phoebe or Colorado or maybe mealie worms on a short lead from a small bobber that I let drift in the current.

You don't need to spend a fortune whichever fish you decide to go for. A $30-$40 combo rod/reel is fine with a small tackle box and a few things like have been mentioned.

Some bass me and my daughter caught in ponds/lakes in our town last year.

Carl's big bass.jpg

Carl's bass.jpg

Emily's delicious bass.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Carl, those look great! I've never been a water guy so my preference would be fishing from the shore.

Trout fishing is a spring/fall thing, IMHO. I've always felt like they like cooler water and tend to go deep during summer months in most ponds. The exception are streams like the Swift.

Most of the summer fishing I do is looking for Bass. Rubber worms work great. I also like to throw Heddon Torpedoes (Tiny). I've been playing with Storm WildEye Swim Shad lately and have had good luck.

I'd skip the telescoping setup in favor of a more "traditional" rod and reel. I've snapped four telescoping rods or had them jam. If you're concerned about size, I keep a 5' ultra light spinning rod in my car and pull it out when the urge strikes. Shakespeare makes a good one for less than $20. It breaks down into two short sections.

don't forget in Mass. you need permission for everything so get you fishing license before you go.

Yo Kalash...pro tip: try fishing the pond at Hopkinton Sportsman's Club...it's catch and release, but you'd be shocked at the size of the fish in that place.... Yeah, yeah...just don't cast OVER it! [rofl]

Just got back from fishing out back. Had a great day. Send a PM if you would like. I fish trout to tuna. All on spinning gear.

When I did more stream fishing I really liked having hip waders. I got a cheap rubber pair and they began to leak after 1 or 2 seasons but they sure made it easier to cast by allowing me to walk out into the stream a bit and away from the trees/bushes on shore.

Get a $30 rod reel combo from Walmart. Pen, Ugly Stick, Zebco whatever. I'm a life long fisherman and it's all I have ever used. They catch just as good as the $500 custom jobs.

The best way to catch trout is with a worm and a bobber, but prefer to use small spinners.

You can find a pack of spinners at Walmart also specifically for trout.

Don't sweat what color to use, just try them all and see what works

Ditto on the Shakespeare Ugly Stick. It's a good rod, and not expensive. Avoid telescoping rods, as they tend to cast poorly and break easily. A spinning reel is a solid, all-purpose choice. Shimano makes some nice ones. In MA, you can fish from the shore for bass pretty much everywhere. For artificial lures, I've had the best luck with Mann's jelly worms. Don't skimp on the fishing line. I like Trilene or Stren.

Learn to tie some good knots to keep the hook/lure on. Monofilament line will pull right out of a "normal" knot, no matter how tight you think you've tied it!

Any thoughts on baitcaster reels?? I'm thinking about getting one of those this year for the first time (have a spinner reel now). This is the first year I plan to go fishing in more than a few.

Any thoughts on baitcaster reels?? I'm thinking about getting one of those this year for the first time (have a spinner reel now). This is the first year I plan to go fishing in more than a few.

Practice Practice Practice.....Bait casting reels are great and all I use by the way, but.....they like to backlash which loosely translated means the spool turns into a tangled mess that cannot be undone. They need to have the friction on the reel correctly adjusted for the weight of the lure and you still need a follow through on your cast to prevent the backlash. All that said your not a true fisherman till you have had your day ruined by one of these reels!
http://goneoutdoors.com/cast-baitcasting-reel-backlash-4682215.html
Backlash.jpg

I think the reason I want a baitcaster is my father had one. Might end up at either Bass Pro or KTP during the coming long weekend (long for me since I'm taking Thursday and Friday off [wink]).

Oh yeah as qqac said, definitely get some decent line or you will be losing lures and hooks all the time. I like Stren clear blue, but any quality line will do. It's not expensive and will save you money on lost lures.

For trout fishing, get 3 or 4 lb test line. You can go lighter, but will snap the line if you get snagged on something. Any heavier and it won't cast as far with the light trout lures

Last edited:
Learn to crimp the barb on your hooks as well as sharpen them, they will come out easier from your flesh when it happens.

Learn to tie some good knots to keep the hook/lure on. Monofilament line will pull right out of a "normal" knot, no matter how tight you think you've tied it!
Learn the Palomar. It's the best knot I learned. Easy to tie and can be used on everything from a work hook to a stick bait to a fly fishing streamer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me what a bait caster reel is? When I was a kid we referred to our real's as open faced and closed faced.

all a baitcaster reel is ... is a big pain in the ass.. ( I only say it because I don't know how to use one properly :) )

as stated before.. Good inexpensive setup is an Ugly Stix spinning Combo (though there are many solid inexpensive options). I run ugly sticks on both my primary setups.. I generally bring two poles with me . I have one rod set up with me for live bait and the other I use to cast . I know that there are MANY more with more knowledge than I but feel free to PM for any more info.

Can someone tell me what a bait caster reel is? When I was a kid we referred to our real's as open faced and closed faced.

Your next question will be "what's a birdsnest"? Lol, you'll find out quick. I love them but they take practice.
40e07997efa174e12edb4eac35765cb8.jpg
09f099bafff470cc648a2ad6ec510816.jpg
613f11fa9f686cee435d4bae6a237498.jpg

Get a pocket fisherman and don't look back. A push button is a great way for a noob to get it going.

Get a pocket fisherman and don't look back. A push button is a great way for a noob to get it going.
Zebco push button reels are great for getting started.

And some "professional" crappie anglers use them. They're pretty bullet proof.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

don't forget in Mass. you need permission for everything so get you fishing license before you go.

Well......that "permission slip" pays for the stocked trout kalash says he will be fishing for. They aren't free.

And it's not a mass thing......you need a license to fish in NH ME VT and probably every other state as well. So don't start that bullshit!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Might pick up an Ugly Stik now.

Well......that "permission slip" pays for the stocked trout kalash says he will be fishing for. They aren't free.

And it's not a mass thing......you need a license to fish in NH ME VT and probably every other state as well. So don't start that bullshit!
Between the rod, reel, tackle, license, etc I can probably have a fish in my hands for under $100. It's stupid cheap compared to shooting.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you have never been fishing. Until I found out what tits where all I thought about was fishing.

Have fun.

Thanks guys! Might pick up an Ugly Stik now.

Between the rod, reel, tackle, license, etc I can probably have a fish in my hands for under $100. It's stupid cheap compared to shooting.

Yup, $100 will get you going for a good while.

Bring a pocket knife, preferably something with small scissors or a Leatherman tool is good too.

I like to use snap swivels on my line so I can quickly and easily change lures. Some purists don't like them because they add weight or something. I don't fish without them. Get smaller lighter ones if fishing with light tackle for trout, get bigger heavier ones if fishing for Bass or any larger fish. You may be able to find a variety pack of several sizes.

I use ones like these only in black (color probably doesn't matter much) but any style will do.

I love these things too for around $12. They save your fingers if you catch a pickerel. They are also handy for a fish with a smaller mouth (like a trout) if it gets the hook down deep in it's mouth or throat. I call these "Pickerel Pickers". Long nose pliers work good too if you already have some of those, Leatherman might also work.

If fishing streams/rivers you may not get many pickerel but they are all over the ponds/lakes. They can have sharp teeth, they are extra slimey and they thrash around more than most fish so they are a pain to grab and hold so getting hooks out of them can be a pain without a tool. They also have a habit of swallowing lures (they are fairly aggressive).

Pickerel teeth.

Back
Top Bottom