• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New York Bill Would Make It First State to Ban Bulletproof Vests

Reptile

NES Member
A New York lawmaker is attempting to seize body armor from civilians and would make it illegal to buy the protective gear in the state.

The bill from assemblymember Jonathan G. Jacobson (D.) would outlaw the sale and possession of body armor in the state of New York. The bill would require residents who own a bulletproof vest to turn them over to police within 15 days of the bill becoming law. It would make New York the first state to ban the purchase or possession of bulletproof vests for law-abiding residents.

New York already has a ban on the use of bulletproof vests while carrying out "any violent felony offense," but Jacobson's proposal would go beyond criminal use of the vests. New York has traditionally been at the forefront of efforts to restrict guns and associated accessories. If Jacobson's bill passes, it could be the start of a trend across other blue states to target the protective items even outside their use in any specific crime.

Second Amendment advocates have already begun to speak out against the law. The Firearms Policy Coalition created the website BodyArmorBan.com in order to mobilize against the proposal. The group said in a message on the site that Jacobson's bill "deprives New Yorkers of their right to passive defense by instituting a confiscatory ban on body armor."

The Firearms Policy Coalition noted the bill provides an exception for police officers and questioned why normal citizens should not be allowed the same protections.

"As is tradition, police are exempt from this new restraint on the right to keep and bear arms," the group said on its website.

Jacobson's office did not respond to a request for comment.

The bill, prefiled on Jan. 6, allows the New York secretary of state to make further exceptions but does not specifically exempt any group beyond police. Julio Rosas, a senior writer for Townhall.com who covered the violent riot at the Capitol as well as those throughout the country this summer, said the bill could be harmful to journalists who utilize bulletproof vests while doing their job.

I wonder if they will ban ownership of vests by politicians.

What's next bullet proof pants? You got to protect the next generation
If you want to protect the next generation you need this:

0a1d01_e1a42213d5a849618bd8adab77ecda22~mv2_d_2400_2400_s_4_2.jpeg

Serious question:

If I wore this around town, would that make me unsuitable for my LTC?

I know I have the right to wear tactical kit like a plate carrier and helmet but I'm afraid this would be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as suitability.

All gun control, apply it to law enforcement and military. If not, you better make the case in front of the general public why their lives are more important than yours
Absolutely! When my wife and I purchased our vacation/retirement home in Florida, we noticed that every police vehicle and sheriff's vehicle had a double mount gun rack that contained either an AR15 or M16 (couldn't see the fire selector on the rifles) with bayo lug, flash suppressor and 30 round mag. The same "assault weapons" they want banned from possession by us peons. Next to it was a Remington 870 with full length mag tube. If our liberal lawmakers want to remove these "weapons of war" from our streets, that would be a good place to start.

Never mind the second amendment, where does .gov get the idea that they can ban an article of clothing? I mean why stop at bullet proof vests? Why not make everyone wear a BLM shirt when leaving the house?

By the way is anyone getting sick of cop carevouts of laws? Make the police unions happy by exempting cops from everything?

I've been wanting to play around with making home made ceramics, maybe nows the time to test some stuff

Never mind the second amendment, where does .gov get the idea that they can ban an article of clothing? I mean why stop at bullet proof vests? Why not make everyone wear a BLM shirt when leaving the house?
Some designers introduced bullet resistant clothing after the murder of John Lennon and the attempted assassinations of Ronald Reagan and the Pope in less than a year. Nervous celebrities were apparently the intended market.

Next is requiring the wearing of light colored clothing after dark to make it easier for government agents to get a clear sight picture if you need to be shot.

Oh stop. We're 20 years from us all wearing orange jumpsuits 24/7 anyhow. I'm sure our AI overlords will be happy to run our prison farms where everyone is kept.

Whoever is pushing for this: Cite any examples of civilian use of body armor that was not incidental to a felony that prompts the need for this new bill. You already have the law saying it is unlawful to wear body armor while committing a crime, so what is the point of this bill? If someone is wearing it and not committing any crimes, what's the problem?

By the way is anyone getting sick of cop carevouts of laws? Make the police unions happy by exempting cops from everything?
democrats want power and control over citizens

Seems they have big issues enforcing current laws on the books!
Never mind adding to the list of laws that apparently no longer apply to criminals.
Maybe we can ban airbags and safety warnings for cars while we are at it.

Whoever is pushing for this: Cite any examples of civilian use of body armor that was not incidental to a felony that prompts the need for this new bill. You already have the law saying it is unlawful to wear body armor while committing a crime, so what is the point of this bill? If someone is wearing it and not committing any crimes, what's the problem?
Not defending this nonsense bill but an example is the fully armored up bank robbery/police shootout in CA years back. With what we know now maybe it was faked. There was video out there haven't seen it in years.

Not defending this nonsense bill but an example is the fully armored up bank robbery/police shootout in CA years back. With what we know now maybe it was faked. There was video out there haven't seen it in years.

Yeah, but that was my point. Per the article "New York already has a ban on the use of bulletproof vests while carrying out "any violent felony offense,"

So if that ban is already in place, what sense does this next step make?

Yeah, but that was my point. Per the article "New York already has a ban on the use of bulletproof vests while carrying out "any violent felony offense,"

So if that ban is already in place, what sense does this next step make?
Well you see if your target has better armor and bigger guns than you lol... it makes raiding those house difficult.....

Right after SH, they started marketing all kinds of bullet resistant/proof items to protect the children - vests, jackets, blankets, backpacks etc.

I say we claim they are putting our kids at risk with this propsal.

I got an email from AR500armor.com alerting me to this. Since I don't live in the People's Republic of New York, I honestly don't give a f***. It is past the time from freedom loving New Yorkers to relocate to freer states.

Back
Top Bottom