New to hunting, need advice

I am taking my hunting education class tomorrow, and will finally be able to enter the world of hunting. However, I live in an apartment in the city. For a variety of reasons, hunting larger game like deer is pretty much out of the question.

But I have the following questions:

1. What type of smaller, varmint-or waterfowl-type game can I hunt around MA and bordering states.

2. Where can I go to hunt this game?

Clarifications: I live in the Boston area and I have .223 and .22LR rifles and a 12 gauge shotgun to hunt with.

Last edited:
Brds, birds, birds,,,,,,

Upland:

Pheasant, grouse, woodcock, etc. It can be done without a dog, but significantly lower success. Start on any WMA.

Waterfowl:

Ducks and geese.

WMA's again. Or any marshland, river, pond, swamp, or fields that are open to hunting.

There are also rabbit, fox, coyote, etc.

Good luck!!!

I am taking my hunting education class tomorrow, and will finally be able to enter the world of hunting. However, I live in an apartment in the city. For a variety of reasons, hunting larger game like deer is pretty much out of the question.

But I have the following questions:

1. What type of smaller, varmint-or waterfowl-type game can I hunt around MA and bordering states.

2. Where can I go to hunt this game?

1. Rabbits, squirrel , duck, goose, grouse, crow, turkey, woodcock, pheasant, coyote, chipmunk, sparrow,starling, to name a few

2. where do you live?

keep in mind that some game requires additional stamps/licenses to hunt. Some even require you to put a sticker on your gun to remind you not to shoot your friend.

I'm uncertain about in your area, but you could still hunt deer - apartment or not. One of our customers at DSG lives in a small apartment and got a 9-point deer. He took it from the field to a game processor and for a small fee, filled his freezer....

To add to my post above.........

First, as I'm sure your course will explain, be intimately familiar with all the rules and regs:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Here's where you can find info about WMA's:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/wma/wma_maps.htm

and Pheasant stocking areas:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/pheasant/pheasant_stocking_areas.htm

Plus, you can always arrange a trip to a preserve. There are quite a few within a few hours drive, and most operate 365 days a year. It is a very good way to expose new hunters, (and dogs!!) to more birds in a day than one will typically see in a month of hunting.

As for Ducks and Geese, make sure you know about the Migratory bird regs:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/migratory_bird_regs.pdf

Depending on where you live, the duck and goose season is still open for awhile.

I would also advise spending the winter shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays. A lot. Nothing more frustrating than getting up at 0 dark thirty and hunting hard all day. Then near the end of the day, you finally put up that rooster,,,,,, and MISS! Makes you wish you had spent some time at the range real quick.

Also, I wouldn't rule out deer just because you live in an apartment. If you are worried about bringing the carcass home, you could easily arrange with a butcher to take the deer directly to them. Or, you could arrange to hang the deer at someone's house until you could get it to a butcher. I'm sure there are members here that wouldn't mind that. Me included :)

Good luck!

I'm uncertain about in your area, but you could still hunt deer - apartment or not. One of our customers at DSG lives in a small apartment and got a 9-point deer. He took it from the field to a game processor and for a small fee, filled his freezer....

Are there any processors around the Greater Boston area? That would be a practical solution, if I can take it in after field stripping.

Back
Top Bottom