New to Competition shooting

I am interested in getting into competition shooting. Mostly for pistol but I think with my current weapons collection I'd be better off starting off in rifle. Not that it matters because I'm interested in both...but anyway...

What would those of you who've been doing it for a while suggest for somebody just starting out? Also, by "just starting out", I mean:
1) I don't have any competition grade weapons and
2) I'm not a current member of any clubs. ( I do most of my shooting at the "free" range in Byfield)

So I would basically be starting from scratch. I'm going to assume that for pistols, I should look into a 1911. That seams to be the preferred choice from some of the things I've seen.

Any ideas or tips would be helpful.

Thanks

I have no idea where Byfield is. Give me an area, and I can probably get you someone to help.

If you ever travel to Cape Cod, contact me by e mail (in my profile) I will gladly spend time with you with some different types of firearms and targets to give you an idea what it entails.

As for starting with a 1911, maybe, maybe not. It depends on your level of comfort with that firearm.

There are divisions in USPSA and IDPA for just about any type of carry gun so start small, get comfortable, then decide if you want to continue.

Edit to add:

Looks like the Harvard Sportsmen Club would not be too far for you. My answer was toward Action Pistol, but they have a lot going on at that club. For action pistol info send a PM to Dan Hurley on this forum.

Regards,

Last edited:
What kinda pistol do you have?
as RGS said there is a class for just about every pistol 9mm and above for USPSA and IDPA, Come out to the Harvard club on a wednesday night, there is a USPSA practice once a week and IDPA every other.

All you need is a holster and safe gun handling

Don't know alot about Blueye shooting, but I'm sure someone will chime in about that

What kinda pistol do you have?
as RGS said there is a class for just about every pistol 9mm and above for USPSA and IDPA, Come out to the Harvard club on a wednesday night, there is a USPSA practice once a week and IDPA every other.

All you need is a holster and safe gun handling

Don't know alot about Blueye shooting, but I'm sure someone will chime in about that

Don't forget, action pistol isn't the only game in town. There's also a steel plate match of some sort almost every weekend too. You don't need nearly as much gear to shoot those. Not sure where you are located, but the Independent Sportsmens club in Foxboro tends to do a nice job of blending USPSA and steel in what they call their action pistol matches. You don't "have" to have a holster to participate. I think Paul R. also runs a good beginner program their if I'm not mistaking.
-Cuz.

starting out

Your not too far from Haverhill. Check out our website HHRG.org. We will be starting our indoor 22 bullseye league Oct 16. Matches are on Tuesday nights they start about 6:30 pm. You don't need to be a member to shoot in the league or any other web published matches. This is an informal, low key, handicapped league. I started in this league and have made a lot of friends and have a great time!!
The club also sponsors a team that travels to other clubs on Friday evenings to shoot 22 rifle indoor matches. If you have an interest, you can email me and I'll meet you.

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer some questions:

The guns I would likely use are: Sig 239 in 357Sig, HK USP40 and Beretta 92F all of which are stock except for an aftermarket grip. I live on the north shore (near Salem, MA). I like action and steel plates best (as opposed to bullseye) I think it's the speed of it that I enjoy.

I'll check out the clubs you folks have mentioned (as well as schedules) and probably start PM'ing as soon as I decide on one. Heck, I may check out them all if I can.

I'll check out the clubs you folks have mentioned (as well as schedules) and probably start PM'ing as soon as I decide on one. Heck, I may check out them all if I can.

I'd stongly encourage you to check out Harvard like others have suggested- it's got plenty to offer for sure. Like Supermoto said- it offers both IDPA and USPSA for lots of great shooting.

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer some questions:

The guns I would likely use are: Sig 239 in 357Sig, HK USP40 and Beretta 92F all of which are stock except for an aftermarket grip.

Any of those pistols would work just fine for action pistol or steel plates. Although, the 357Sig ammo may be a bit costly. You will want to have at least 4 mags for one of the guns to start. You can build up from there, and I'm sure you could pick up a cheap holster to get you started.

Any of those pistols would work just fine for action pistol or steel plates.

And just to follow up a bit, though it doesn't look like you're headed down the Bullseye route, at least not now . . . None of them would be suitable for Bullseye, where the emphasis is on precision and accuracy and you need to wring the most accuracy possible out of the gun.

Most Bullseye is what's called "gallery" competition, which is .22 rimfire, usually .22LR. Guns most commonly seen on the line are Walther, Pardini, Hammerli (all cost well into 4 figures), Mod. 41 S&W, and Rugers. The latter is probably the least expensive gun that you can be competitive with and some excellent scores are shot with them (usually after some modifications that run the cost up a little).

Full Bullseye competition adds a match with "any centerfire" and also .45 (i.e., 1911 style) pistol. Most of the .45s used have been heavily worked over by specialty gunsmiths and can really run into some serious change. Many competitors also use their .45 for the "any centerfire" stage - others have a smaller lighter-recoiling gun (often .32 S&W Long, or .38 Special) set up for that stage.

I should add that if you do happen to be interested in B/E competition, please email me for more info. I shoot in two winter leagues (matches are one day a week in the evening) and we're always looking for new shooters.

Last edited:
Do a google search on Shooting Sports USA and click on coming events. You can check out all the NRA competition in the area by dicipline and state. I'm sure that USPSA and IDPA have somthing simmilar.

B

I agree with the others- Harvard is one of my favorite places to shoot matches (USPSA). Two other clubs that I go to are my local club, MA Rifle in Woburn, and Mystic Valley in Malden.

MA Rifle has acton shooting matches twice a month (every other Sun). We shoot steel plates, bowling pins, ICORE, and bowling pins with rifle, bowling pins with shotgun, and static steel. Our matches are casual and fun... Like shooting darts just better!
MRA's Sept to April action shooting schedule should be up shortly on their forum. www.massrifleforums.com

Mystic will be having informal action pistol events on friday nights this fall / winter. Kind of a mix of steel plates and / or small USPSA stages. Occasionally Dave will decide to throw in a PPC match on us too.

Any of the guns firearms you mentioned would be fine for the matches. But for ICORE matches you need a round gun. There are also a lot of guys willing to help out new shooters. Check it out!

So Snapshot,
What have you done? Did you go watch some shooting or shoot a little yourself?

Respectfully,

jkelly

So Snapshot,
What have you done?

Unfortunately, shortly after making this post, a client who had been MIA for a month has just popped back into my life again looking for some help with her web sites. So I’ve had little time for much of anything else. I’m still very interested. Just that it may be put on the back burner until this project is done.

Back
Top Bottom