• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Sig Bolt Rifle

I don't get it. If you want a modern hunting rifle in a caliber bigger than .223, why not get an AR10? The main "advantage" of going with a bolt action is to have something sleek and snag-free in the brush. That doesn't look snag-free.

Edit: I'm guessing this isn't intended "for us." If your style of hunting is to set up in one spot and take triple digit length shots, then this is fine.

Modernized bolt action with folding stock, aluminum receiver, 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. So it's basically The Fix but with "Sig" instead of "Q" stamped on it and .1 pound heavier. They probably saw a competitive opportunity in Q's $3300 price and 288-day backorder. Nice business move. Look forward to seeing how performance compares.

Sig.jpg Q.jpg

I don't get it. If you want a modern hunting rifle in a caliber bigger than .223, why not get an AR10? The main "advantage" of going with a bolt action is to have something sleek and snag-free in the brush. That doesn't look snag-free.

Edit: I'm guessing this isn't intended "for us." If your style of hunting is to set up in one spot and take triple digit length shots, then this is fine.
I thought the main appeal of bolt action was the tighter lockup and resulting accuracy? I don't even own a hunting rifle but it's on my short list for the future.

Last edited:
Modernized bolt action with folding stock, aluminum receiver, 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, weighing 6.5. So it's basically The Fix but with "Sig" instead of "Q" stamped on it and .1 pound heavier. They probably saw a competitive opportunity in Q's $3300 price and 288-day backorder. Nice business move. Look forward to seeing how performance compares.

I thought the main appeal of bolt action was the tighter lockup and resulting accuracy? I don't even own a hunting rifle but it's on my short list for the future.

Well two things:

1) The AR10 platform is accurate enough to be true sniper rifles, like the SR-25 and the M110; and
2) Is the typical hunter a good enough shot to see a difference?

In New England, most hunting shots for medium and large game like deer and moose are under fifty yards. So this gun's potential accuracy would largely be wasted if looking for Swamp Donkeys in Maine or deer in the thick SNE brush. A hyper-accurate gun isn't really necessary around here. What is necessary is something that's not going to drag half a shrub around with you. A folding stock, MLOK handguard, and exposed parts are great places for twigs and briars to get caught and accumulate.

Probably the two most effective New England hunting rifles would be something like the Savage 110, with a blind mag, and the Remington 742. Every gun shop up north has a 742 (or more) for sale.

Like I said, this is probably something that'd be in more demand in places like Texas or Colorado where taking 400+ yard shots are expected.

in typical sig fashion, way too much handguard for a precision rifle. the rifle is whatever who cares just a “me too”. sig fanboys will buy the rest of us will giggle at them.

the 277 fury looks like a 270 PRC basically a magnumized 270 win. mag compatibility w AICS will be helpful. the brass appears to be two separates pieces case head separate from body. apparently it offers some advantages although not sure if for average reloader this is worthwhile. in all likelihood the cartridge will be buried alongside every other wizzbang precision cartridge from past decade. the 6.5 CM just checks like every box for long range work including pleasant to shoot...if i were a mfr i wouldnt waste time trying to out-do it.

I like SIGs a lot, but this one makes not much sense to me. Either I want to take really long shots, then shortening the barrel isn't a great idea, or I want to hunt and take a closer shot, then I don't need the super duper adjustable stock. The average 6.5 CM hunting rifle has a 24" barrel. That's 8 inches difference, which means a lot of velocity gets lost, which in turn is the actual point of the cartridge.
And introducing yet another cartridge? Never heard of the .277 fury, but it'll probably go the way of the Wilson HAMR.

I like my Sigs, but this seems like a solution in search of a problem. Then again, I hunt with a .30-06, and could never justify a 2nd hunting rifle, never mind one in such an esoteric caliber.

I like SIGs a lot, but this one makes not much sense to me. Either I want to take really long shots, then shortening the barrel isn't a great idea, or I want to hunt and take a closer shot, then I don't need the super duper adjustable stock. The average 6.5 CM hunting rifle has a 24" barrel. That's 8 inches difference, which means a lot of velocity gets lost, which in turn is the actual point of the cartridge.
And introducing yet another cartridge? Never heard of the .277 fury, but it'll probably go the way of the Wilson HAMR.

I'll be over here waiting for a Glock 9mm bolt action 😤😤😤😤😤

in typical sig fashion, way too much handguard for a precision rifle. the rifle is whatever who cares just a “me too”. sig fanboys will buy the rest of us will giggle at them.

the 277 fury looks like a 270 PRC basically a magnumized 270 win. mag compatibility w AICS will be helpful. the brass appears to be two separates pieces case head separate from body. apparently it offers some advantages although not sure if for average reloader this is worthwhile. in all likelihood the cartridge will be buried alongside every other wizzbang precision cartridge from past decade. the 6.5 CM just checks like every box for long range work including pleasant to shoot...if i were a mfr i wouldnt waste time trying to out-do it.

I don't know if this means anything to longevity or popularity, but this 277 fury was designed for the military. Reportedly achieving 3,000fps through a 16" barrel. That's impressive, and possibly reason for another round design. However, same article mentioned 3 piece case design. I'm sure that isn't going to be cheap.

I’ve got an AR-10. It’s big and heavy. Not what I would want to carry up and down hills. Can’t say I would use that SIG rifle for any hunting other than maybe a varmint rifle.

I’ve got an AR-10. It’s big and heavy. Not what I would want to carry up and down hills. Can’t say I would use that SIG rifle for any hunting other than maybe a varmint rifle.

Someone could build a lightweight AR10, though.

if this 277 fury cartridge is pushing a 6.8mm projectile at 3000 ft/s out of a 16" barrel it's got to be using insane high pressures or Sig is playing games with a very light bullet. googling i couldn't get an answer on this. for long range work muzzle velocity is not the strategy, it's sectional density. however there's no way a 6.8mm will achieve the same sectional density as a 6.5" while still getting good velocities over like 2700 ft/s. projectile options in the .260 range are far more abundant. i see this cartridge as a giant turd and another marketing ploy by sig. their stupid bolt gun will probably come with a fancy coin.

Remember an ER doc saying what a patient really needed was high-velocity transcortical lead therapy. Took me a moment.

that's a quote from Spirit Catches you and you fall down, which was a fairly stupid book

Last edited:
pretty sure the marketing department is looking ahead several years...you're looking at the civilian ar replacement rifle. someone had to say it. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom