New shotgunner here...needs advice

Hey everyone,

I picked up a Remington 1100 at Marlboro this weekend, and I need advice. First of all, is this a good all-around gun? I'm looking to shoot trap and skeet, and also hunt with it...is it suitable for all these purposes? Second of all, what chokes do you suggest I buy? My gun didn't come with any...

Thanks!

As for what chokes to use for hunting,,,,it depends.

For Turkey you will want full or extra full.
For Pheasant, I'd say improved or modified.
For Waterfowl, Full

For Deer, you can get a cylinder and use either buckshot or rifled slugs, although I would recommend getting a rifled barrel.

As for the gun itself, great choice! You can literally hunt most anything with it from squirrels on up to deer and bear and everything in between. Enjoy! [smile]

As for what chokes to use for hunting,,,,it depends.

For Waterfowl, Full

In almost all cases, Full choke and steel waterfowl loads to not mix well; mostly it's just poor patterns, sometimes barrel damage can occur (greatest risk with large shot sizes).

If you plan to shoot steel (or other hard no-tox) you are best off trying a few different loads and chokes on the patterning board. You will be amazed at how differently the various loads pattern.

In my 1100, I've no need for anything tighter than Mod shooting Federal Premium Steel. Tried a box of the new Federal Black Cloud and found they pattern so tight IC is best.

Back
Top Bottom