New Ruger SR9C

Finally got out to the range with my new Ruger SR9C. Was a little dissapointed. Gun is shooting a good 5 to 6 inches to the left at 10 yards. Was shooting Federal Champion 115gr FMJ rounds. Ran it by my gun shop and one guy asked "are you sure you are not pulling to the left?" I don't think I am that bad of a shot. I am pretty much dead on with my Ruger SR22. Is there that big a difference between shooting either weapon? Maybe I just suck with the "bigger" 9mm and need some practice. I shot about 80 rounds and tried honkering down and really concentrating on what I was doing to no better results. For my last 20 rounds I aimed about six inches to the right and that technique brought them in on center. After looking on line other users of the SR9C seem to be dead on right out of the box. What do you all think? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Your jerking the trigger, no way the gun is shooting 6" off at 10 yards. Try shooting left handed or have someone else experienced shoot the gun before making any adjustments.

Did you try shooting off a rest? Get a couple of sandbag rests and solidly plant your hand in there to minimize movement as you squeeze the trigger. This will give you a better idea whether it's you or the gun.

So I can shoot the SR22 dead on and not the SR9C? If it is me then I feel defenseless if a situation arises. I am going to try left handed then the sand bag route.

So I can shoot the SR22 dead on and not the SR9C? If it is me then I feel defenseless if a situation arises. I am going to try left handed then the sand bag route.

Not defenseless, just in need of some practice. You've been shooting the SR22 well, and you're probably anticipating the recoil of the the 9mm. While my SR9C shoot pretty soft, it's not a .22lr. You'll work it out. DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE. When you've dry fired enough........DRY FIRE SOME MORE. Get that trigger squeeze consistent and smooth, you're shooting will improve.[wink]

Right handed shooting to the left, wouldn't that be pushing the trigger? It's also not a big deal, first play with the sights with your fingers and make sure they are not loose and drifted. Then shoot from the sandbag and if you still hit left then adjust the sights, it's simple.

I just recently reintroduced myself to shooting so I am not greatest shooter. First semi auto was a SR22 and like you I was dead on with it. Later I bought an SR9c and for whatever reason I too was way off even at 10-20 yards. I thought something was wrong with the gun, I bought it used. One day at the range I asked someone to try it out. He was right on the money, that told me it was me. I have just been practicing and practicing with it and I have consistently gotten better with it. Just adjust how you are shooting it.

They are different guns - perfectly plausible (especially for a new shooter). Have someone else shoot it, if they are 6" to the left then you can blame the gun. [smile]

My sr9c out of the box shot left because the front sight was drifted. I adjusted it. I can shoot that out to 50 yards fairly accurately with my handloads

Shoot off the sandbags. This should give you an idea of what is the gun and what is you. The sites might need some adjustment, that is why they make them adjustable, but you will never know until you use a benchrest or sandbags.

I finally got to the range with my new sr9c and had a similar problem. I was out at 25yds and it was shooting about 5-6" low & left. Haven't figured out if it's me or the sights need tweaking. However, I did hear of some other sr9c owners on the net complaing about a similar thing. Not sure what to make of it.

I only had to adjust the elevation slightly on mine. Definitely worth having a more experienced shooter test it first before messing with windage as you will be compensating for potentially poor technique by adjusting the sights otherwise.

targetcorrectionright_zps139b56e7.gif

you guys having issues with them, where are you from? theres a lot of guys here with sr9c's that shoot them fine, me included. someone could surely meet up and try yours out, and maybe give some pointers. 9mm isnt a crazy recoiling round, but to the op in particular, it is much bigger than a 22, and very reasonable that youre the problem, not the gun.

Probably is me. I'm more experienced with long rifles so I'm somewhat new with pistols I will admit. I didn't find the 9mm recoil all that bad compared to my .40 cal Beretta. That said, you search Ruger forums and it's not that uncommon that some sights are imperfect out of the box. However, I think I'm going to just get a rest like some of you suggested and see if results differ. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom