New ruger precision rifle

You want to experience a real precision rifle? Check out Grunig & Elmiger.
I got to coon - finger one this week out at Camp Perry. Unbelievable rifle, but the cost may be prohibitive: $9850.
You can buy the stock alone for around $4500.

I got to coon - finger one this week out at Camp Perry. Unbelievable rifle, but the cost may be prohibitive: $9850.

God damn.
I guess if you want to shoot the wings of a fruit fly and 1000 yards, it would be nice to have.
$10k on a bench rest rifle, how much are you spending on the optic? $10k as well?

Not for nothing Pat but the attractiveness of the Ruger is that it's NOT a $10k rifle.

I know I don't have $10,000 kill skillz.
I do know that I could have fun with a $1,000 rifle and not be embarrassed that the rifle is still more accurate than I.

God damn.
I guess if you want to shoot the wings of a fruit fly and 1000 yards, it would be nice to have.
$10k on a bench rest rifle, how much are you spending on the optic? $10k as well?
Rifles like that aren't meant for optics. It's not a bench gun.
Is it worth 8 times the Ruger? Not to me, but in the right hands it is.

Ruger manifests great ideas, yet very inconsistently! their designs and creativity are wonderful, but their quality control is worse than anybody!!!! I've bought Rugers that were utterly flawless, and others that were made by monkeys!!! I can't count on them, sadly, and have decided to buy elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

they've turned into the McD's of guns, trying to do everything great while doing nothing consistently right!

Ruger manifests great ideas, yet very inconsistently! their designs and creativity are wonderful, but their quality control is worse than anybody!!!! I've bought Rugers that were utterly flawless, and others that were made by monkeys!!! I can't count on them, sadly, and have decided to buy elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

they've turned into the McD's of guns, trying to do everything great while doing nothing consistently right!

I've never heard this before. The many Ruger's that I own have all been flawless and of great quality.

So basically we need to see if the full production guns will be made with enough quality to deliver MOA or less with good ammo.
I'm waiting to see a few of these down the range with guys blasting surplus 762 and their UTG scopes and mounts putting the rifle down because it's not shooting sub 2" groups.
I don't have any experience with the ruger trigger. Looks a lot like the savage design. It took me a,little while to get used to the trigger on my daughter's savage.

So basically we need to see if the full production guns will be made with enough quality to deliver MOA or less with good ammo.
I'm waiting to see a few of these down the range with guys blasting surplus 762 and their UTG scopes and mounts putting the rifle down because it's not shooting sub 2" groups.
I don't have any experience with the ruger trigger. Looks a lot like the savage design. It took me a,little while to get used to the trigger on my daughter's savage.

i believe Ruger is saying the rifle can do 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups, which is quite impressive (if they deliver on it). The Ruger trigger looks like the Savage trigger but is different in how it works (although not that different in feel/function).

This is a great gun to get people into the game. Hopefully will create interest in a lot of new shooters to the PRS game. I've seen a lot of talk by people who have never even heard of 6.5cm and all of a sudden they are excited about this round. Could also help convince more manufactures to start pumping out match grade 6.5cm if this gun is as successful as all the buzz has been so far. I've already seen people starting to get their guns in so in the next week or two Youtube should be awash with them.

I think Ruger has a real winner here. They spent time listening to people and giving this gun great features that were practical for PRS. I will probably pick one up in a year or so when they become easily available as I don't have anything in .308. I'm already laughing at what people are paying on GB. Seen them in the 1400+ range.

One thing i'm curious about is the action. I've never picked up a Ruger American and want to know how smooth they are.

Last edited:

This rifle will be a complete failure if it only manages 1 moa.... Ruger would have to try pretty hard to make this rifle shoot that poor considering many of the reviews and testing of their hunting rifle.

In addition to that, the models tested are highly likely production models. I haven't seen anything tested that appears to be anything but a full production run model

Last edited:
I don't understand all the fappage over the 6.5 Creedmoor round.
An almost identical cartridge has been on the line forever: the .260 Remington, or, as we call it in the business, the 6.5-08.

I don't understand all the fappage over the 6.5 Creedmoor round.
An almost identical cartridge has been on the line forever: the .260 Remington, or, as we call it in the business, the 6.5-08.

I actually like the idea of .260 better myself, as .308 brass is easy utilized. If given the option strictly between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor I will go with 6.5 everytime....

The reason 6.5 Creedmoor was selected is no doubt the factory ammo support. 6.5 Creedmoor offers a good amount of affordable factory ammo for someone that doesn't handload, .260 factory support is pathetic

Last edited:
I actually like the idea of .260 better myself, as .308 brass is easy utilized. If given the option strictly between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor I will go with 6.5 everytime....

The reason 6.5 Creedmoor was selected is no doubt the factory ammo support. 6.5 Creedmoor offers a good amount of affordable factory ammo for someone that doesn't handload, .260 factory support is pathetic

A buddy and I were discussing this last night, and given those two options, I'm a .308 guy all day. I feel the factory ammo and decades of collective experience with .308 makes the factory ammo game there a win.

That being said, the hopes of me being able to shoot to the difference is pretty slim, but it's nice to dream.

A buddy and I were discussing this last night, and given those two options, I'm a .308 guy all day. I feel the factory ammo and decades of collective experience with .308 makes the factory ammo game there a win.

That being said, the hopes of me being able to shoot to the difference is pretty slim, but it's nice to dream.

While my opinions are strong, I'm not actually bashing .308. I understand .308 for practicality standpoint. I really like 6.5 and .260 for how flat the shoot and the energy they hold at distance... they are also pretty inexpensive to reload once you have the brass

308 and 6.5 can be debated forever as they each offer their own advantages. If you know nothing about 6.5 creedmore (which i didnt until recently) and you have about an hour of time on your hands, check out the nutnfancy video that he posted a couple weeks ago. Is the guy an arogant douche monkey? yes. Is the video informative, entertaining, and worth a watch? yes.

308 and 6.5 can be debated forever as they each offer their own advantages. If you know nothing about 6.5 creedmore (which i didnt until recently) and you have about an hour of time on your hands, check out the nutnfancy video that he posted a couple weeks ago. Is the guy an arogant douche monkey? yes. Is the video informative, entertaining, and worth a watch? yes.

I haven't seen the Nutnfancy video, but i fond everyone I've ever seen the biggest waste of 30 minutes.... Je's just a self important bag of hot air that likes to hear himself talk and watch himself run around on camera.

Maybe I've seen the wrong videos, but they only seemed to be self promotion and not reviews.

6.5 Creedmoor article (very biased :) )
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1496625-hello-2015-now-replace-your-308

Last edited:
I think I'm going to order one in .308

The 6.5 seems like a pretty slick caliber, but I'm not sure that I want to get involved with a new caliber.
I already have several .308 firearms so I am all set up for reloading .308 and have plenty of components and load data for it.

I have not had a bad Ruger either. Something I can't say for S&W or SIG.

I've had many good Rugers, Single Six, Vaquero, Mk III, 9mm compact auto all fine. Single Ten and Mini-14 not finished properly. Single ten wouldn't take anything but CCI, which were impossible to get for a while, and mini's sights fell off.

got mine this am, trigger is the best i have seen from ruger, similar to the savage. need to get taller rings to mount the scope, then off to the range.

Finally got home to read the article in American Rifleman.

A few good ideas that I see:
Being able to accept multiple magazine configurations.
Threaded muzzle with protector.
Threaded bolt knob for customization.

But there are a few misses I don't understand:
Why such a light barrel?
They integrated some ar15 parts, but not the most important: easy trigger swaps.
That forend makes no sense to me: what are you going to attach to it? A simple round with a standard handstop groove would be better.
Why not just use a modified ar receiver? A two piece clamshell design can't be the best thing for accuracy.
M14 style mag release sucks.
The jury is still out on the Roger American action.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews from users here on NES. I hope its a hit for roger,but I'm not really sure who the intended market is.

Why is no one excited about the .243 WIN?
I've been a big fan of .243 for a long time but a 6.5 has my interest now. I'll give this rifle the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait and see what trigger mods become available and wait for some range reports.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom