New Ruger MKIV a real let down, what gives?

My stainless MKIII target eats pretty much anything, EXCEPT Federal Automatch. I shoot bullseye with that gun, and the one day I forgot to grab my usual ammo (fiocchi) I used Automatch. I had several alibis and was DQ'd. :/

Believe it or not, friggin' Thunderbolt runs better in my MKIII than Automatch! I now reserve that stuff for bolt action or revolver only.

Amen to that. I also love my .22s. No I wouldn't rely on them in a life or death situation but for a couple of hours at the range they are great. You can put holes in paper for 4¢ a round or 20¢ a round. Same holes (different sizes). Speaking for myself I clean all my guns religiously after every range trip. I shoot a lot of Remington Golden Bullet because it's cheap and readily available. My guns clean up easy after each visit so I have no complaints. If I was shooting top of the line ammunition I would do the same thing.
you can shoot the same size hole and cal
/cartridge from .04¢ - .42¢
Eley Tenex EPS Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Flat Nose
I do feel something has been lost over the years regarding function in 22lr semi autos.
my 1950s Remington 552 will cycle shorts,longs,LR loaded randomly in the tube

I have a mark iv tactical and a lite and no problems with them....I shoot federal auto match like you and they eat every one I feed.....going on 1,500 rds now. I wouldn't stress anymore about it....send it back to Ruger! Good luck.

I have a mark iv tactical and a lite and no problems with them....I shoot federal auto match like you and they eat every one I feed.....going on 1,500 rds now. I wouldn't stress anymore about it....send it back to Ruger! Good luck.
I sent it back last Wednesday and they received it on Friday. Anyone know if they email you when they are sending it back, or does it just show up ?

As promised, my review.

Went to MFS this morning to try out my new Mark IV. Brought 200 rounds of CCI HV 40 grain LR ammo.

I have 4 Ruger magazines, two that came with the gun, and two I bought.

The first 2 magazines had a couple of FTF and and a couple of stovepipes.

Upon further inspection, all of the magazines had a thick preservative on the inside, enough to "hang" the follower.

I cleaned all of the magazines of the gunk, and proceeded to fire 180 rounds without a miscue.

The gun was cleaned before I went to the range.

Works like a watch now, and very happy with the accuracy.

As promised, my review.

Went to MFS this morning to try out my new Mark IV. Brought 200 rounds of CCI HV 40 grain LR ammo.

Upon further inspection, all of the magazines had a thick preservative on the inside, enough to "hang" the follower.

I cleaned all of the magazines of the gunk, and proceeded to fire 180 rounds without a miscue.

I had the same issue with the gunky mags. I cleaned mine but still had the problems. My MK IV is due to return tomorrow btw. I'll post what they did to fix the problems.

As promised, my review.

I've found those mags also don't like the cold at all either. CCI standard or any other .22 that has wax for lube will hang the follower once it drops below 40F.
Other than that I love my Mk4.

I've found those mags also don't like the cold at all either. CCI standard or any other .22 that has wax for lube will hang the follower once it drops below 40F.
Other than that I love my Mk4.

I read that as "... once it drops below -40F." and thought "nope, probably won't be a problem for me". Reading comprehension: F-.

So I just got my MKIV back and have not shot it yet but I figured I tell you what went down. Sent it in on April 25th so it was 13 days turnaround time. No free mags, bastards. Just got some cheap azz silicon cleaning cloth. The invoice say Parts repaired N/A Parts replaced- bolt. Pistol was function fired 40 rounds of CCI standard velocity 40gr LRN without malfunction.
So it will shoot 40 rounds of CCI but I will still have to see if it will shoot the Federal Auto Match which I have quite a bit of and would like to be able to use.

Today I shot approximately...
150 @ CCI 40gr PRN
150 @ Federal Champion 36gr PHP
150 @ Browning 40gr PRN (black oxide)

No malfunctions of any kind.
However, the magazine followers do seem to get a bit bound up and drag once pulled down to get 9th-10th cartridges in them.

Waiting to hear what @Oldarmy 's results were with the returned pistol.

:emoji_tiger:

Sorry I have been really busy around the place. Been clearing some land to make a space for my Sis in law to park a motor home for an extended stay. She has an empty nest now and is moving to NH from Colorado to be near my wife. She will stay in the motor home and with us till she finds a place to buy. I hope to shoot it tomorrow in a netted suit as the black flies are thick right now lol.

So here is my update on my returned MKIV. I don't believe they did squat to this gun. Shot it today and put 120 rounds of cci through it had about the same number of hang-ups and stove pipes per mag as before (2 or 3 every other mag), maybe slightly less. Then went back over to the Federal Auto Match and the same crap, hang up every other round. I don't think they replaced the bolt as they claim and I call BS. If you remember I talked about how I felt the ejector had a deformity in the way the little hooked area was stamped. It had a angle to it and a really sharp point that I think was/is sticking into the rim of the round as it pulls the case out and it hangs there and interferes with the incoming round. I pulled the "new bolt" and guess what it is the same. I took it apart and deburred it and reshaped it to what I think it should look like. I will try it again soon and see if it helps. To try and explain what I see when it hangs is spent round appears stuck to extractor so it's laying in there to the left and the next round is coming by it when it should already be gone. The spent case pushes the incoming round to the right and out of alignment with the feed ramp. If it does manage to get into battery and fire it now has two spent cases and locks the whole works up. If spent round does let go it is caught by incoming round and stovepipes. The CCI do run better (no clock) but better, can't figure out why. They are copper coated as opposed to the pure lead of the Federals and about 12 thousandths longer and wonder how this plays into it. Really pissed because I really don't think they did anything to this gun and I may fight for a refund as I'm disgusted with this purchase. I told them the issues and they tested it with CCI instead of the Federals so how are they supposed to recreate the issue, dumb asses. I still say the dammed thing should shoot any .22lr. I will get satisfaction I got time on my hands.

Last edited:
I have sent a link to this thread to (Tell The CEO) at Ruger. I think this tells the story best and we'll see what comes of it. I know some don't agree but If I buy a .22 I think it should actually shoot .22 all of them (within the guns specs.) and what I was using is in spec. CCI cost me half again as much and I can't afford to do that all the time "because my gun likes it", That's BS in my view. So I will go for a return and will swear off .22 semi till they figure it out. Thanks for all the many replies, I do appreciate it.

I picked up a mk iv lite for my GF. It shoots pissah. We put like 300 rds down the tube Saturday. I ran it through 60 rds of just mag dumps with no issue.

I picked up a mk iv lite for my GF. It shoots pissah. We put like 300 rds down the tube Saturday. I ran it through 60 rds of just mag dumps with no issue.
That's what I was expecting. I got this for my wife and she has not even shot it once. She says to keep sending it back till it does what it was intended to do, actually shoot lol. I have now lost faith in the gun and the service dept. I do not believe they ever replaced the parts they claim they did. I really would like to just return it and be done. I wonder how to go about that and if it is feasible to return a bum gun for a refund. Anyone know?

If you remember I talked about how I felt the ejector had a deformity in the way the little hooked area was stamped
you know for a fact this is deformed? did you look at another to compare?
I took it apart and deburred it and reshaped it to what I think it should look like
i'm thinking you should have left it alone but i'm pretty sure after a letter to the ceo you'll get a new one.

What a bummer. Not sure if they would refund but it is possible they may offer a replacement?
for sure, the squeaky wheel effect. but i'm fairly certain most any company would look at the ground ejector and say we want this much to repair it or if you like we'll send it back. bad form to do shade tree gunsmithing on a warranty repair cause now they wonder what else was monkeyed with in the first place. not my opinion, but you know that's what they're gonna think.

for sure, the squeaky wheel effect. but i'm fairly certain most any company would look at the ground ejector and say we want this much to repair it or if you like we'll send it back. bad form to do shade tree gunsmithing on a warranty repair cause now they wonder what else was monkeyed with in the first place. not my opinion, but you know that's what they're gonna think.
I did not "monkey" with it and did not grind anything down. The part is the size of cut off toe nail. I took a very fine diamond file and dressed the pin point so it was not needle like and gently deburred the part. It is a stamped part that had sharp edges. You would have way to no know it but I have some serious hand skills, not a brag but a fact. I've made parts more complicated with nothing but needle files. The problem would of or should have been addressed by their gunsmith. It was not touched and that is why I don't think anything other than firing 40 rounds of CCI was done. I had looked at this part under magnification and before and after it was returned and it was untouched. It sure as hell was not a different bold as claimed. I have been called by the CEO's office but was out and am waiting for a call back now. As I said before I sent him a link to this thread and believe he may have read it. I felt this was the best way to explain my feelings on this purchase. Don't exaggerate so much not everyone is a no skill hack.

will do. if i hurt your feelings, sorry, it wasn't intentional.
No offence taken, just had it with this whole thing and will avoid Ruger in the future. As I said I sent a link to the CEO to this thread and don't want him getting the idea I'm home hacking away on a brand new gun. I'm not and know better. I'm not limp wristing the gd thing either. Just got a bun gun, and want to be done with it is all. Hopefully when I get a call back today they will take the thing back and send me a refund. I don't want another.

So I just wanted you all to know how this turned out. I was contacted on Monday last week by the gunsmith who worked on the gun when it went back the first time. This was after sending the link to this thread to Tell The CEO at Ruger. Read back for the details if you must. He told me he really had replaced the bolt because they had been experiencing issues with them. He said they were overly polished and therefore curved too much and needed to be more squared off in the front bottom area of the bolt face. He went on to say that he took the gun out of the box as is, obtained the same ammo I was using (Auto Match) and ran the gun with a just a single hang-up in 150-180ish rounds. The conversation was 20 minutes or more but the gist of it was I am now more confused as my issues are for real. I told him I had worked a little on the extractor as I explained here but had not tried the gun after that and just sent it back in. I told him I was not going to accept this gun back and would refuse delivery of the gun and except nothing less than a refund. He said he would tell this to the supervisor who was instructed to settle this issue as it was not up to him. I expected to get another call from her. Never heard another word for 8 days, today being the eight day I received a refund check from Ruger for the full amount paid for the gun including the transfer fee. So good for Ruger and good for me. I figure if the gun won't work right after three tries it was a good outcome. No apologies of any kind though for my waste of a months time with this lemon of a gun. A simple, sorry about that would have been nice. Guess I'll try something else.

Back
Top Bottom