• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ruger American Rifle in .22lr & .22WMRF

wonder if they will come out with a heavy/bullbarrel option... or ya'll think these will be fine as is for club level yak more then ya shoot 50/100yd benchrest.... been shootin a 10/22 w/heavy barrel and being a semi, i can keep them in the 8ring, but a bolt action would be better for me.

Here's hoping they release a threaded barrel "scout" model.

Other than magazines, Do any parts interchange with the 10/22?
The 77/22 took 10/22 mags as well.
Not officially. The 77/22 magazine has a different part number in the Ruger catalog, and on the website under features, the 77/22 lists a rotary magazine but not interchangeablity, while the new Ruger American states "Accepts all 10/22® magazines"

Some people report no problems using 10/22 magazines in a 77/22, but Ruger doesn't make any promises.

Last edited:
So, over the last month or so I have been pondering getting back into rimfire shoots again. I have done a bunch over the years, the last ones being CMP and NY State Sporter Rifle when I was stuck in NY (you have no idea how happy I was to escape back to NH).

I have had a 10/22 for ages - got it sometime in the late 80's and I wouldn't be surprised if it has had 100k rounds through it. I use to go out and put a brick through it (using Eagle 30 round mags mostly - pre-ban, which I still have a pair of) every weekend with my buddies at sand pits and backyards all over southern Maine, weather be damned. It has seen blizzards, car trunks and truck racks, rough handling, more shooters than I can remember doing training and introduction (including my 2 college age daughters, which it predates). Over the years as various guns have come and gone the only 2 I have never let go of was this, which was my first personally owned gun bought with my own money (well, traded for some motorcycle work, but still, he got it new, put 50 through it and didn't like it - wtf?) and my Single Six convertible, which was my first handgun I bought (and has seen a hell of a lot of ammo as well - mostly .22 WMR) and has served as a "trainer gun" for a lot of folks as well.

I have enough trigger group and bolt parts to put two more sets together with all the stuff I have bought and changes I have made to it over the years.

It is like an extension of me on the range.

Anyway, I was very seriously considering buying another 10/22 target rifle just for rimfire matches. For a lot of reasons my daughter, who never really got into shooting (and now goes to an all-girls lefty-liberal school in the heart of Boston on a full-ride scholarship) wants to get back into shooting as well. We have had several range trips and one car shoot, and when I asked her if she was interested in doing an Appleseed shoot with me she looked into it and really liked the idea.

So, now the dilemma: I need 2x .22s I have one for the Pelham Appleseed shoot if we do it (leaning towards "yes").

I really *REALLY* like this new rimfire from them. I have plenty of BX series mags as well as the Eagle mags, and if this came in a target barrel I would be first in line. I learned shooting on an old Win single-shot bolt (no idea the model, but you had to pull the firing pin back with a knurled knob on the back before you could fire) and a Remington DCM .22 bolt gun. Dad still has that one, I am going to be bringing it back with me next trip out, but it has issues. I love the idea of actually moving kinda backwards to an iron sighted bolt gun that I can make fit me "just right" as my main paper-puncher, but I also love my 10/22 and know it is po$$ible to make it a great target rifle with the right re$ource$.

So now, I put to the collective wisdom of NES (so, yea, prolly pretty much screwed...)

Target setup with a 10/22 or grab a new, first gen Ruger American Rimfire for my next step as a rifleman at rimfire/target shoots?

I just recently bought a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and am extremely pleased with it, but I can't help wanting one of these new Rugers too [grin]

Any word on when these will be available in MA? Do they have to undergo the same vetting process handguns go through?

OK, stopped by Reillys and Shooters Outpost today to look at and fondle, er, handle one.

Reillys did not have an on the racks. I asked one of the guy that I normally deal with there about them and he said he had never heard of them... Said it was possible they had some and sold. Offered to take my name and number and call when/if they came in (I did so...)

Went to SO - They had 2x .22lr behind the counter ready to go out, and a mix of .22lr and .22mag on the racks (total 5)

I was told the price on the .22lr rifles was $259

Also, there is this little writeup...

Real Guns - Ruger's New American Rimfire Rifles

Somebody go buy those .22lr rifles before I do something I shouldn't...

Stop bumping this thread, I'm ready to just order one right now.

Same hear....

I've been looking for a .22 the whole family can use. My twins are 6 and getting use to making range trip ( not shooting yet ) and my wife likes to plink around with her sr22 pistol. I like the fact that it has iron sight, and I like the fact that the stock is interchangeable for different size shooters.

I would on the other hand like to see a solid accuracy report before making the commitment though.

Note the comment on RFC that the rifle does not take 10/22 barrels, so sounds like the only real shared part is the magazine. Still with it performing well in tests, and with a reportedly good trigger, it'll give Savage a run for its money. Too bad it's not factory-threaded.

I'm anxious to see this compared to the Savage, which is a proven, accurate low cost bolt rifle. It's great that the Ruger uses uses 10/22 mags, and has a Garanimals stock, but is that really necessary in a .22?

For not much more money you can get a keeper rifle...a CZ.

I'm anxious to see this compared to the Savage, which is a proven, accurate low cost bolt rifle. It's great that the Ruger uses uses 10/22 mags, and has a Garanimals stock, but is that really necessary in a .22?

For not much more money you can get a keeper rifle...a CZ.

My CZ 452 Ultra Lux is stupid accurate, and it has 10 round polymer magazines that work well. Still, I think I want one of these Ruger's, too.

Shooters Outpost $260
Gun and Sport North, Salem NH $253. One in stock tonight. Tell Tony I said Hi.

-Mike

Saw them at Hoffman's in CT yesterday. They are having a Ruger Special month! Both the carbine and full sized were $269.

They also had wood stock standard 10/22's at $189. Good prices if you can wait a week or 2.

SP-RugerFest.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a long version 22LR. Love at first magazine. My 14 year old son really likes it too, though he is partial to wooden furniture over the composite stock. His statement: I'd LOVE to have one of these with a wooden stock that has the Ruger logo etched into it.
I'm sure there will soon be aftermarket wood stocks for this rifle, probably not with the logo though.

This rifle makes me look like a good shooter.

Not really helping our MA folks, but SO had maybe 10 on the racks Friday when I was there. They were having a big "Ruger Days" event though as well w/swag etc on Ruger purchases, so who knows what they have now.

Not really helping our MA folks, but SO had maybe 10 on the racks Friday when I was there. They were having a big "Ruger Days" event though as well w/swag etc on Ruger purchases, so who knows what they have now.

its a rifle. One can purchase out of state.

Back
Top Bottom