New Plate machine@ Bob's shooting range

Bob's shooting range and gun shop in Salisbury Ma has got a brand new steel plate machine. They will be having the shoots on Wed nights sign up at 6 and shooting starts at 6:30. First shoot is next week 3-11-09
here is a link showing the machine and more info about the shoots.
Should be fun, see ya there
Garry
http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/new_page_8.htm

I checked out the page but wanted some more details if you could provide them...

What are the caliber restrictions.
Can you provide your own ammo are there any restrictions on what can be used.

How late does the shooting go 6:30 to 7:30, 8:30, 9:30?

Thanks for the details in advance.

Plate Competition

As far as caliber restrictions will only be if they feel something is unsafe. If someone comes up with a FN 5n7 or .223 pistol with AP tips or something like that that is not safe then you can't use it.
As far as ammunition they want to use lead or copper plated bullets to reduce splatter back. The feeling is now that jacketed ammo is not safe.
Jack is planning on having two shooters go on the range at one time. One shoots and one gets ready. Shooter one goes to the line and shoots his first 6 shots in 15 seconds then reloads and shoots 6 more. He then leaves and next shooter goes. Next time your doing the same thing but only have 10 seconds and the third time out you get 5 seconds.
All of these will be with you starting gun on target. When they did the bowling pin shoots there was always complaints that some one was cheating and had the gun up to high so that changed to starting on target and a shorter time and that ended all the complaints.
There are some things like starting on target that could change if the majority feels its a good thing but its going to start off this way.
I plan on shooting my 1911 for one and the 44 mag with 44 specials in it for the second one. Just sign up twice and shoot both if you want. I am choosing the 44 specials just for the reduced recoil but the full magnum loads with lead are fine too. If you want to try your luck with a 357 or 38 your welcome too but from what I have seen is the heavy plates need to be hit in the sweet spot to drop them with the smaller bullets. The plate machine will be 50 plus feet and the plates are 8 inches.
I really can't answer when it's going to end other then all shooting on the range ends at 9 pm to keep the neighbors happy.
If you need to get out early just get there early and say something. They did that at some of the bowling pin shoots in the past and thats not a problem. Most of us are going to be there shooing the bull and drinking coffee so its not a big deal to us anyway.
Some of the rules may change if the shooters want a change thats not a big deal as long as it's still safe. They really want it to be a fun night.
Everyone is limited to 6 bullets for 6 targets no matter what you shoot. You will need 36 bullets to shoot the event.

I am looking forward to meeting more of the Northeast Shooters. Introduce yourself and have some fun.

Garry

Last edited:
Awesome Garry,

Thanks so much for coming back with those answers. Sounds like a real BLAST :)

I will see what I may be able to do to get out next Wednesday.

It should be lots of fun. There is a good core group of shooters there and it will be nice to add some more new shooters. Even when not shooting its a fun place to hang and chat with other gun nuts. Not many places in Massachusetts like that. The gun raffles have gone over well. People meet for the drawing and then pick what gun they want to raffel off next. They have the raffle once all spaces are sold. Basically they sell enough spots to cover what the cost of the gun would be. Once again like the shoots it's Peoples choice. It's a fun night out and the raffles are $10.00 to $20.00 depending on what the value of the gun is. I haven't won yet so I figure I am over due and will walk out with two new guns at the next raffle :)
It's not like some gun shops where if you walk in and don't buy something right away they are trying to rush you out the door. I also like to be able to test fire a used gun right there and then before buying it. Not many places you can do that.
There is a raffle tonight so it will be interesting to see who won and whats up next. I will get that info on the website.
Garry

It should be lots of fun. There is a good core group of shooters there and it will be nice to add some more new shooters. Even when not shooting its a fun place to hang and chat with other gun nuts. Not many places in Massachusetts like that. The gun raffles have gone over well. People meet for the drawing and then pick what gun they want to raffel off next. They have the raffle once all spaces are sold. Basically they sell enough spots to cover what the cost of the gun would be. Once again like the shoots it's Peoples choice. It's a fun night out and the raffles are $10.00 to $20.00 depending on what the value of the gun is. I haven't won yet so I figure I am over due and will walk out with two new guns at the next raffle :)
It's not like some gun shops where if you walk in and don't buy something right away they are trying to rush you out the door. I also like to be able to test fire a used gun right there and then before buying it. Not many places you can do that.
There is a raffle tonight so it will be interesting to see who won and whats up next. I will get that info on the website.
Garry

I'll be there just to hang with Garry.

Ihere is a raffle tonight so it will be interesting to see who won and whats up next. I will get that info on the website.
Garry

So, what your saying is that I can come up tomorrow to pickup my new .22 ?

Do you know if they got more .40 reloads in ? If I have to shoot lead or copper coated, rather than FMJ, I'll need to make sure you have some on hand..
[smile]

So, what your saying is that I can come up tomorrow to pickup my new .22 ?

Do you know if they got more .40 reloads in ? If I have to shoot lead or copper coated, rather than FMJ, I'll need to make sure you have some on hand..
[smile]

They should have the ammo but wouldn't hurt to call the shop just to make sure. I know they had plenty of 45's.
I did try the 22 and found that if I hit them high they fell about 1/2 the time. I want to try some 22 mini mags and see if that does better with them.

Here is the link to the next raffle and pics of tonights as well.
http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/new_page_10.htm

They should have the ammo but wouldn't hurt to call the shop just to make sure. I know they had plenty of 45's.
I did try the 22 and found that if I hit them high they fell about 1/2 the time. I want to try some 22 mini mags and see if that does better with them.

Here is the link to the next raffle and pics of tonights as well.
http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/new_page_10.htm

My shiny new 22 rifle that i just won took them down nicely with those hot rounds that we got in stock. Like you said though, you have to hit them high or they just wiggle a bit

You gonna be "testing" the plate machine tonight ? Have you got any lead .40's in stock ?

We might "test" the machine tonight, depends on if it is busy or not. We do have the 40 reloads in stock, they are copper plated, not jacketed, so they are ok for the plate machine.

My shiny new 22 rifle that i just won took them down nicely with those hot rounds that we got in stock. Like you said though, you have to hit them high or they just wiggle a bit
With a 22 its real close on the amount of energy needed to drop the plates. The 22 rifle with the longer barrel seems to make the difference. I tried the Mini Mags and really didn't notice much change on the ability to drop the plates out of the handgun. There seems to be some slight difference in how much energy is needed from plate to plate as well. Even hitting the sweet spot on the top of the plates with a 22 hand gun doesn’t seem to guarantee it will fall. When all else fails whack it with a 230 grain 45 and get your revenge.

Just a reminder, first plate shoot is tonight. Sign ups are at 6:00 and shooting starts at 6:30. It will be set up with random pairs by drawing numbers so that everybody has a chance to win even if you are not such a great shooter. They will be timed shoots, first 15 seconds, then 10 then 5. You will shoot 6 times, 6 shots 6 targets, so you will need 36 rounds to participate, easy enough to scrounge up. No full metal jacket, copper plated and straight lead only, it is a saftey issue because of splatter, you will be shooting from 40ft. Hope to see a good turn out, if you are one of the people here on northeast shooters, introduce yourself so we can get to know you.

Just a reminder, first plate shoot is tonight. Sign ups are at 6:00 and shooting starts at 6:30. It will be set up with random pairs by drawing numbers so that everybody has a chance to win even if you are not such a great shooter. They will be timed shoots, first 15 seconds, then 10 then 5. You will shoot 6 times, 6 shots 6 targets, so you will need 36 rounds to participate, easy enough to scrounge up. No full metal jacket, copper plated and straight lead only, it is a saftey issue because of splatter, you will be shooting from 40ft. Hope to see a good turn out, if you are one of the people here on northeast shooters, introduce yourself so we can get to know you.

It does not look good for me tonight but then again things can change quick. Regardless I hope its a success and expect to be taking part of any Wednesday matches I can.

The plate shoot went great, it was a lot of fun, I ended up on the winning team, I didn't shoot so great, 18 of 36, but I ended up paired with the guy who tied for high gun. The high gun score was 33 of 36 , SA John and Tad Johnson tied for high gun. It was fun to watch them shoot. It is nice to know that the random pairs make everybody eligible to win, otherwise, I would not have had a chance at ending up on the winning end. Like I said, it was a lot of fun and I trhink everyone else thought so too. We had a great turnout, 20 shooters, hope it keeps up and gains popularity.

Last edited:
Harrison, my mistake, last night I was calling him Tad Johnson myself. He never corrected me - maybe he knew how stupid I am. I've known Tad for a few years.

Good effort last night by you and the guys at Bob's. It's nice that the shoot moved along so fast. Jack made that happen with his no bullcrap facilitating.

John

The shoot last night looked easier than it proved to be. I thought several people would clean the 36 targets. Didn't happen. Average score was around 15-20. Best part of the night was how quickly Jack and the gang moved shooters through. We started at about 6:50pm and finished at 8:45pm. Good bunch of guys and a good course. I believe these plate shoots are going to be a weekly thing. Come check 'em out.

That would be Tad Davidson

Tad came out and shot.... I hope someone at the nursing home taped Matlock for him.

7f4c72ea66ceb3676be9cc87c119aa15.jpg

It was good to see Tad and John shoot. I didn't have a great night myself but there is always next week.
Great having you two on here it’s like being able to talk to GOD.
Look for ya next Wed at 6:00 pm.
If Jack would stop all the pleasantries it could go much faster :)

Back
Top Bottom