• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New M1a Scout

[party2] Finally. Wanted one for a long time and picked it up today, Question for someone with an M1A; After flipping up the butt plate, how does the compartment door swing open? There is what looks like a tiny release but I'm not able to release it and not about to frig it up trying to pry it open. Also, would you in the case of the walnut stock treat to tung oil or anything....

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know that is a sweet lookin rifle. Congrats and enjoy.

Nice rifle. I have one myself. The release button you see works exactly as you think it does. It is just stiff as a mother f@cker! I had to use my damn multi tool the first half dozen timed until the spring lightened up.

Your going to love that rifle. I bought an M1A loaded stainless three weeks ago myself. Sweet rifle. I too had wanted one for many years just never could commit to the price tag. People say buy once cry once so I finally got it. I had no trouble opening my trap door though. I have heard boiled linseed oil really brings out the grain in the wood but it's a long process and I believe it may required stripping original finish. Not sure I'm going to try it with mine. Good luck with rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
You might need to use a small screwdriver to push the release button on the trapdoor.

the door release spring is stupid strong, as has been said. Tip of a .308 does nicely

I ended up taking the scope mount off as I am not planning on using a scope, and if I do I'll use a receiver mount. It gets too hot. I also refineshed the stock with tung oil and it basically came out the same with a slight boost in gloss. I haven't tried it but I hear Birchwood Casey Tru Oil is a really nice product that can make the wood grain really pop.
Nice choice! Next step is to put the classic flash hider on mine

the door release spring is stupid strong, as has been said. Tip of a .308 does nicely

I ended up taking the scope mount off as I am not planning on using a scope, and if I do I'll use a receiver mount. It gets too hot. I also refineshed the stock with tung oil and it basically came out the same with a slight boost in gloss. I haven't tried it but I hear Birchwood Casey Tru Oil is a really nice product that can make the wood grain really pop.
Nice choice! Next step is to put the classic flash hider on mine

Like your rifle sling where'd it come from? Also, that your widow maker on your avitar?

For some reason, my Scout gets more "fun" shooting than any other in the collection.
There's something about the wood stock, the heft of the gun and the recoil that is just magic.
I recommend the Sadlak tactical mag release and spring guide rod, as well as an Smith extended bolt release.

Last edited:
I've wanted one of hess for so long, an m1 that is. the scout is beautiful. torn between one and another cmp garand(maybe a 308 special as i have a 3006). WHY CANT I JUST HAVE MORE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!?! NEED MORE OF THESE BEAUTIFUL PIECES!!!! (bash head against wall again and again)

I've wanted one of hess for so long, an m1 that is. the scout is beautiful. torn between one and another cmp garand(maybe a 308 special as i have a 3006). WHY CANT I JUST HAVE MORE MONEY?!?!?!?!?!?! NEED MORE OF THESE BEAUTIFUL PIECES!!!! (bash head against wall again and again)

CMP Garand is on the short list for me too, can't decide on .30-06 or .308.
Don't want to start another caliber.

Last edited:
54159174.jpg

CMP Garand is on the short list for me too, can't decide on .30-06 or .308.
Don't want to start another caliper.

already have other guns in both calibers so for me that isn't a specific issue. it's just funds. have garands in 30-06 so really wouldn't mind picking up a cmp special in 308 while they're available. and at cmp prices i can't help but to not go out, and make sure to eat at home more often to save up enough to grab another….

Damn, I got one a few years ago with black plastic stock. Don't know what I was thinking. Those wood stocks are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like your rifle sling where'd it come from? Also, that your widow maker on your avitar?

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/US-GI-Slings-Web-and-Nylon_c15.htm
These are nice, original GI slings for like $12.00. Mine appears to be slightly used so its nice, soft and broken in.
And yes, thats my H2. Somehow guns and cycles historically go together

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, I got one a few years ago with black plastic stock. Don't know what I was thinking. Those wood stocks are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was all set to buy the plastic version, but I picked up the walnut stock and that changed my mind in less than a second

That is a nice rifle.

I have a Scout Squad with the factor plastic stock and it sucks. That is a nice piece of wood you have there. It has me thinking of restocking it.

I've got a USGI fiberglass stock that I was going to put it in, but that just looks sweet.

Don

Nice rifle!!! I have a scout as well, I ditched the scout mount and hand guard for a vented version, and swapped out the navy brake for a NM flash hider. Mine is going back to Springfield as it appears to have a bent operating rod YMMV. I love this rifle my favorite in my collection.

IMG_1580.jpg

Last edited:
Mine started out just like the rifle in the OP, I resurrected this USGI fiberglass stock, duracoated it, removed the scout rail and replaced the handguard with a non slotted one.

Ugh, all these classic rifles. I really do need one in my collection. This boat anchor doesn't come out to often.

2012-06-13180607.jpg

Wood stocks are good looking; I have a service grade M1A that looks like it came out of the armory in 1965, but the plastic stocks are meant for paint!

I've had my M1A scout outfitted in a couple of different configurations with different stocks:

This one is my favorite:

Like other have said, I don't shoot mine nearly enough as I should.

I was for a long time between an M1A or a AR10, if sig didnt have the 716 DMR i would have gone with an M1A.

As far as i know, M1A scoping isnt an issue.. the main issue is getting bedding and accurizing for the m1a.

I would love to own one of those nicer recievers with the rear lug for the m1a from LRB

Best group I've gotten from my M1A with the round used right there in the upper corner. This was with M80 ball bullets too and iron sights. I've never messed with match loads in my M1A
1bac4d0da173d8a31baf47301c416d06.jpg

Back
Top Bottom