• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New M1a Scout

I had a 4.5-14x50 mk4 on my loaded full length. It was too heavy and not as accurate as a bolt gun so I took the scope off and put it on something which would maximize its potential. I wouldn't describe M1As as hard to scope, just not really worth it imo, especially with how much fun they are to shoot with just irons.

The do look good though, I do miss this combo in my safe.

Mine loves FGMM, and it is accurate, but for the money I sunk into it I could have bought a LaRue OBR and have a rifle that shoots twice as tight at half the weight.

Hindsight is a bitch and all that, but I wish I would have skipped the heavier barrel and Sage chassis and had it built into a Scout to be shot with irons.

The irons were the reason I got one, I'm wanting a .308 battle rifle I can scope though, thinking AR-10.... Can't afford the scar right now

There are usually some very nice USGI stocks for sale in the M14 forum classifieds or at treelinem14. Treeline still has NOS E2 stocks as well.

Ok...who knows what this is?

Nice rifle!!! I have a scout as well, I ditched the scout mount and hand guard for a vented version, and swapped out the navy brake for a NM flash hider. Mine is going back to Springfield as it appears to have a bent operating rod YMMV. I love this rifle my favorite in my collection.

View attachment 149146

Sorry- new on this plateau; Is a flash hider legal in MA?

Beautiful rifle. That stock is screaming for some boiled linseed oil.

131521784.jpg

131521816.jpg

I don't shoot mine enough either. I usually have it at NES shoots to run ammo through it and let others enjoy it. I do get it to Harvard occasionally. 300 yard tack driver with irons. Can ring those steel plates all day long, every shot.

If the damn thing wasn't so heavy, it would make a fine primary battle rifle.

Can I apply to stock or is stripping finish required cuz that's not happening!

Depends on what they put on at the factory. If the factory finish is a stain/sealer then any tung or linseed oil will not sink into the grain.
Also be aware almost anything labeled tung oil/linseed "finish" will tend to dry glossy.

I hope you find a good mount and scope set up. I only know 3 people with Springfield Inc. M1a's. 3 scoute scope set ups , which all failed and they went back to iron sights.
The 4th received his dad's Fulton Armory NM model with the Krieger barrel and receiver mounted scope mount...has a basic leupold scope
This thing shoots stooped nice.

Last edited:
Here is some info that might help you squeeze a little more out of your M1a.

The army MARKSMENSHIP standard was a extreme spread average of 6" groups at 300 meters with M118 match ammo with 3 consecutive 10 shot groups. The ammo had to be known to be capable of a 3.5" extreme spread at 300 meters , shot from a rifle rest.
if your ammo can't shoot close to 1moa you shouldn't really expect your M1 to do much better than 3-5 moa really.
stevespages.com/pdf/m14_accurizing.pdf

Yup no pistol grip or collapsible stock ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would need to install one with the bayonet lug ground down, or you'd have two evil features, making it an "assault rifle" by definition. See quote from NES Mass assualt weapon FAQ thread below
Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

Fulton Armory does sell them with the lug ground for $59.95

Chris

Scout, Socom16 and

Here is my scout wearing a USGI walnut stock, slotted handguard and neutered flash hider:

Homecoming_1331_zpsj3lusmwz.jpg

Here is a closeup of the flash hider:

Homecoming_1333_zpspqgqsqb6.jpg

Here is the Socom16 in a USGI fiberglass stock with slotted hand guard and a ghetto cammo job:

Homecoming_1336_zpsxizkhcly.jpg

Close up of the Socom muzzle break:

Homecoming_1338_zpsayhptwxb.jpg

Lastly, full length, preban Armscorp in USGI walnut and later solid hand guard:

ArmscorpM14_zpsc27d1438.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Chris

[party2] Finally. Wanted one for a long time and picked it up today, Question for someone with an M1A; After flipping up the butt plate, how does the compartment door swing open? There is what looks like a tiny release but I'm not able to release it and not about to frig it up trying to pry it open. Also, would you in the case of the walnut stock treat to tung oil or anything....

Congrats on the new rifle, the thing looks beautiful.

Mike

You would need to install one with the bayonet lug ground down, or you'd have two evil features, making it an "assault rifle" by definition. See quote from NES Mass assualt weapon FAQ thread below
Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/157704-MA-Assault-Weapons-Ban-quot-AWB-quot-FAQ

Fulton Armory does sell them with the lug ground for $59.95

Chris

The National Match "reamed" Flash hider has no bayo lug, and a bayo lug is useless on a scout as you wouldnt be able to mount a bayonet because of how close to the gas plug is, nor would you be able to remove the plug without taking off the flash hider...

The National Match "reamed" Flash hider has no bayo lug, and a bayo lug is useless on a scout as you wouldnt be able to mount a bayonet because of how close to the gas plug is, nor would you be able to remove the plug without taking off the flash hider...

Right, which is what you and I did. However, the question posed was "Is a flash hider legal in Massachusetts". The answer isn't as simple "yup, no pistol grip or collapsible stock". There are plenty of folks in non-ban states who mount stock flash hiders on their Scouts, even though they are useless, and impede removal of the gas plug.

Right, which is what you and I did. However, the question posed was "Is a flash hider legal in Massachusetts". The answer isn't as simple "yup, no pistol grip or collapsible stock". There are plenty of folks in non-ban states who mount stock flash hiders on their Scouts, even though they are useless, and impede removal of the gas plug.

Semantics you win...

Damn, I got one a few years ago with black plastic stock. Don't know what I was thinking. Those wood stocks are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! but it's still as accurate as hell with iron sights and fun to shoot with the plastic[smile]

Back
Top Bottom