New LTC applicant story

SJan

NES Member
A good friend of mine recently applied for his LTC here in Attleboro MA. He was given a LTC A restricted for hunting and target purposes only. He was told that nobody gets an LTC A without restrictions whom is under 25, (he is 23). He is a very friendly and talkative person and in his conversation at the station he was told that there are many new rules and regulations coming out all the time and that is why persons under 25 will not get calss A no restrictions. Seemed like the officer was stereotyping young people as being ignorant. He said that 'All lawful purposes' will not be used anymore. He also brought up something about you cant just go into Cumberland farms after 8pm at night while carrying concealed. I have never heard of such a thing, is this officer making this stuff up? How often have the regulations pertaining to this been updated in the past 5-10 years, and what has changed? In his case, he is satisfied with those restrictions because he just wants to shoot for fun at the range. I am very against any such restrictions, I think a Class A should be the same Class A for everyone. I have always thought that making the local police chief the licensing authority is a terrible idea. any thoughts or comments on this?

I think everyone on this forum agrees that the Massachusetts policy on licensing leads to harassment of legal and law abiding gun owners, arbitrary abuse by local officials, and an infringement of constitutional rights.

now, if an LTC was "retricted" to Target and Hunting - does that mean he can CC on his way to these events? or is this just a LTC - B in disguise...

i don't think I've seen this answered "en ingles" - one of the attorneys answered it in a very complicated way which left me at square one.

I have an ALP - but I moved from Lynn a little over a year ago. my current city (Woburn) is blue... so I will probably plan a move in 2012 to a "green" city or take my chances here.

i really like it here though, so I hope some feedback is posted soon.

so If someone has a "restricted" Hunting and Target, can they CC on their way to / from the range? shit, MRA has 24hr access!

now, if an LTC was "retricted" to Target and Hunting - does that mean he can CC on his way to these events? or is this just a LTC - B in disguise...

i don't think I've seen this answered "en ingles" - one of the attorneys answered it in a very complicated way which left me at square one.

I have an ALP - but I moved from Lynn a little over a year ago. my current city (Woburn) is blue... so I will probably plan a move in 2012 to a "green" city or take my chances here.

i really like it here though, so I hope some feedback is posted soon.

so If someone has a "restricted" Hunting and Target, can they CC on their way to / from the range? shit, MRA has 24hr access!

It's funny you say that. I had a gun shop owner semi-jokingly say what you do with say a restriction of sporting (like on my license, damn bastards) is join a 24hr club and say your on the way to the range all the time.

A good friend of mine recently applied for his LTC here in Attleboro MA. He was given a LTC A restricted for hunting and target purposes only. He was told that nobody gets an LTC A without restrictions whom is under 25, (he is 23). He is a very friendly and talkative person and in his conversation at the station he was told that there are many new rules and regulations coming out all the time and that is why persons under 25 will not get calss A no restrictions. Seemed like the officer was stereotyping young people as being ignorant. He said that 'All lawful purposes' will not be used anymore. He also brought up something about you cant just go into Cumberland farms after 8pm at night while carrying concealed. I have never heard of such a thing, is this officer making this stuff up? How often have the regulations pertaining to this been updated in the past 5-10 years, and what has changed? In his case, he is satisfied with those restrictions because he just wants to shoot for fun at the range. I am very against any such restrictions, I think a Class A should be the same Class A for everyone. I have always thought that making the local police chief the licensing authority is a terrible idea. any thoughts or comments on this?

That is so wrong it would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

To be more specific, he is completely wrong about the under 25 thing. And there is no reason you cant carry into a cumberland farms at 8pm. Only place off limits are all schools, and federally restricted locations.

To be more specific, he is completely wrong about the under 25 thing. And there is no reason you cant carry into a cumberland farms at 8pm. Only place off limits are all schools, and federally restricted locations.

I understand this, you understand this, I guess its just this towns police chiefs little rule of his own... and that brings us back to the point.

That is utter crap.

Note that it is from the same city telling applicants that delays are due to "the new gun license approval board."

Gross ignorance or total mendacity? You decide.

That is utter crap.

Note that it is from the same city telling applicants that delays are due to "the new gun license approval board."

Gross ignorance or total mendacity? You decide.

If someone has a "restricted" Hunting and Target, can they CC on their way to / from the range?

[smile]inquiring mind or two would like to know... i think it was you who answered this "legal" terms...

I don't think that's a completely answerable question, as the restrictions are so vague it's anybody's guess. But the safe answer would be no.

how so?

LTC - A

Restrictions: Target and Hunting

so to me, I can CC when target shooting and hunting - is that safe to say?

outside of these "red" towns, I wonder if any LEO is really going to give someone a hard time for actually CC-ing while they are out & about. I think it kinda goes inline with those pre-post ban magazines.... (i.e. numbnuts w/o an FID/LTC gets caught with a "post ban" magazine while I would probably be ok if it were you or I)

but that's just me... if someone has experience with CC-ing, printing or pulling their firearms while having a "restricted" class A - please chime in. I haven't seen this to date on this forum or any of the other ones....

Class A is Class A.... while I hope that i don't get restricted... if I do, I guess I'm a 24/7 target shooter...

Last edited by a moderator:

<shrug> Ask the chief who issued the restriction what it means. They're the one who would revoke your license due to suitability reasons, and I assume they would also be the one who would charge you under C 140 S 131 for any violation of your restrictions.

jay_chris said:
I guess I'm a 24/7 target shooter...

Good luck with that [rolleyes]

and I would argue that you are not officially hunting or target shooting until you are actually AT the range or AT your hunting site. Otherwise, you are CCWing, which is a no-no on the ball-less restricted LTCA. How would an officer actually believe you if you told them you were carrying concealed becuase you were heading to the range? No way for them to validate your statement without changing their normal duties (ie, following you to the range, even then you could just go to a range, get inside and wait).

IMHO, a restricted permit only allows you to CCW *at* the event, not going to the event. Then again, the laws can be vague on restrictions, but dont f*ck it up for the rest of us.

wow, Im shocked to hear this! IIRC, didnt one of the kids who worked at NET (Kevin, I believe his name was) have his LTCA ALP from Attleboro originally when he was under 25?

my process was flawless but then again, I was 25 when I applied.

guys, I have an ALP -

Restrictions: none

i'm am trying to bring in this variable for the sake of discussion. no need to get touchy (i.e. "don't f*** it up for the rest of us).

i find it facinating how some of us can own post ban magazines because they don't have a date on them - yet turn around and act righteous about a BS restriction that doesn't specifically say "you can only CC at the range or hunting".....

c'mon now...

i've searched this for ever! since getting my LTC - A a couple few years ago. i have NOT seen any story of someone loosing thier CC privelages for CC-ing out and about. maybe it's the odds of actually having to use it... i don't know. i'm no expert or lawyer... it's for discussion only.

did I mention I have an ALP?

guys, I have an ALP -

Restrictions: none

i'm am trying to bring in this variable for the sake of discussion. no need to get touchy (i.e. "don't f*** it up for the rest of us).

i find it facinating how some of us can own post ban magazines because they don't have a date on them - yet turn around and act righteous about a BS restriction that doesn't specifically say "you can only CC at the range or hunting".....

c'mon now...

i've searched this for ever! since getting my LTC - A a couple few years ago. i have NOT seen any story of someone loosing thier CC privelages for CC-ing out and about. maybe it's the odds of actually having to use it... i don't know. i'm no expert or lawyer... it's for discussion only.

did I mention I have an ALP?

I apologize. It was not directed at you, more of the community at large. A form of royal "you".

THink of it this way: the laws and regs on restrictions may be vague, but that can work both for OR against you. Furthermore, yes, I dont think I have heard of any cae of someone losing their license over a restriction violation like that, but, given this state, it is guaranteed to happen. Hell, a dude in Dedham lost his permit because his jacket blew up a bit and he showed part of his pistol. And thats not even the worst of towns in regards to firearms laws!!!!!

Im not meaning to blast anhyone in particular, but I think as a firearm owner and resident of MA, I do get to have a say, especially as all of us pro-2A people are in the same boat together. Some of us are just allowed to perform life saving activities [wink]

Nothing specifically says you cannot Open Carry either but are you going to? [rolleyes]

and how many people open carry in NH, were it's clearly written out that it's legal, outside of those open carry trash pick ups?

just like you said, "we ARE, our own worse enemies"......

do NOT confuse open carrying with MASS. i am talking about about a LTC - A (can carry loaded on his / her person ect...) with so-called "restrictions"....

the guy in Dedham was carrying a shot gun under a trench coat - as stated previously.... to my understanding, a LTC - A does NOT allow us to carry rifles concealed, only handguns.

maybe i should be one of the sheep - i should only worry about myself until it affects me personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what discussion you're looking for. LTC restrictions are a crappy, vague, and variable concept that are at the whim of the local licensing authority. So it's hard to make any kind of firm statements about them.

Correct and the consequences are not only the potential loss of the permit but also a misdemeanor charge under C140S130.

One needs to weigh the pros and cons prior to "guessing" what a LEO may do and what a judge and or appeals court may rule.

I can only speak for one LEO when I say that once I see a LTC I do not notice nor care if there are restrictions.

and how many people open carry in NH, were it's clearly written out that it's legal, outside of those open carry trash pick ups?

just like you said, "we ARE, our own worse enemies"......

do NOT confuse open carrying with MASS. i am talking about about a LTC - A (can carry loaded on his / her person ect...) with so-called "restrictions"....

the guy in Dedham was carrying a shot gun under a trench coat - as stated previously.... to my understanding, a LTC - A does NOT allow us to carry rifles concealed, only handguns.

maybe i should be one of the sheep - i should only worry about myself until it affects me personally.

Ummm....you missed my entire point![rolleyes]

Correct and the consequences are not only the potential loss of the permit but also a misdemeanor charge under C140S130.

One needs to weigh the pros and cons prior to "guessing" what a LEO may do and what a judge and or appeals court may rule.

I can only speak for one LEO when I say that once I see a LTC I do not notice nor care if there are restrictions.

+1 this is what I was hoping to discuss.

Oh shit, where to begin on how wrong this is.....
brain.gif

BS.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop opining upon a subject you are clearly clueless about, lest you further advertise your ignorance.

BS.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop opining upon a subject you are clearly clueless about, lest you further advertise your ignorance.

my mistake - it wasn't a shot gun. i obviously got it screwed up with something else...

i didn't open the subject - merely posed something for discussion. but thanks for your sound advice... where do you practice? just curious to NOT go that way - god forbid i'm ever in need.

Half Cocked - "we are our own worse enemies"..... perfect... my new quote.

I have a phrase that sticks in my mind sometimes.

"There's too many Bozo's on this bus" [rolleyes]

anyone know where that phrase comes from?

Age discrimination against the younger applicant is not uncommon. I know an individual who applied on, or very close, to his 21st birthday in a bright green town. The licensing officer told him he did not feel comfortable giving an unrestricted to a 21 year old, however, he did it anyhow. A few years have passed, and that applicant is now a veteran and full time police officer in MA.

If someone has a "restricted" Hunting and Target, can they CC on their way to / from the range?

[smile]inquiring mind or two would like to know... i think it was you who answered this "legal" terms...

With a target and hunting class A you have to have it in your trunk and unloaded. Thats what Fall River told me and the guy that gave me my NRA safety class. I guess I was lucky because im physically disabled I got a class A no restrictions. Now I have a question on that, with a no restrictions can I buy M&P guns because I have the same license as they do???

With a target and hunting class A you have to have it in your trunk and unloaded. Thats what Fall River told me and the guy that gave me my NRA safety class.
With credentiale like "police officer" and "certified instructor" how could these wellsprings of wisdom possibly be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom