New here

Hey all just posting because i am new here. And also new to the gun world, finally talked my father into letting me get a firearm and applied for my FID in Dartmouth in august, it took untill January 21st to have the interveiw and do prints and such. I was wondering if anyone knew how long dartmouth usually takes i know that they use the online application process seeing as we went over al that at the interveiw. Also was sure what i should buy looking to get a shotgun and at somepoint a .22, mainly for small game hunting and the shotgun for deer/turkey.

Welcome aboard...great place here to find out all kinds of info and just enjoy learning about different guns, views and all that jazz. have fun.

Hey all just posting because i am new here. And also new to the gun world, finally talked my father into letting me get a firearm and applied for my FID in Dartmouth in august, it took untill January 21st to have the interveiw and do prints and such. I was wondering if anyone knew how long dartmouth usually takes i know that they use the online application process seeing as we went over al that at the interveiw. Also was sure what i should buy looking to get a shotgun and at somepoint a .22, mainly for small game hunting and the shotgun for deer/turkey.

Welcome aboard, Buddy and don't be shy! Lot of good people here.

Welcome!
One of the most important things to consider when deciding on a new firearm is its intended purpose, unless you have very deep pockets and want to start your collecting in earnest.
If you plan each purchase you will be happy with your choice and hold on to more of your money for your next well-planned aquisition.
As to shotguns and .22's, you should look around for great buys on used, but clean firearms. Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's are always around and with barrel change-outs the gun can fit comfortably into many roles. Ruger 10/22, Marlin Model 60 and others will be excellent choices for auto-loaders.
Training is where YOU live up to the gun's potential, so plan on good ammo and time spent at the range or duck blind.
Good luck and keep us posted.
~Matt

Wow i can tell its a good bunch of people here, posted on other forums and did not get any replies from anyone, Thanks for all the welcomes, anyone from SE Mass??

Welcome[wave]

Keep the questions coming, but also do searches for your self. A wealth of knowlege and experience is yours for the taking. Enjoy the site, and shoot safe, shoot often.

Wow, it took you along time to get an interview. If I remember correctly I went to the police station and had a time scheduled for the following week with the firearms licensing officer to do prints etc. It was around 4-5 weeks after that I received the call to pick it up. That was four years ago, I don't know if things have changed much since then.
You can't go wrong with a used Ruger 10/22 and a used Mossberg 500/ Remington 870 for a shotgun.

Welcome!
I'll add in that the Marlin 795 (which is a magazine fed version of the tube-magazine fed Marlin 60) is also another good .22LR rifle if you're looking for low-cost alternatives to the Ruger 10/22.

Yeah it took like from mid august till january 21st for the interveiw and prints. I guess they use the online process now of applying, i didnt have to fill out any paper work. And as for my firearms i was looking at remington and had no clue what way to go with the .22. Also great to see other people from Dartmouth on here!!!

Welcome to NES!

For FID's, the waiting time (at least the time my towns officer told me) is around 3-4 weeks. I went January 27 to fill out paperwork and get fingerprints and I still haven't heard back.

Good luck with everything!

-Kyle

Welcome CEC.

You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. I learned to shoot a rifle with that gun at Appleseed training.

The hobby of guns can be costly but I got the most bang for my bucks by spending money on training.

As for your question about your specific town, people may chime in.

You will find answers to many other of your future Mass related questions by using the search function.

You will love this forum.

I think of it as thousands of people like me posting important things that I care about in one place.

Thanx once again for all the Welcomes, i do feel very welcome. But now that i got some info about .22 and found out that the 10/22 is now large cap, i need a new .22 that is good remington 597?

Thanx once again for all the Welcomes, i do feel very welcome. But now that i got some info about .22 and found out that the 10/22 is now large cap, i need a new .22 that is good remington 597?

The 10/22 is not a large cap gun. Ruger does sell 25 round magazines but they are not sold with the gun in any state. If you find a shop that will sell you one then you are good to go.

alright thank you james, i know its not on the states list of Large Cap guns, but have herad people going back and forth about it on some threads in here.

Back
Top Bottom