New here...have a question

Hi all, I just signed up here because I saw (and read) a wealth of fantastic information that I am sure I've just started to scratch the surface of here. My question deals with obtaining my class A LTC. My local PD (Dracut, MA) no longer "hands" out packets to people who walk in and resquest one, instead, I have to schedule an appointment with the officer in charge of FID/LTC "stuff".

My question is...what should I expect in this "meeting"? What should I say or not say? I have no disqualifying factors, clean record, except two parking tickets and a couple written warnings for speeding years ago.

Does anybody know or have experience with Dracut and their PD? I'm curious as to my odds of getting a class A LTC and/or how difficult of a process getting an LTC at all will be.

Thanks in advance,

-Pemi

Hi Pemi, and welcome!

This seems odd. When I went to apply for mine the dispatcher didn't know that she was supposed to give me "the packet" either. Maybe check when some else is on duty.

Also, check out the sticky in the "General Discussion" forum about towns in MA. Use "search this thread" in the upper right and make sure you settings are set to show all threads, not just the last N months.

Matt

Hi all, I just signed up here because I saw (and read) a wealth of fantastic information that I am sure I've just started to scratch the surface of here. My question deals with obtaining my class A LTC. My local PD (Dracut, MA) no longer "hands" out packets to people who walk in and resquest one, instead, I have to schedule an appointment with the officer in charge of FID/LTC "stuff".

My question is...what should I expect in this "meeting"? What should I say or not say? I have no disqualifying factors, clean record, except two parking tickets and a couple written warnings for speeding years ago.

Does anybody know or have experience with Dracut and their PD? I'm curious as to my odds of getting a class A LTC and/or how difficult of a process getting an LTC at all will be.

Thanks in advance,

-Pemi

No experience with Dracut, but any town that refuses to issue the statutorily-mandated application and expects people to answer "off the cuff' is highly suspect in my book.

Download the app from the CHSB/FRB website and make sure you have it completed before your meeting with "Officer Friendly."

I thought it was rather suspect as well...hopefully It won't be an interigation, but I'll prepare for that just in case...lol...thanks for your input! I'm enjoying all the information on this site, keep up the good work!

-Pemi

Welcome Pemi...

Your experience is another reason why I'm heading for the hills.... This state is out of control.

All Lawful Purposes would be nice, but from the few people I've talked to in my area, I'm not getting my hopes up for much at all.

If I apply for a Class A ALP license and that gets denied, do you basically go home empty handed, or do they give you what they see fit? i.e. Class B sport and target, FID, etc.?

What an aweful state we live in.

-Pemi

Yes the way I understand it they may deny you on LTC-A ALP but will downgrade it to whatever they see fit.

Best of luck to you!

I live in Dracut and have had two renewals there. The Sergeant that processes LTC seems pro-gun and the old chief was at least on the fence. They only issued "ALP" permits. There is a new chief in town now. I don't know where he stands. The need for the appointment is BS. The Sergeant hates processing LTC's and doesn't want to handle peoples paperwork multiple times. This is the reason for the appointment. He just wants to make sure that you aren't missing anything. No nefarious Chinese water torture integration will occur. With that said, don't expect quick service. They took 4 months for my last renewal. If you need it sooner, I would send the complete state pack to them via return receipt mail. If they send it back to you or call you, have Darius explain the 40 day rule to them MGL Chap 180, Sec 41(e)

Similar process in Newton but after application is completed

In Newton, MA, every new applicant has an interview with a detective before a LTC is issued. The P.D. wants to make sure that it doesn't issue a LTC to anyone who is "crazy". The detective is not a psychiatrist, but I doubt it would matter, since I don't believe that the detective would have any less ability than a psychiatrist to determine if someone were so blatantly crazy to be denied their LTC based upon a brief interview.

Back
Top Bottom