New guy question about floating barrel

So i'm looking over my SR9 and with the action open I notice the barrel moves when you touch it. Why is that? And why is it angled up? Please keep the explanation simple for me I am very new to guns.

Thanks!

The barrel locks up when the slide closes. It only needs to be straight for the small amount of time it takes for the bullet to leave the barrel.

FYI, the term floating barrel has a meaning significantly different than what you have given it. It means a rifle barrel that does not touch any other part of the firearm except the receiver. In other words, it does not contact the stock at any point.

In any case, walk through this animation to see how a typical semi auto pistol works. It shows a Glock, but aside from differences in the trigger and firing pin mechanism, the basic cycle applies to almost all pistols made since about 1900.

http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Glock23/P2Glock.html

Jose is correct in the termonoligy(sp) redress as I d think he knows his stuff, I know some stuff. Freefloated is a rifles barrel that touches the reciever "only". A primitive way to confirm this was taking a NEW dollar bill and running it up and down the length of the barrel even where you think it might be touching it shouldnt be..fwiw

FYI, the term floating barrel has a meaning significantly different than what you have given it. It means a rifle barrel that does not touch any other part of the firearm except the receiver.

Ok Jose, does "moveable" barrel sound better. It's a barrel and it floats (moves). Anyway!

Thanks for the link, it's great!, I am very interested in the workings of guns and appreciate your help.

Ok Jose, does "moveable" barrel sound better. It's a barrel and it floats (moves).

Um, no. It is a Browning style tilting barrel design. Which is explained in the SR9 users manual:

Action: The action of the Ruger SR9 pistol is of the improved striker-fired type
that utilizes a tilting barrel design in which the barrel and slide are locked
together at the moment of firing. The internal striker is partially cocked by the
action of the slide. Pulling the trigger fully to the rear completes the cocking of
the striker, releases the internal striker block, and disengages the internal trigger
safety. The last bit of trigger pull fires the pistol. After firing, the barrel and slide
recoil to the rear a short distance while still locked together. After this initial
movement, the barrel is cammed downward from its locked position, permitting
full recoil of the slide and the extraction and ejection of the spent cartridge case.
Upon return of the slide to its forward position by the recoil spring, the barrel is
cammed back upward into its locked position in the slide.

Here, you don't even have to dig out your manual: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...o386JpEmHoxbuYqow&sig2=RXUKl89lqs-GAMnLbtsasA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_operation

o geez [rolleyes]

whatever it's called non-floating, browning style, thanks for the help everyone.
It is called a Browning tilting barrel design. Using incorrect terminology just gets people confused.

And you might want to read your users manual, which explains how it works.

It is called a Browning tilting barrel design. Using incorrect terminology just gets people confused.

And you might want to read your users manual, which explains how it works.

M1911 I read the manual, didn't memorize it. I didn't know the exact terminology. I 'm new to shooting and wanted to know WHY it is made like that. Thanks for being a hard-ass tough guy know-it-all and pointing out that I don't know what I'm talking about. Again, I'm new and just wanted some friendly help (which I got). Is it not OK for beginers to ask questions? Do I need to send my post to an expert to be proof-read before posting on an internet forum?

That link was great and the other friendly advice was very helpful. Thanks to you guys. All the people on here that make it friendly to new shooters on here are such a huge help. Thanks again.

M1911 I read the manual, didn't memorize it. I didn't know the exact terminology. I 'm new to shooting and wanted to know WHY it is made like that. Thanks for being a hard-ass tough guy know-it-all and pointing out that I don't know what I'm talking about. Again, I'm new and just wanted some friendly help (which I got). Is it not OK for beginers to ask questions? Do I need to send my post to an expert to be proof-read before posting on an internet forum?
OK, let's turn on the way-back machine.

Specifically, Jose correctly explained what floating means:

FYI, the term floating barrel has a meaning significantly different than what you have given it. It means a rifle barrel that does not touch any other part of the firearm except the receiver. In other words, it does not contact the stock at any point.

You responded:

Ok Jose, does "moveable" barrel sound better. It's a barrel and it floats (moves). Anyway!

To which I explained that there is already an accepted terminology for this type of design:
Um, no. It is a Browning style tilting barrel design. Which is explained in the SR9 users manual:

Here, you don't even have to dig out your manual: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...o386JpEmHoxbuYqow&sig2=RXUKl89lqs-GAMnLbtsasA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_operation

To which you responded still using the incorrect terminology:

o geez [rolleyes]

whatever it's called non-floating, browning style, thanks for the help everyone.

If that makes me a hard-ass, well, so be it. I stand by my criticism. Using incorrect terminology gets people confused.

It is fine for beginners to ask questions. You asked your question, you got correct answers, along with an explanation of the correct terminology, whereby you decided to deliberately ignore the correct terminology and mock it.

Last edited:
It's not the terminology help I am talking about, that's why I posted the question. I appreciate that information and help. It's the "you should have read the manual" comment that was unnecessary.

Again thanks for everyone's help! Including you 1911. Just be a little patient with the new guys huh.

Dont worry about it Bump - its all part of the "right of passage" [smile]

Thanks for being a new guy and getting on the forum. Dont forget to go green when you have some extra cash - to support this worthy cause where you can get the correct info about anything gun related ....

kurtb

OK, let's turn on the way-back machine...

Stop it, OK?

To the OP:

Welcome to the forum. It wasn't a stupid question. I've had a lot of students ask the same thing when they notice how loose some autoloaders' barrels get at slide lock. One poor guy thought he'd broken one of my Glocks. I had to inform him that Glocks don't break.

Last edited:
Dont worry about it Bump - its all part of the "right of passage" [smile]

Thanks for being a new guy and getting on the forum. Dont forget to go green when you have some extra cash - to support this worthy cause where you can get the correct info about anything gun related ....

kurtb

thanks kurtb! going green very soon.

That link was great and the other friendly advice was very helpful. Thanks to you guys. All the people on here that make it friendly to new shooters on here are such a huge help. Thanks again.

Whoa partner! You came here and asked a question and got an answer - several answers. You also got some info on the correct terminology which will HELP you in the future when you ask MORE questions - which you will as we all do.

No one here was trying to dump on you. The 'read the book' thing might have read harsh but it I don't think they intended it that way.

Welcome to the board!

Last edited:
I was not trying to bust em either or be anal*...........AFAIK no ARs are freefloated. Maybe im wrong. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome. dont worry about it, i asked the same thing when i bought my first pistol. thought it was an optical illusion [laugh]

these guys are just trying to help you with the correct terminology, they arent trying to be jerks about it [grin]

Stop it, OK?

To the OP:

Welcome to the forum. It wasn't a stupid question. I've had a lot of students ask the same thing when they notice how loose some autoloaders' barrels get at slide lock. One poor guy thought he'd broken one of my Glocks. I had to inform him that Glocks don't break.

Had a glock break once. I thought the correct Glock thing was they don't go kaboom unless you pull the pin first.[smile]

AFAIK no ARs are freefloated. Maybe im wrong.
There are free-floating handguards for ARs. People who use AR15s in service rifle competition often use them. Here's some examples of them:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Free-Floating-Tactical-Handguards-s/54.htm

Some AR15s designed specifically for service rifle competition will have a free-float tube installed right out of the box, like the Bushmaster DCM-XR:

http://www.bushmaster.com/competition_rifles.asp?cat=16R

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom