New Guns for a new shooter.

The Glock is out, he is not a fan of polymer, too "snappy"

The Beretta 92FS for a handgun. It'a easy to use and maintain and fun to shoot. I've been a big fan of Hong Kong cinema my whole life and there's a reason the Beretta is so popular in that region of the world - it's a beautiful gun....along with my Sicilian heritage, my love of HK films also turned me on the brand. It's a solid beginner's choice.

Has $3500 total to spend. Wants something that takes AR magazines, preferably a semi-auto shotgun, and a 9mm handgun with good reliability, and enough mass to reduce recoil in case his wife or 19 year old daughter need to use it in a pinch.

Suggestions?
way too much info, above is the edit. wondering what being asian has to do with anything. [laugh]

way too much info, above is the edit. wondering what being asian has to do with anything. [laugh]

I'm surprised though that the MSM has been silent about this but I'm sure there's a lot of people in the Asian community feeling the heat about this virus. I can certainly understand their fear...

His family and the Japanese neighbor's family are the only two non-Indian Asians in the neighborhood. He is worried after the note on the neighbor's door, his family will be targeted by the racist a**h*** that left that note.

That is why it matters.

Also, he has a 20 gauge O/U he uses for deer season. He shoots it like 10 times a year. (Something he left out of our original conversation) Hunting season is the upper Midwest equivalent of a business golf trip, total social event.

Not really an AR guy, or own any rifles for that matter. But my Mossberg 12 gauge, Glock 17, Glock 26, Beretta 92, M&P Shield and my S&W 642 have all served me well.

If he has a 20 gauge already, then it would make sense to add a pump or semi in 20 gauge for ammo sharing and the recoil factor if wife or daughter needs to use it. Remington makes a youth-size 870 that might be a good fit. If there's a carbine model that could use the S&W pistol mags, that would be a good addition, too. If not, how about a Ruger PCC and a bunch of Glock hi-cap mags, which are relatively cheap and widely available.
The hate crimes against Asian Americans have become so widespread that a professor in California started a website to log them, and he's gotten hundreds of entries. Just. Awful.

Don't discount a good revolver for a newby. No safeties outside of a strong DA first pull, easy to load, less chance of a ND. What he also needs is a lesson on the ramifications of brandishing a gun, shooting someone, etc. I understand his worries but do not let him dig his own grave legally.

He ended up with a Patriot Ordinance Factory "Puritan" rifle, 16.5 inch barrel, Magpul furniture, qty 20 30 round mags, and a serviceable hard case with integrated locking latches (Pelican knock off) for $1300

The S&W 5906 I mentioned previously

And a Mossberg SA20 (Railed) with +3 Magazine Extension for $500 (not my first choice, but it was what was available "right now")

He then grabbed as much ammo as he could and went to a friend's house in Wisconsin (who has a range in an old sand pit) to get walked through the proper care and operation.

Total out the door - $3250

So far, so good.

He ended up with a Patriot Ordinance Factory "Puritan" rifle, 16.5 inch barrel, Magpul furniture, qty 20 30 round mags, and a serviceable hard case with integrated locking latches (Pelican knock off) for $1300

And a Mossberg SA20 (Railed) with +3 Magazine Extension for $500 (not my first choice, but it was what was available "right now")

He then grabbed as much ammo as he could and went to a friend's house in Wisconsin (who has a range in an old sand pit) to get walked through the proper care and operation.

So far, so good.

To summarize:
He got a non-standard discontinued Franken-AR, that is piston driven and shoots a cartridge that the AR wasn't designed for and takes a non-standard magazine.
A used gun that has been out of production for 20 years
And a second shotgun that wasn't recommend but what was available.

$3250 down the toilet

Last edited:
To summarize:
He got a non-standard discontinued Franken-AR, that is piston driven and shoots a cartrige that the AR wasn't designed for and takes a non-standard magazine.

$3250 down the toilet

The smith is a good gun...the others wouldn't be my choice but if he has the mags for the Smith and is comfortable using it - his choice....

The smith is a good gun...the others wouldn't be my choice but if he has the mags for the Smith and is comfortable using it - his choice....
-OP asked for advice for a friend.
-Gets two pages of advice
-Friend takes no advice, makes totally questionable purchases.
Cool.

Nothing wrong with a 5906 imo. Enough mass that it will soak up recoil for people who are shy about it. New oem mags still available.

Have to concur with thinking the odd ball AR isnt the best idea. Why not just get a run of the mill model. Even aside from the current craziness, the country is literally up to its eyeballs in 556, AR mags and parts. Why be different?

Not a shotgun guy myself so dont really have an opinion.

Nothing wrong with a 5906 imo. Enough mass that it will soak up recoil for people who are shy about it. New oem mags still available.

Have to concur with thinking the odd ball AR isnt the best idea. Why not just get a run of the mill model. Even aside from the current craziness, the country is literally up to its eyeballs in 556, AR mags and parts. Why be different?

Not a shotgun guy myself so dont really have an opinion.
He could have bought a brand new beretta 92 for less money than the used 5906 and been awash in parts, accessories and cheap magazines. Whatever, totally moot point just like the entire thread.

New Berettas are selling for <$400? Fwiw that would have been another pistol Id have suggested. Ive always had a preferance for the S&W for some reason though.

IIRC, OP mentioned his buddy was set against ploymer framed and his wife and daughter possibly using whatever he gets so really any steel framed pistol will offer more mass to absorb recoil.

TBH, OP's friend sounds kinda like one of those people that just needs to be different. Why complicate the situation by insisting on oddball stuff? Easy answer to this question wouldve been G19 (or any other reputable company's version of this), practically any d.i. AR15 and a pump action shotgun.

So far, so good.
Not something I'd recommend for anyone, I have no idea in what situation he would use the Puritan.

New Berettas are selling for <$400? Fwiw that would have been another pistol Id have suggested. Ive always had a preferance for the S&W for some reason though.

IIRC, OP mentioned his buddy was set against ploymer framed and his wife and daughter possibly using whatever he gets so really any steel framed pistol will offer more mass to absorb recoil.
I just checked my email and FS was doing Beretta 92s with three mags and range bags for $499 in 2017. I am almost positive they have been even cheaper since then (maybe sub 400)

Last edited:
The guy is in a free State and spent $1300 on that rifle?

WTF.

I would have spent $800 tops on the AR.

Between $500-800 on a handgun. New.

There are good shotguns that are cheap AF. I dont shoot shotguns so wont comment on the price, but I bet $500 can get you a good pump action.

Between $1500 and $2100 for everything. Leaving around $1500-$2000 for ammo.

Edit to add:

In anticipation of the obligatory NES comment "WAAAAH, WAAAH, sub $1K ARs are Junk..."

Keep in mind, this is a guy that doesnt shoot, is not looking to compete, is not looking to put 20K rounds through it. He only wants it in case he needs it for self defense. Also, keep in mind he doesnt really know what he wants for a rifle, since he is new. An $800 AR would have been more than good for self defense. I might even have told him to buy 2 handguns and forget the rifle. Maybe even 3 handguns and also forget the Shotgun. Leave 2 of the handguns in strategic places around the house and carry the third.

Last edited:
I just checked my email and FS was doing Beretta 92s with three mags and range bags for $499 in 2017. I am positive pretty sure they have been even cheaper since then (maybe sub 400)
Maybe. Tbh I bought mine quite a while ago so never felt the need to track prices since then. I have a boner for 3rd gen S&W semi-autos so I know for sure 5906's are still going for sub $400. Anyway theyre both full sized, steel framed guns in a common caliber with available mags. Both would be a good choice for OPs friend, considering his requirements.

I'm surprised though that the MSM has been silent about this but I'm sure there's a lot of people in the Asian community feeling the heat about this virus. I can certainly understand their fear...
Pfff..... walk a day in my shoe bro, and you feel it lol. Most of us asian just wanna survice and be left alone,we are not fking crybabies, so we dont need them stupid media doing the crying for us. Just that we do not have a gun culture ,am lucky because all the crazy white dudes i work with show me how to shoot guns and stuff . Well after this corona shit am sure us asian will be arm to the teeths and vote republican...wooot.

Don't discount a good revolver for a newby. No safeties outside of a strong DA first pull, easy to load, less chance of a ND. What he also needs is a lesson on the ramifications of brandishing a gun, shooting someone, etc. I understand his worries but do not let him dig his own grave legally.
A revolver with moonclips would be an excellent choice. I bought my first 9mm revolver with moonclips a couple of months ago and it became my favorite gun. If there was ever a SHTF situation, that's what I would carry as my main gun, with one of my semi as a backup.

Even noobs can shoot that revolver better than a compact CCW handgun.

Pfff..... walk a day in my shoe bro, and you feel it lol. Most of us asian just wanna survice and be left alone,we are not fking crybabies, so we dont need them stupid media doing the crying for us. Just that we do not have a gun culture ,am lucky because all the crazy white dudes i work with show me how to shoot guns and stuff . Well after this corona shit am sure us asian will be arm to the teeths and vote republican...wooot.
Much respect for my Asian Brothers.
~Enbloc

I never thought Asian people had it so hard here. I have worked with plenty, I never had an issue with any, and I have never seen/heard anyone at the company giving them sh*t.

That really s*cks.

That's 'cause you're "Good People" Brocc...

To summarize:
He got a non-standard discontinued Franken-AR, that is piston driven and shoots a cartridge that the AR wasn't designed for and takes a non-standard magazine.

$3250 down the toilet
Since when is a .223/5.56x45 something that the AR wasn't designed for?

He could have bought a brand new beretta 92 for less money than the used 5906 and been awash in parts, accessories and cheap magazines. Whatever, totally moot point just like the entire thread.

Considering the shops around Minneapolis didn't have a Beretta 92 in stock, hard for him to buy one, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom