New Guns for a new shooter.

A stupid question but, what is available to him, ammo and firearms wise? Availability dictates purchase...

The guy is in a free State and spent $1300 on that rifle?

WTF.

I would have spent $800 tops on the AR.

Between $500-800 on a handgun. New.

There are good shotguns that are cheap AF. I dont shoot shotguns so wont comment on the price, but I bet $500 can get you a good pump action.

Between $1500 and $2100 for everything. Leaving around $1500-$2000 for ammo.

Edit to add:

In anticipation of the obligatory NES comment "WAAAAH, WAAAH, sub $1K ARs are Junk..."

Keep in mind, this is a guy that doesnt shoot, is not looking to compete, is not looking to put 20K rounds through it. He only wants it in case he needs it for self defense. Also, keep in mind he doesnt really know what he wants for a rifle, since he is new. An $800 AR would have been more than good for self defense. I might even have told him to buy 2 handguns and forget the rifle. Maybe even 3 handguns and also forget the Shotgun. Leave 2 of the handguns in strategic places around the house and carry the third.
He bought what they had, he had no other options other than some left-hand ejecting AR's. This was the best he could do with what was available, before the state shuttered all "Non-essential" businesses.

Background:

One of my sales guys lives outside Minneapolis in a fairly affluent community. He happens to be of the Asian persuasion, his parents were from Taiwan. (It is relevant)

One of his neighbors (also an Asian man, direct from Japan) came home from the hospital (Gall Bladder, NOT COVID-19, but they took him in an ambulance) to a note on his door, saying in effect, "Get your Chinese ass back to China and take your heathen commie VIRUS with you" Signed "Your Good Christian AMERICAN Neighbor"

Co-worker now wants a rifle, shotgun, and handgun for himself.

Has $3500 total to spend. Wants something that takes AR magazines, preferably a semi-auto shotgun, and a 9mm handgun with good reliability, and enough mass to reduce recoil in case his wife or 19 year old daughter need to use it in a pinch.

Suggestions? Maintenance isn't his strong suit, and he loved my Piston AR (Daewoo DR-200) as it was solid and well balanced, as compared to the DI AR-15 he tried shooting. He also prefers real steel for a handgun vs polymer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Here wut i did gun wise, go heavy on 9mm and .40 ammo , few hand guns,check out youtubes for goodones , plenty of mags . then get an ar or two that set up for longrange if he can get it where he at.then get a pellet handgun (crossman2240 is a good one)and learn how to shoot down in basement.the balance of the money go to bodyarmor and more ammo. Buy good iwb holster for his hands guns. Keep his gears simple and learn how to use it. Gl.

And none of them are available in Minneapolis, FFLs are closing shop due to virus.
If I was in his shoes, I'd find which bordering States have FFLs that are Open, Have inventory and will sell him long guns legal in his state.
Then, I'd pay for the gun over the phone with a CC and head out proto. I'd also pick up (at a minimum) 500 rounds of Defensive ammo and some training ammo.
I would do this now. No need to wait for an internet answer...

He bought what they had, he had no other options other than some left-hand ejecting AR's. This was the best he could do with what was available, before the state shuttered all "Non-essential" businesses.
That's what you get when you fail to look past tomorrow.

Sounds like he was the type of guy that thought a 20g shotgun is all he would ever need.

I am glad he woke up. It is too bad he woke up late and didnt get the best deal.

I hope the guy leaving the note was just a moron and wont really try to cause any harm.

Last edited:
Background:

One of my sales guys lives outside Minneapolis in a fairly affluent community. He happens to be of the Asian persuasion, his parents were from Taiwan. (It is relevant)

One of his neighbors (also an Asian man, direct from Japan) came home from the hospital (Gall Bladder, NOT COVID-19, but they took him in an ambulance) to a note on his door, saying in effect, "Get your Chinese ass back to China and take your heathen commie VIRUS with you" Signed "Your Good Christian AMERICAN Neighbor"

Co-worker now wants a rifle, shotgun, and handgun for himself.

Has $3500 total to spend. Wants something that takes AR magazines, preferably a semi-auto shotgun, and a 9mm handgun with good reliability, and enough mass to reduce recoil in case his wife or 19 year old daughter need to use it in a pinch.

Suggestions? Maintenance isn't his strong suit, and he loved my Piston AR (Daewoo DR-200) as it was solid and well balanced, as compared to the DI AR-15 he tried shooting. He also prefers real steel for a handgun vs polymer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I would consider ergonomics (e.g. anthropometrics). Many of the suggestions here are great, but physical characteristics of the shooter are important.

Back
Top Bottom