New firearm inventory software in Beta - Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, thanks JR. If you exit and go back in, you can't register a second time. Hmm, not sure why it isn't checking immediately. I'll work on that.

And yeah, working on the confirmation now.

Finaly got around to reading this topic. It sounds like a great app and is pretty useful too. Is it too late to sign up as a beta tester. I'm busy entering my info into the app now.

Finaly got around to reading this topic. It sounds like a great app and is pretty useful too. Is it too late to sign up as a beta tester. I'm busy entering my info into the app now.

There is no sign up -- you can get in by DLing the app from http://MyGunDB.com by clicking the Installer badge. I've got a test release out there but at this point I would just get the one from the site since I'm going to be making a new release tonight or tomorrow anyways.

v0.92 Has been released!

* Fixed Main Image setting Adding new accessory selects the newly added accessory.
* Random backend tweaks
* Fixed Sort by Current Value
* Tabs reordered
* Consignment checkbox functional -- reports/filter do NOT use it yet. For future use
* Stock type added to General Tab view
* Registration system implemented UPGRADE TO THIS VERSION TO ALWAYS HAVE THE APP FREE IN THE FUTURE!

Bed time.

Upgraded to .92 without any issues this AM.

When I build a gun I use an excel spreadsheet to itemize everything going into the gun. This way I have a total build price for the gun and know exactly what's been put into it. I'm not sure if it has been brought up, but would it be possible to add a value field to each accessory listed per gun with a total value of all accessories listed somewhere in the main gun field? A separate total for the accessories would be best so it doesn't mix with the value of the gun itself. That way you can manually add them up if want a total value of the gun w/accessories.

Upgraded to .92 without any issues this AM.

When I build a gun I use an excel spreadsheet to itemize everything going into the gun. This way I have a total build price for the gun and know exactly what's been put into it. I'm not sure if it has been brought up, but would it be possible to add a value field to each accessory listed per gun with a total value of all accessories listed somewhere in the main gun field? A separate total for the accessories would be best so it doesn't mix with the value of the gun itself. That way you can manually add them up if want a total value of the gun w/accessories.

Added Price field for accessories for next release. Will work on the stats display portion later when I get free time.

Not sure why I didn't think of that (I blame lack of red bulls).

On the Accessories tab you now support manuals other than PDF but the button still says "Select PDF Manual." I suggest removing the acronym PDF. You also talked about supporting multiple manuals. Do you still plan to implement that? Someone mentioned having a spreadsheet for his parts list. This would be a way of linking to that kind of data.

On the Accessories tab you now support manuals other than PDF but the button still says "Select PDF Manual." I suggest removing the acronym PDF. You also talked about supporting multiple manuals. Do you still plan to implement that? Someone mentioned having a spreadsheet for his parts list. This would be a way of linking to that kind of data.

Good call, removed the PDF text.

Yes, I plan on multiple manuals but that's low priority right now -- it is on the list though.

IRT the spreadsheet data, I took it to mean he suggested he wouldn't need to use a spreadsheet once I implemented a Price field and price stats for it (Correct me if I'm wrong, jrbtzx12r?) and could use just the app to handle the same data.

IRT the spreadsheet data, I took it to mean he suggested he wouldn't need to use a spreadsheet once I implemented a Price field and price stats for it (Correct me if I'm wrong, jrbtzx12r?) and could use just the app to handle the same data.

Correct. I'd rather have all of the info itemized in the gun db rather than on a spreadsheet.

Cool.

I also figured the multiple manual thing should be cloned for use in a "Paperwork" tab or something, where you can scan in receipts and forms and whatever.

Scanning in FA-10's would be awesome. Receipts I wouldn't care so much about, but having my FA-10's on electronic file is nice.

Scanning in FA-10's would be awesome. Receipts I wouldn't care so much about, but having my FA-10's on electronic file is nice.

Yeah, a few people want it for the same reason. I'm thinking of having these handle the lists in a datagrid like the Inventory and Accessories show. Then you could have unlimited entries easily.

Yeah, a few people want it for the same reason. I'm thinking of having these handle the lists in a datagrid like the Inventory and Accessories show. Then you could have unlimited entries easily.

What about right in the General tab? I'm not sure you'd need unlimited entries, you would really only have two FA-10's for a single firearm, when you bought it, and then again when you sold it(provided you didn't do it through a dealer).

Well, I meant unlimited paperwork in general.

As for your idea, wouldn't it be better maybe to put them in the P/S tab?

Well, I meant unlimited paperwork in general.

As for your idea, wouldn't it be better maybe to put them in the P/S tab?

Probably would be better in P.S. Maybe have it prompt the user either to fill in the information manually OR upload an FA-10? This way if you upload an FA-10 you aren't left with a window with many blank fields.

Probably would be better in P.S. Maybe have it prompt the user either to fill in the information manually OR upload an FA-10? This way if you upload an FA-10 you aren't left with a window with many blank fields.

I'll think about how to implement it, but yeah, would be useful.

I'll think about how to implement it, but yeah, would be useful.
there's not much room under the P/S tab and if you keep it under the Accessories tab it is more general (not everyone has to deal with FA-10s ya know). It can be manuals and assorted paperwork - whatever the user needs to link to.

That word link makes me wonder if having the ability to link to the manufacturer's web site would be useful.

there's not much room under the P/S tab and if you keep it under the Accessories tab it is more general (not everyone has to deal with FA-10s ya know). It can be manuals and assorted paperwork - whatever the user needs to link to.

That word link makes me wonder if having the ability to link to the manufacturer's web site would be useful.
Good point, maybe under the P/S tab with the option to fill in the information manually OR upload some sort of receipt?(FA10, Bill of Sale, Register Receipt, etc.)

I thought about that, and my dad thought of the same, but eh... Not sure that'd be worth it... BUT.. having a similiar setup as Accessories uses, I could make it so you can add Links yourself for whatever -- online support manual, web posts, etc.

A couple of points that I noticed as I'm entering data. It doesn't appear that .22 Magnum is a valid caliber for revolvers.

Second,On the purchased/sold tab, the Business field. I am assuming this isn't the business name, but there doesn't any hints as to what it is.

A couple of points that I noticed as I'm entering data. It doesn't appear that .22 Magnum is a valid caliber for revolvers.

You can type it into the dropdown box and it'll save it as a selectable option for other firearms, for as long as 1 firearm continues to use it.

Second,On the purchased/sold tab, the Business field. I am assuming this isn't the business name, but there doesn't any hints as to what it is.

Yes, that actually is the BUsiness name field.

The field below is for an individual's name. I just changed the field names to "BUsiness Name" and "Person's Name" for next release.

One more thing, I just printed out a report and all of the header fields (not the column headers but the page headers) are printing out <field name>:null. I haven't set up any of this information, but it is easy enough to check for null and don't print anything.

So far, I like the program and appreciate your hard work (I'm a software engineer).

As for an enhancement request, how about the ability to print the inventory of firearm type, or sort it according to type, caliber, etc.

Thanks, again

One more thing, I just printed out a report and all of the header fields (not the column headers but the page headers) are printing out <field name>:null. I haven't set up any of this information, but it is easy enough to check for null and don't print anything.

So far, I like the program and appreciate your hard work (I'm a software engineer).

As for an enhancement request, how about the ability to print the inventory of firearm type, or sort it according to type, caliber, etc.

Thanks, again

Oh man, I haven't worked on reports lately and forgot about a code change -- I'll fix that for next release.

Reports are going to have a major overhaul at some point, and will let you sort and do other things. Just was lower on the priority for the moment.

Hey, two things:

What data do ya'll want to see on the ammo tracking tab?

What data do ya'll want to see on the Range Log tab?

I've begin working on them, though they won't be out before 1.0

What data do ya'll want to see on the ammo tracking tab?

I used to keep track of factory ammo I had in my locker, but that was just a bit much to keep up to date. I do like to know what ammo I reload works best in my individual guns though. With that said I'd like to see something along the line of:

Bullet Manuf.
Bullet Weight
Bullet Type
Case Manuf.
Case Type
Powder Manuf.
Powder Type
Powder Weight
Primer Manuf.
Primer Type
C.O.L.
Group size <target spread>

What data do ya'll want to see on the Range Log tab?

About the only thing I can think of is how many rounds I've put through this specific gun and what type:

Date
# Rounds fired
Round Type <possibly linked to what I have in my Ammo tab?>

Something else to add to the Ammo tab. Group Size is OK, but I do like to describe how the round performed out of the gun so I can remember when loading next time. This is typically something like "Light" or "Hot". It may be good to put in a description field for something like this instead of Group Size. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom