New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

When I sent them my Saiga, they asked if I wanted it to be SBSed and suppressed. I had to explain that it was coming back to MA[sad]

What'd you have them do to it? It definitely says something awesome about them that asking about SBSing and suppressing it is SOP.

Watch the premier last night.

I like the show. Set to record on the dvr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the Masterkey......im wondering why they chose to use a saiga and not something with a lower profile.......

....or why not just mount a 37/40 mm launcher and make a 12gage insert for it.....could have had that thing done in a few hours.

for the Masterkey......im wondering why they chose to use a saiga and not something with a lower profile.......

....or why not just mount a 37/40 mm launcher and make a 12gage insert for it.....could have had that thing done in a few hours.

I was thinking the same thing. An 870 or something similar should have been MUCH easier to mount than a Saiga.

Maybe he wanted a semi-auto under there ... but if that's the case there are a lot of non-Saiga semi shotguns that are smaller he could have used.

I like the show and will probably keep watching but it would be good for them to maybe explain about SBR and Suppressor regs at least a little bit. It's understandable that they have time constraints to work with but to an average viewer it looks like someone can come in off the street and buy a suppressed weapon.

"I just have to get over the daughters snaggle tooth, it catches my eye every time she opens her mouth.

[rofl][rofl]

You sound like my wife. When Will Hayden went into the office to tell his daughter he sold eight Masterkey's, my wife yelled @ the TV " Screw the Grenade Launcher, get you daughters's teeth fixed". She has that "Mimi from Drew Carey" blue eye shadow going on too. Those two issues aside, I think she's kinda cute.

I'm surprised they didn't drill some holes in that cannon where the air & sand pockets were and fill them with some type metal filler compound. Hell, I'm surprised the didn't build some kind of suppressor for that cannon [wink].

This show has been added to our DVR list, can't wait till next week [grin] .

I watched the shows last night. I'll probably watch it some more, but it seems too neat & orderly, like each show is following a template. If this is reality, they have to show the bad & the good. I'd expect to see them struggling with more than just a design that wont work on the first try. Maybe this will develop more in the coming shows.

just my .02

Glad I wasn't the only one bothered by that snaggle tooth. Freakin thing is jutting out of the side of her head. I thinks its even debatable as to whether or not its a tooth. Otherwise cute though.

I just watched the first episode with some mixed reactions. The whole "masterlock" idea doesn't sound too great, although I don't have any experience busting people's doors. I got a couple of locks on my front door, so blowing one is not going to get them in. Also, in the trial, they blew away the lock but you could see that the handle under it was jammed so it did not close. That makes me wander how well that thing really works. In any case, ordering $24'000 worth of gear on sight is the definition of an impulse buy. May be some additional testing was warranted. Of course its public funds ... I mean, it's not like I'd spend that much money on a whim.

The whole shotgun on a rifle thing made me think of other "brilliant" ideas:
launcher.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't drill some holes in that cannon where the air & sand pockets were and fill them with some type metal filler compound. Hell, I'm surprised the didn't build some kind of suppressor for that cannon [wink].

You do realize that is one of only 12 cannons that were made like that, right? if something goes wrong and there is a screw up you just f'd up a priceless piece of American history.

He actually said it has been done, but with an 870 action. They are using the Saiga-12 instead which I don't think has.

I just saw the first episode, and thought it was technically weak on explaining what was done. There was no reference to the need to go to a free float handguard, and the issue of the altered gas dynamics of the Saiga (or even if the Saiga would still function in semi auto mode after the SBR conversion) was totally ignored.

I was a bit disappointed because nothing they did for this gun was technically difficult or involved any special creativity. The issue was obvious - put on a floated handguard with a bottom rail (I wouldn't ahve gone quad rail though), affix a mount to a chopped shotgun and attach.

The "grenade launcher" was less than fully accurate. They called in a "grenade launcher", but never mentioned that it was a non-NFA replica that could not fire real grenades (notice they were using 37mm flares - the 37mm unit is designed as a civilian legal/non-NFA toy that cannot file real grenades which are 40mm).

This all makes me wonder what unsaid stuff I will be missing when they cover technologies I am not familiar with.

They also gave themselves away as small in scale with the reference to using a phase convertor rather than having a 3 phase drop to the building [grin]

Last edited:
I just saw the first episode, and thought it was technically weak on explaining what was done. There was no reference to the need to go to a free float handguard, and the issue of the altered gas dynamics of the Saiga (or even if the Saiga would still function in semi auto mode after the SBR conversion) was totally ignored.

I was a bit disappointed because nothing they did for this gun was technically difficult or involved any special creativity. The issue was obvious - put on a floated handguard with a bottom rail (I wouldn't ahve gone quad rail though), affix a mount to a chopped shotgun and attach.

The "grenade launcher" was less than fully accurate. They called in a "grenade launcher", but never mentioned that it was a non-NFA replica that could not fire real grenades (notice they were using 37mm flares - the 37mm unit is designed as a civilian legal/non-NFA toy that cannot file real grenades which are 40mm).

This all makes me wonder what unsaid stuff I will be missing when they cover technologies I am not familiar with.

They also gave themselves away as small in scale with the reference to using a phase convertor rather than having a 3 phase drop to the building [grin]

Vaild points but I think they would lose a lot of their casual audience by drilling into too much detail. I'm also fairly certain that a team of lawyers is urging them to keep the detail to a minimum so when Dudley Dipsh$t takes a hacksaw, soda can, and some steel wool blows himself and his Saiga up!

Indeed [smile], good one!

Did anyone notice that cheap Harbor Freight lathe/mill combo in the corner? They got the older model than this one:
image_1469.jpg

Back
Top Bottom