New AWB and LEO mags

Suppose that they do enact a new AWB and mags get restricted back to 10rds and LEO marked hi caps. What will happen to those people who now legally own restricted mags? Will we become instant felons or will these mags become grandfathered in?

They will probably think of this and put some other mark on it that wasn't in the last one. But yet another reason this is so f'n stupid.

Simple,they will be declared contraband and confiscated.

Actually, it's not that simple since confiscation raises the issue of compensation. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the vast majority of gun bans to date (even including the Caliban, he Chicago handgun ban, the DC handgun ban, the MA mag ban, the NY mag ban and the CT AW bad) have provided one time grandfathering. Two exceptions were Hawaii (10 rounds) and NJ (15 rounds) where owners had to down-convert their mags to remain legal.

Actually, it's not that simple since confiscation raises the issue of compensation. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the vast majority of gun bans to date (even including the Caliban, he Chicago handgun ban, the DC handgun ban, the MA mag ban, the NY mag ban and the CT AW bad) have provided one time grandfathering. Two exceptions were Hawaii (10 rounds) and NJ (15 rounds) where owners had to down-convert their mags to remain legal.

While you may be right,I prefer to further fuel my paranoia by spreading false rumors in the hope that other people who read it will rise to my level.

Not familiar with Katrina and NOLA are you ?
Quote stolen from another thread[wink]

haha you can give your leo mags to me in may... lol

Head over to masscops if you feel the need to rub it in the "subjects" faces. Although you probably were kidding and didn't mean it in a nasty way, it is a sore subject here. We are no worse or better than you and your profession. Yet our government feels the need to treat us as subjects subordinate to anyone in power despite the folly of such treatment.

haha you can give your leo mags to me in may... lol

Head over to masscops if you feel the need to rub it in the "subjects" faces. Although you probably were kidding and didn't mean it in a nasty way, it is a sore subject here. We are no worse or better than you and your profession. Yet our government feels the need to treat us as subjects subordinate to anyone in power despite the folly of such treatment.
Ya, that was crappy.

was somewhat a joke.. didnt mean to rub it in your face.. i feel your pain...

Suppose that they do enact a new AWB and mags get restricted back to 10rds and LEO marked hi caps. What will happen to those people who now legally own restricted mags? Will we become instant felons or will these mags become grandfathered in?

Since no such legislation has come up for a vote in either of the houses of Congress, there is really no way of telling.

But I agree with Rob that it is most likely that if such a ban were enacted that it would grandfather existing guns and magazines. That said, I think the chances of any such ban being enacted in the next several years are slim to none. Both Reid and Pelosi have said they do not support such legislation. They remember what happened last time around and they don't want to lose their positions in the majority.

Not familiar with Katrina and NOLA are you ?
The actions of a particular police agency are rather different from the actions of Congress.

Last edited:
was somewhat a joke.. didnt mean to rub it in your face.. i feel your pain...
It's all fun and games until someone baracades themselves in a well armed house to defend against confiscation.[laugh]

Seriously, it seemed like a pretty obvious joke to me...

It's the officers and military that can't joke about this that I worry about... [thinking]

Given the buying frenzy lately along with several years of production, a new AWB would just be even more stupid than the Democrats usually are, which is saying rather a lot.

There's simply so many of the things now out in circulation, so many people who have bought them since the last AWB expired, I think it would be a much, much harder sell than it was in 93. I think ammo will be the likely target for the grabbers, it's at least not completely futile, and no doubt they'll exempt just enough "green" "hunting" ammo to pretend it's not a grabber bill.

Since no such legislation has come up for a vote in either of the houses of Congress, there is really no way of telling.

But I agree with Rob that it is most likely that if such a ban were enacted that it would grandfather existing guns and magazines. That said, I think the chances of any such ban being enacted in the next several years are slim to none. Both Reid and Pelosi have said they do not support such legislation. They remember what happened last time around and they don't want to lose their positions in the majority.

The actions of a particular police agency are rather different from the actions of Congress.

You do know the NG participated in gun confiscations,right ?

You do know the NG participated in gun confiscations,right ?
It was limited in time and scale and occurred quickly, prior to judicial review. I'm not saying it was right -- it clearly wasn't and the courts have agreed that it wasn't.

Extrapolating from that to federal legislation is, shall we say, a stretch.

Although I doubt it will happen in the next few years, it is possible that another federal AWB will pass. If it does, the legislation will grandfather existing guns and magazines -- the feds can't afford to pay compensation for confiscated guns and magazines. If such legislation did not pay compensation, it would be struck down by the courts.

Back
Top Bottom