New ALERT for H. 4552

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
Jim Wallace of GOAL just called. We need call to Sen. President Robert Travaglini urging him to bring H 4552 to the floor. Jim thinks he is with us on this, just need a push. AG Reilly and Stop Hangun Violence are trying to stall the bill until after the November elections. Sen Pres. #617 722-1500. This bill will effect more than just "Olympic" guns single action revolvers and many others qualify. Just the fact that we can get back some of our rights should be reason enough to call. If you have a spouse or kids that can call that would help. Numbers matter in the state house. Leave a message if you call after hours. Jim only asks that we be respectful. Thank you. Greg

Oh, and I'm not sure what people are calling and saying... But here's the message that I left with his office.

Hi, my name is Christopher M and I'm just following up to see how the House Bill 4552 bill Supporting Target Shooters is moving along. I contacted you back in April supporting the movement of this bill. I understand that you are a very busy man, and I'm sure that you get hundreds of calls and e-mails in a day. So I will keep this short.

As this is a very important bill to many Massachusetts residents, I feel that I need to follow up urging you to move this bill into vote. Please help the shooting sports in Massachusetts by getting this bill moving and passed.

Thank you again for taking my call. Christopher M of North Attleboro

I called.

What a worthless expenditure of 2 minutes.

Got 3 women in the space of 45 seconds, not one of whom had a clue what H 4552 was, even after I told them it was the bill protecting the rights of target shooters. The last woman told me to call the clerk's office because that's where bills are filed.

I told her it was ALREADY filed, that it was in committee and that, therefore, it was under the Senate President's jurisdiction. She agreed - and repeated her mindless asssertion about needing to call the clerk's office. [rolleyes]

I thought a better use of my time would be to e-mail Travaglini, not that his secretaries would have any better comprehension of the subject. Here's my missive:

Dear Senate President Travaglini:

I write to urge your support for H 4552, which has been bottled up in committee for several months now. This bill would assist the many Mass. residents who compete in formal target shooting competitions and who have been denied access to proper firearms and components by the Attorney General's regulations.

The bill's primary purpose is to place in the MGL the EXACT SAME LANGUAGE already set forth in the AG's regulations at 940 CMR 16.01, the reference to "formal target shooting competition." This fact alone should render any objections specious.

The type of guns affected are expensive, full-sized and made to exacting tolerances; hardly the "Saturday Night Specials" that the anti-gun elements rail against. Any such objections are similarly inaccurate.

This bill would have no effect on "public safety;" rather, it would simply allow those Mass. citizens who enjoy handgun competitions to engage in their chosen sport with competitive firearms they are now prevented from owning by the AG's "consumer safety" regulations conflicting with the MGL. As such, the bill warrants the vote it is now denied from receiving by being bottled up in committee.

Your support in this matter would be noted and greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I just got an NRA-ILA email about this very bill. It's nice to see that they haven't written Mass off completely.

Called. The woman at the other end sounded like she was familiar with the bill number--sounded like she had gotten quite a few calls on it today.

Good work guys- One shooter emailed me and said the staff at Travaglini's office said " Let me guess 4552." So I think he is getting the message. Keep up the pressure!

Travaglini's office is still directing people to the Senate Clerk's Office (I had a great woman take my call there). The bill has been AMENDED by Barrios, engrossed and now goes BACK to the House reading as follows:

[From the committee on Ethics and Rules - Buoniconti.]

[Mr. Barrios gives notice that he will move to amend by striking out all after the enacting clause and inserting in place thereof the following text:-

“SECTION 1. Section 123 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2004 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting after the first paragraph the following paragraph:-

Clauses Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of the first paragraph shall not apply to: (a) any firearm lawfully owned or possessed under a license issued under this chapter on or before October 21, 1998; or (b) any firearm designated by the secretary of public safety, with the advice of the gun control advisory board established pursuant to section 131½ of chapter 140, as a firearm solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition. The secretary of public safety shall compile a list, on a bi-annual basis, of firearms designated as formal target shooting firearms in accordance with this paragraph. Such list shall be made available for distribution by the executive office of public safety.”; and by striking out the title and inserting in place thereof the following title:- “ An Act further regulating the use of target shooting weapons.”.]

I called yesterday as well. The woman I spoke to "gave me the time of day", but that's about all. I was congenial and brief, but I got the feeling that she (they) had taken many calls on this matter (and they should!), but nevertheless, I spoke my piece and thanked her for her time. She said that she would be sure to pass the message along. One more call torwards victory...

Ahh, it appears that our favorite Senator Barrios has saved the day.

Senator Pam Resor actually wrote back to me regarding the email I sent a few weeks ago urging her to support H4552. Here's what she said:

Thank you for your correspondence regarding H 4552 "An Act Protecting the Rights of Target SHooters." In the past I have supported legislation that prohibits the purchase of certain guns that are extremely lethal, as well as high powered weapons that can be used in warfare, sniper activity or other non-recreational activities. I have read the Gun Owner's Action League fact sheet that explains H4552. My initial response is to be supportive of recreational activities that include Olympic style pistol shooting, international practical shooting competition and single action pistol competitions. I would welcome any more information that you could send me to know more about this sport and the guns used in them before I make up my mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence and I look forward to hearing from you.

Any suggestions on how best to respond?

If this passes, it will be better than where we are today, BUT it will NOT add a lot of guns to the "available list".

This section is going to automatically "knock out" a lot of guns that otherwise would be considered by most shooters as "target guns"

a firearm solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition

An "unfriendly" Sec of Public Safety (i.e. Flynn) can put the next roadblock in place. However, it at least makes it clear that the AG isn't the "judge" on this. BUT his wide-open "consumer product safety license" will allow him to ban guns that EOPS approves if he so wishes.

Last edited:
The Bbill H4552 passed the Senate 38-0 today. Jim Wallace and I were at the state house pressing flesh with senators. One amendment was attached, But we got the major portion through. Yes the EOPS will make the decision on what is a target gun, but they have shown in the past an apolitical stance- many are shooters. GOAL has a position on the board too. It will take a few proceedural matters in the house, then on to the Gov's office for signing. The Calls that all the shooters made to the state house were a leading factor in getting this done. Jim said without them we would have failed. Thank you all for taking the time. This may be a good first step. Greg

Next move...

Marcus in the Darkus said:
Senator Pam Resor actually wrote back to me

I got the same reply letter to my phone call to her office. And I was going to ask the same question, but based on the later posting, the bill has already passed.

I think now is the time to find out who did vote for it (anyone know where to see the rollcall?) and then make another round of calls thanking them. Yes, thank them for giving us some of our rights back. A little positive feedback works for dogs as Dr. Pavlov showed, maybe it works with politicians too!

cheers,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom