New Acquisitions for January 2010

Was near Collectors in Stoneham yesterday so figured I might as well stop in. A new Smith & Wesson model 60 Pro 357 mag revolver left with me. Guys in the shop were very helpful and answered all my questions. Very good selection of firearms and plenty of ammo. Transaction was very smooth and I definately will go back. Sorry no pix.

Was near Collectors in Stoneham yesterday so figured I might as well stop in. A new Smith & Wesson model 60 Pro 357 mag revolver left with me. Guys in the shop were very helpful and answered all my questions. Very good selection of firearms and plenty of ammo. Transaction was very smooth and I definately will go back. Sorry no pix.

I bought my 627 Pro from Collectors when I was in the area and figured I might as well stop in. Gun shops are dangerous places.

New Sig P229 for me - my first 40SW - nicely pairs with my P229 in 9mm, this time very old DAO version. Shot in IDPA match last weekend, no complaints (about the gun that is). Will replace P229/9mm as carry gun while my 9mm is getting the SRT trigger installed at Sig.

IMG_0595-Small.JPG

And my DPMS Panther 308Win in 2 configs that I got late last year, just never took photos, love this rifle. Shoots ~0.8MOA at 100yds so far. YHM flip up sights, Magpul PRS stock. C-More red dot, Leupold 3-10x scope

IMG_0596_2-Small.JPG

IMG_0600_2-Small.JPG

Here's my newest. Sorry for the lame pics. Groups at 25 yards.
I'm not a revolver guy but this was so cheap I absolutely had to pick it up.

2cehf77.jpg

I am not a .40 fan, but I just could not pass up this little guy. Kahr PM40 with night sights. I cannot get over how small this thing is. Once it is broken in and proven reliable I may just carry it as an extra.

PM40002.jpg

My office is on the same block as Collector's so I stop in there quite a bit. I was eyeing that Model 60 the other day. Excellent choice! IMHO.

gunshow score today.

S&W 586 (pre dash), in factory fresh nickle (no, NOT stainless...and yes, i know it needs some polishing, but cmon i JUST got it home)

all for $425

586_nickle.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my newest. Sorry for the lame pics. Groups at 25 yards.
I'm not a revolver guy but this was so cheap I absolutely had to pick it up.

2cehf77.jpg

Does that take the circular plastic caps or the paper strips?[smile]

Seriously though, what is that?

I'd like someone who understands geometric optics to explain why these old scopes were so long and narrow, compared to the scopes today. Was it because larger lenses were too expensive? Or are there extra
lenses in the newer scopes that make the same magnification possible with a shorter tube?

to look through the lens of this lyman is unreal clear.called someone today who repairs them and i was told it is a $500 scope.

I'd like someone who understands geometric optics to explain why these old scopes were so long and narrow, compared to the scopes today. Was it because larger lenses were too expensive? Or are there extra
lenses in the newer scopes that make the same magnification possible with a shorter tube?

Yes, physically larger lenses have become less expensive to make and refraction indexes have gotten better as a result of improved glass formulations and lens coatings. Also, computer aided design has allowed optics manufacturers to come up with more complicated optical designs which manifests itself in scope or camera lens designs with more elements. Or, they can make shorter scopes and retain the same magnification by using aspheric lens elements and other tricks. Using camera lenses as an example, even 20 years ago some of the zoom lenses that we have now wouldn't have been possible.

For the most part, optics have gotten way, way better though there may be exceptions to that.

Besides an early variant of the Radom VIS 35 and a Hungarian .22 Trainer made by "Lampagyar" (Lamp Company[smile]) Budapest earlier in January I've scored another Broomhandle variant in 9mm Luger today. As opposed to my other brooms she's loaded from an exchangeable mag.
Seems like she was rescued from Commiefornia at one point in her life.
Enjoy

This civilian Luger, a 1942 Mauser banner in .30 Luger, accompanied me on the way back home from the same dealer.
Not the nicest condition, but a true and honest all matching pistol. One mag is matching, the 2nd is just 2 numbers off.

P08Banner42.jpg

Back
Top Bottom