New 1911 owner unable to field strip his gun

This is a tad frustrating. I just picked up a new S&W 1911 from Collector's yesterday. This is my first 1911. When I got it home I decided to field strip the gun and run a patch through the barrel before I bring it to the range. I used the little wrench to remove the spring and the next step in disassembly was to retract the slide to where the slide catch lines up with the notch in the slide. OK, did that.

The next step is to remove the slide catch by pressing it in from the other side (right side) of the frame. That's where I got stuck. The damn thing will move a little, but not nearly enough to remove the slide catch. I tried pressing it with the flat part of the wrench to no avail. Is this something I should need a brass punch to remove, or should I be able to remove it with my finger?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I used the little wrench to remove the spring and the next step in disassembly was to retract the slide to where the slide catch lines up with the notch in the slide. OK, did that.

Just a shot in the dark, but are you using the correct notch? It's not the slide stop notch but the smaller cut-out just about an inch or so behind that notch. And insure that it stays lined up properly.

If you are using the proper procedure, my apologies.

Once you make sure you are lined up with the correct take-down notch on the slide (the hemispherical notch, not the notch for the slide stop), then try pushing it out. If it is still too hard, you can try tapping the pin on the right side of the gun with the plastic handle of a screwdriver.

If you're anywhere close to Framingham, send me a PM. We can meet up and I'll show you.

I feel your pain. This is a stage many new 1911 owners go through. I know I sure did.

Once you have everything properly aligned, you won't need to use a tool to remove the slide stop pin. Keep an eagle eye out for the tiny semi-circular notch on the slide. As others have said above, that is the one you need to align the end of the slide stop lever with.

Don't force it!

Last edited:
Neatest trick I ever learned for disassembly:

Push against the slide stop pin from the RIGHT side (trigger finger if right-handed); then RACK the slide.

VOILA! One slide stop pin disengaged.

On the left side of the slide you'll notice a tiny cut in the slide that is "U" shaped. Make sure to line that up with the back of the slide stop. When that "U" shaped cut is lined up with the slide stop it will pop right out. What is happening is you're trying to push the slidestop out without that hole lined up so the slidestop cannot go thru the metal of the slide.

Try that and let us know how you make out.

Pete

When you put the slide stop back in, make sure you are aligned with the rounded notch. If you miss it, you can sweep the end of the stop across the side of the slide and scratch it.

Thanks, guys. I was obviously lining up the wrong notch - didn't even realize the semi-circle notch was there. Got it apart and back together with no problems. I'm ready to go to the range tomorrow.

Marcus in the Darkus said:
Thanks, guys. I was obviously lining up the wrong notch - didn't even realize the semi-circle notch was there. Got it apart and back together with no problems. I'm ready to go to the range tomorrow.

Not a hard thing to do. The first time I really sat down and looked at a 1911 I thought it was a defect in the slide, or a ding put in by somthing.

For me it took FOREVER for me to figgure out how to get the slide stop BACK IN.
http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm
The pictures here show it perfectly. I found a video of it somewhere. But I think the pics are enugh!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I took it to the range today and had a blast. Shot 50 rounds of Speer Lawman ball ammo, as well as a few rounds of Federal HydraShoks and some Cor-Bon +P stuff. The gun is a pleasure to shoot and I was reasonably accurate with it but I had several instances (like more than a half dozen) where I had to bump the back of the slide to get the slide to fully close after a shot. I also experienced a couple episodes of the slide not closing properly after inserting a full magazine and slingshoting the slide - had to eject the first round.

I'll attribute these hiccups to an unbroken-in 1911 and to the fact that the gun has not been cleaned or lubed since it left the factory. That slide glide stuff looks neat - I think I'll give it a try.

For whatever it's worth, I always lubricate a gun I've just purchased before I ever fire the first shot. Even in a matter of a month, I think most gun lubes tend to dry out.

Another suggestion -- get yourself a few Wilson Combat mags, and you'll never want any others. Great stuff!

The gun shouldn't have been jamming up on you. Did you have any lube on the rails? 1911's need some type of lube or grease. I've been using Slide Glide for years and I love it. Others say they've had issues with it. I personally haven't. Any issues with the gun could be mag related.

Pete

PistolPete said:
Others say they've had issues with it. I personally haven't.

That's me. I don't like how sticky it can be. Sticky stuff picks up dust. I've also felt that my slide was slow with it when I used it on a cold day. I like Break Free.

Have someone check out your gun if it continues to have those closing problems.

Back
Top Bottom