never shot competition before...

Hey guys, I've never shot competitions before but lately I've really been itching to get involved in it. I've been shooting for about 3 years now, mostly pistol with a little rifle...all just target shooting at a nearby range. I've never done any sort of competition shooting or move/shoot type of shooting...just standing there shooting at a piece of paper is only so fun...looking for a bit more of a challenge/fun.

I know literally nothing about getting started. I tried browsing the IDPA website but unfortunately I'm at work for the next 2 weeks (I work on oil rigs in the gulf of mexico) and my company blocks most gun-related websites [angry]

Northeastshooters luckily isnt blocked, but IDPA and just about everything else is so I figured I'd start a thread here and get some info.

Any particular gear needed other than the obvious? Pistol, magazines, good holster/belt, eye/ear protecting of course...anything else I'm missing?

I live in NH so I'd like to keep the matches as local as possible...NH and ME would be ideal. I saw the "2013 Pistol Competition" calendar thats posted here...there are 2 in NH coming up I'll be home for. April 13 at 0800 is an IDPA Classifier @ Epping, NH and the next day, April 14 is IDPA 3 gun or pistol @ Holderness, NH. Are either of these a good opportunity for a brand new guy to get in on it?

Are any particular types of competitions more "beginner friendly"? I know the gun community in general is very welcoming and helpful to newbies, but I dont want to find myself in the middle of a serious competition and not having any idea what Im doing...would like to start slow and go from there.

Any info at all about where to start would be great, thanks!!

If you got a DVD player, you could pick up some of DVD's from Panteao - buy only the one's with Bob Vogel (he is a god)

You can buy here: http://www.panteaoproductions.com/products/bob-vogel-mastering

[video=youtube_share;gayVadGPCe0]http://youtu.be/gayVadGPCe0[/video]

I think when you join IDPA they send you a different video from Panteao as well. Both are good references if you're stuck in the middle of no where.

Oh, and you'll need some form of cover garment (shirt or vest) that covers the gun. Fishing/photo vest are popular, but anything semi long will probably due.

Metrowesttactical is holding an Intro to IDPA course in April at Harvard Sportsmen's Club. It is great intro that will teach you the rules, the basics of drawing from a holster, and you'll get to shoot several stages with master level shooters.

ETA: There is more information about the Intro class here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/[email protected]

Last edited:
Take a look at USPSA as well as IDPA to see which one suits your style...then do both [wink]. I haven't tried IDPA yet but I squad with a lot of fishing vest guys at USPSA matches, a lot of shooters do both. IDPA attempts to be more tactical in focus with scenarios modeled after real world situations and dictates the order in which targets should be engaged and things like using cover. USPSA is just run, gun, and have fun..you have a stage and are given a few loose rules like start here with your hands at your sides or maybe those 3 targets need to be engaged from this 2x2' box but other than that it's on you to shoot it how you like.

Basic gear is going to be a holster and magazine carriers + the fashionable fishing vest if you're doing IDPA. You will find that both sports, along with others like Steel Challenge, are very friendly to newcomers. Check with some of the clubs near your house and see if any run regular practice sessions or take one of the classes that have been mentioned. If neither of those work out then just show up with your gear at a local match and talk to the guys that are running it, they'll help you out. Leave your gear stowed in the bag until they give you the safety rules and such....

If you're going to be home on April 14th and want to give USPSA a try there's a fundraiser match at Harvard Sportsmans for a great cause. because it's a fundraiser a lot of first timers come out to support the cause and give it a try so its a good time to get your first match in [wink]

I have been interested in trying this as well. I was going to do the class in April, but I have a wedding to go to the same day. I am going to try and make a practice session to give it a try one of these days....

Never tried IDPA before but I know my club hosts matches throughout the summer. Check out Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton NH. They have matches the 3rd Saturday of the month starting in May and are running an intro/practice clinic the Wednesday prior to each match. Probably gonna check it out myself. Good luck.

Jeff

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Unfortunately the April "Intro to IDPA" course at Harvard Sports Club is already booked...Im on the waiting list but I'm told its very long.

I just read up a little on Pioneer Sportsmen club in Dunbarton...that's only an hour from me, so that will work better anyway. I'm going to try to get to a Wednesday "practice" session when I can, that sounds like it'd be perfect for me.

Thanks guys, the more I read about this the more excited I get to try it out. I'll just need to get a magazine carrier...should have everything else.

Never tried IDPA before but I know my club hosts matches throughout the summer. Check out Pioneer Sportsmen in Dunbarton NH. They have matches the 3rd Saturday of the month starting in May and are running an intro/practice clinic the Wednesday prior to each match. Probably gonna check it out myself. Good luck.

Jeff

I have attended several matches at Pioneer in Dunbarton. They put on a great match. Nice group of people, I can't say enough good things about them.

IDPA is a lot of fun & if you go to a club and let them know you are new they should be happy to have
you,show you the ropes,and let you shoot last so you can watch how it is done.If you want A class
GOAL has this list

INTRO TO IDPA
GOAL.ORG
May 7 *FULL*
September 11
September 28
October 15
Members $65.00
Non-Members $95.00

9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Are any particular types of competitions more "beginner friendly"? I know the gun community in general is very welcoming and helpful to newbies, but I dont want to find myself in the middle of a serious competition and not having any idea what Im doing...would like to start slow and go from there.

Personally I like your view of things. I've SO'd and RO'd many new shooters and your concern is a valid one. Definitely get to some practices first. Most clubs have a representative- shoot them a message. Let them know your position I'm sure they will find someone the help you out. If you can get to an into class all the better but they seem to filling up like crazy. Many people will tell you to just go shoot a match- I'd suggest watching a match just to get an idea of what's going on. If you like what you see it will only motivate your more.... and your first match will likely be that much better.

Back
Top Bottom