• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Net

Mine didn't but I'm repairing it now, :)

Good luck getting it repaired. I posted earlier that all my antennas made it through the storm. They did. So I get home today about 5:30 and decide to crank up my tower. I had it nested during the storm. Just as I get it fully extended I hear a pop and the tower starts making its way back to the nested position in a big hurry. I ran because I didn't really know what to expect. I suspected the tower was going to bend into a pile of junk metal. Luckily the tower seems ok. Except of course for the cable which needs to be replaced. Im building a new steppir and I had planned to replace the cable when I install that in a week or so. Oops! Turns out the antennas can handle a hurricane a lot better than they can a sudden stop. I need parts :(

Good luck getting it repaired. I posted earlier that all my antennas made it through the storm. They did. So I get home today about 5:30 and decide to crank up my tower. I had it nested during the storm. Just as I get it fully extended I hear a pop and the tower starts making its way back to the nested position in a big hurry. I ran because I didn't really know what to expect. I suspected the tower was going to bend into a pile of junk metal. Luckily the tower seems ok. Except of course for the cable which needs to be replaced. Im building a new steppir and I had planned to replace the cable when I install that in a week or so. Oops! Turns out the antennas can handle a hurricane a lot better than they can a sudden stop. I need parts :(
Yikes. Get the crap scared out of you and the stuffing nocked out of your wallet all with one broken cable. And there goes all your spare time too. Good luck with the repairs, and I can't wait to hear your reports on the Steppir. Those are supposed to be the outstanding antennas.

Yikes. Get the crap scared out of you and the stuffing nocked out of your wallet all with one broken cable. And there goes all your spare time too. Good luck with the repairs, and I can't wait to hear your reports on the Steppir. Those are supposed to be the outstanding antennas.

Yup. I thought the tower was going to basically implode. As I was getting out of the way I was thinking that I was going to be buying a new tower. Luckily that's not the case. The antennas got banged up. Basically bent when the assembly stopped I think I can order parts from cushcraft and have them back operational. Plan was/is to sell them once the steppir is up. So if the parts are reasonably priced I'll repair them.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the assembly of the steppir. I got the db18. Amazing quality of parts and design. The downside is the number of moving parts that will be up on the tower. I'll let you know how it all goes. Hopefully I can getmworking in the tower this weekend.

OK, I'll bite. What's the NES net? Talk of stringing wires makes even me think it's HF. Mode, Freq & Sked?

73 John KK1X
We keep trying to get everyone at their shacks at the same time, but it rarely happens. We don't have anything regular on HF or VHF. We should get better at it as the colder weather keeps us inside.

For prepping for SHTF communications, I want to play some kind of game on 2M simplex where someone starts a message and we see how many of us we can get it to. If half the state is without power and comm it would be good to have a simplex frequency, a standard check-in time and some idea of who we can hit and who can help hop-scotch a message far enough away to where the phones work.

I'm upping my level of prepping. Things are getting weird. My house got approached by dozens of zombies last night. I didn't have to kill any though. For some reason they wanted candy instead of brains. What a relief.

Mine didn't but I'm repairing it now, :)

That sucks.

The Waltham 449.075 antenna on Prospect Hill got trashed in the storm.
There's talk of maybe getting a replacement up this weekend.
Until then, most normal activity has moved to the other Waltham machine (KC2LT) on the Antico Tower @ 443.050+, PL 107.2

We keep trying to get everyone at their shacks at the same time, but it rarely happens. We don't have anything regular on HF or VHF. We should get better at it as the colder weather keeps us inside.

For prepping for SHTF communications, I want to play some kind of game on 2M simplex where someone starts a message and we see how many of us we can get it to. If half the state is without power and comm it would be good to have a simplex frequency, a standard check-in time and some idea of who we can hit and who can help hop-scotch a message far enough away to where the phones work. ...

What you need is someone to patch in a CB and an FRS into the 2M, so you can reach a MUCH broader audience. Those of you who know a lot about this stuff and have the equipment could probably pull it off. Imagine someone talking into an FRS walkie-talkie in Pittsfield, having it go through a HAM, and then back to another FRS or a CB up in Salem? That would be SO cool.

What you need is someone to patch in a CB and an FRS into the 2M, so you can reach a MUCH broader audience. Those of you who know a lot about this stuff and have the equipment could probably pull it off. Imagine someone talking into an FRS walkie-talkie in Pittsfield, having it go through a HAM, and then back to another FRS or a CB up in Salem? That would be SO cool.
Good thought. The rules don't allow that kind of band mixing, but when the SHTF the rules go out the window.

Used gear is good. Transistors don't get rusty or wear out over time.
QRZ.com
swap.qth.com
eham.net
eBay (last on the list)
and I'm sure there are others.

I just got a new (to me) HF mulitband antenna, I was given it and now I need to run the wires. I need to get this and my dipole up as my end fed SUCKS and doesn't work well.

I need help. Who wants to come to North and help me put up two antennas?

Back
Top Bottom