• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.185 net "Bang Bang Rifle Shot"???

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Every once in while I run across a net on HF and I hear very strange signal reports (?) like "Bang Bang Rifle Shot" and other seemingly inanities like this. WTF are they talking about. In the 40 years I've been a ham, I've never been able to figure what they are talking about.

Every once in while I run across a net on HF and I hear very strange signal reports (?) like "Bang Bang Rifle Shot" and other seemingly inanities like this. WTF are they talking about. In the 40 years I've been a ham, I've never been able to figure what they are talking about.

I think it is someone telling someone else their RS(T) is 22.
Those types of nets are stupid, a bunch of shit sippers being feed contacts.

Some of the service and traffic nets served a purpose and may still in some instances, although that is arguable in the age of satellite phones.

The Maritime Service Net on 14.300 MHz actually helped out boats in distress on a couple occasions as I understands it. But it was also populated by ass clown frequency cops who would come up or down the band 15 kHz to chase folks away and if they didn't leave the net guy would jam them; which was ironic.

🐯

The lowest possible signal report that a radio operator can give or receive and still have the contact count as a proper two-way contact on a phone mode is 22. A lot of directed DX nets pull this crap when a little pistol is trying to work a big gun station, hence you will hear " 22 22 rifle shot."

Thanks gents...it certainly is strange. I had a friend that was/is really into the 10-10 nets. He encouraged me to look into them...it's just not for me...like CatSnoutSoup mentioned so succinctly, it's like a bunch of shit sippers being fed contacts. Not my style...same as county hunters or POTAs. I get the POTA thing but it's become so serious that I've heard fights break out on these nets. I guess the is "POTA", then there is WWFF, aka World Wide Flora & Fauna, and I guess there is some bad blood between the two groups, which is really stupid but hey, whatever floats their boats I guess.

Is this one of those nets with 100+ people waiting in line to make a contact? I don't get those, but I can see if you're trying to get some rare places it's a way to do it. But to be honest I don't really get most nets anyway.

Is this one of those nets with 100+ people waiting in line to make a contact? I don't get those, but I can see if you're trying to get some rare places it's a way to do it. But to be honest I don't really get most nets anyway.
I'm guessing that's the type of net this was...I didn't hang around long :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom