NES HF net?

I was thinking on a lighter level, like "Hi, this is TD from NES." "Hi, this is coyote."
"I live in Worcester." "I live in Westford." "What do you think of this new law?" etc.

Any chance of resurrecting this idea?

You reference the Paxton repeater often. That is 2m which is not HF.

I was thinking on a lighter level, like "Hi, this is TD from NES." "Hi, this is coyote."
"I live in Worcester." "I live in Westford." "What do you think of this new law?" etc.

You still don't have your ticket, right? Hard for you to respond "Hi, this is coyote" when you would get called out for not including a call.

Take it slow my friend. Have you found a local testing place? Have you scheduled the test for technician?

Having done the net thing on another forum, I'd have to say that member participation is key to success. We tried hard to get as many involved to be able to go coast to coast but most couldnt give up the time or had better things to do. If it's the same three guys every week it's not a net it's just a QSO.

Having done the net thing on another forum, I'd have to say that member participation is key to success. We tried hard to get as many involved to be able to go coast to coast but most couldnt give up the time or had better things to do. If it's the same three guys every week it's not a net it's just a QSO.
I think it's hard to find a time that's good for everyone. Late night is best for me.

I think it's hard to find a time that's good for everyone. Late night is best for me.
We pushed from 7pm eastern to 11 pm eastern trying different things and accommodating people with kids and / or livestock.
It always ends up with the old guys and 2nd shift widower.
On 40 or 80 with Olivia.
I think I threw out an invite on one of the threads a couple of years ago.
Gone now. Just me and another old boy on the west coast.

Currently monitoring the Paxton Repeater waiting for the net to start. Anyone else?
Aha. It was you. I heard you mention NES. They then commented that it was unusual for them to get someone from Wilbraham. I mentioned this over in the George's thread before just now. Thanks for doing this.

1. It is someone I may have previously conversed with on here.
2. It gets word out about NES.
3. It gets some representation of more Western Massachusetts for a change, which is encouraging for me to consider trying to reach the Warren repeater and maybe my daughter in Amherst.
4. If anyone here is West of the Quabbin, I would be very interested in seeing if you can reach Warren Repeater , or even as far East as Paxton repeater.

Last edited:
I signed onto the Georges net tonight and did a shout-out to any NES members that were on. No one from NES was on except for me???? This is why the NES net never works!!!

I have no problem reaching the Warren Repeater. Yes it was me from Wilbraham MA tonight N1HM unfortunately I was the only one from NES this is why the NES NET never worked no one wants to participate

I have no problem reaching the Warren Repeater. Yes it was me from Wilbraham MA tonight N1HM unfortunately I was the only one from NES this is why the NES NET never worked no one wants to participate
I will do it once I get my license.

The Warren repeater gets some mixed reviews. One guy mentioned Vermont, but there is also a Warren, Vermont repeater.

1678239572462.png

I signed onto the Georges net tonight and did a shout-out to any NES members that were on. No one from NES was on except for me???? This is why the NES net never works!!!
Don't give up after one try! I've been listening for a few weeks, trying to get a handle on things. Still fiddling with setting up the Baofeng. Will eventually get a license and then start to communicate on there.

Don't give up after one try! I've been listening for a few weeks, trying to get a handle on things. Still fiddling with setting up the Baofeng. Will eventually get a license and then start to communicate on there.

I just looked and there are a bunch of tests coming up near the Worcester area. In addition to studying for the test, there are a couple more steps you need to do before taking the test. I described it in some other thread. They're easy.

I'm not too far from the Waltham repeater. I can hit Paxton. Not sure about Warren. I think it's only a few miles further out

I've been listening for a few weeks, trying to get a handle on things. Still fiddling with setting up the Baofeng. Will eventually get a license and then start to communicate on there.
If you want to get licensed by the end of May there is a class at Bay Path in Charlton. It starts April 10th and runs for six Monday nights with a test session on the last night. Click on this link and go down to page 15: catalog.pdf (baypath.net) The Quaboag Valley Amateur Radio Club covers the textbook and exam fees and I think you live in a town that gets a discount on the Bay Path tuition.

Full disclosure: I'm a member of QVARC and participate with instruction and testing. The club receives a small part of the tuition fee which is used to support the Warren repeater and club activities.

Will there be any one else checking in to the George's Net at 7:30PM tonight? I will try to check in again tonight and give a shout out to NES. If you stay on after the Net we can qso on the repeater.

Will there be any one else checking in to the George's Net at 7:30PM tonight? I will try to check in again tonight and give a shout out to NES. If you stay on after the Net we can qso on the repeater.
I'll give wilbraham a try at some point in the next day or two. I have a yagi for 2m. I think it's about 70 miles. Can't do George's net tonight but will try for tomorrow

I don't think you can hit the Wilbraham repeater. Actually it is the Monson repeater located on Wilbraham Mt. Let me know when you will try to hit the Monson repeater located on Wilbraham Mt. In Wilbraham MA. I will be by my radio listeningThe George's Net is in Paxton you might be able to hit that one

I'll give wilbraham a try at some point in the next day or two. I have a yagi for 2m. I think it's about 70 miles. Can't do George's net tonight but will try for tomorrow
Cool. You could try the one in Monson (see JDL's post), or also the one in Warren, which should reach to Wilbraham (somewhat between Paxton and Wilbraham).
Will listen for you on George's.

I don't think you can hit the Wilbraham repeater. Actually it is the Monson repeater located on Wilbraham Mt. Let me know when you will try to hit the Monson repeater located on Wilbraham Mt. In Wilbraham MA. I will be by my radio listeningThe George's Net is in Paxton you might be able to hit that one
Again. Try Paxton, then Warren, THEN Wilbraham (increasing distance from Waltham, if that's where you are).

I will try to remember to listen to it. Will let you know back here if I heard you OK. Would be great to hear a few more people on there, and I think they would love to have some more new people on there. Maybe if there's enough, eventually, there could be an "NES Net" of its own, maybe at 10:00 PM, so people have time to wrap up family stuff?

I can definitely hit paxton. I'm assuming this is the 'wilbraham' repeater Wilbraham Amateur Radio Repeaters

No one got back to me I called out after the net on the Paxton repeater no one responded. This is why this never works no one participates.
I have tried this before and it never happend.

Don't give up. This was only the second night.

Give it a try see if you can open up the repeater.
You want to try the Warren repeater? I'll try to put it on and listen for you. I won't say anything back on the radio, but will reply here if I hear you. I would REALLY like to see if that works for me.

No one got back to me I called out after the net on the Paxton repeater no one responded. This is why this never works no one participates.
I have tried this before and it never happend.
Keep trying. Someone will join. If not, I will hopefully by the end of the month. It wouldn't hurt to get your foot in the door there, and others will come eventually.

I'm listening on 147.2100 right now. Again, can't reply back, but can let you know here. I'd be happy just to know I can receive broadcasts at this point. The only things I've heard to date are "George's Net", weather radio, and police/fire channels.

@JDL
@Realtor MA
@breslau
@240Geezer

Back
Top Bottom